Predicting moisture dynamics of fine understory fuels in a moist tropical rainforest system: results of a pilot study undertaken to identify proxy variables useful for rating fire danger
Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Amazonian rain forests and drought’
Volume 187, Issue 3, pages 720–732, August 2010
How to Cite
Ray, D., Nepstad, D. and Brando, P. (2010), Predicting moisture dynamics of fine understory fuels in a moist tropical rainforest system: results of a pilot study undertaken to identify proxy variables useful for rating fire danger. New Phytologist, 187: 720–732. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03358.x
- Issue online: 19 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2010
- Received: 13 October 2009, Accepted: 27 May 2010
- 2006. Forest understory fire in the Brazilian Amazon in ENSO and no-ENSO years: area burned and committed carbon emissions. Earth Interactions 10: article no. 6, 1–17. , , .
- 2004. Modeling forest understory fire in an eastern Amazon landscape. Ecological Applications 14: S139–S149. , , .
- 2008. Negative fire feedback in a transitional forest of southeastern Amazonia. Global Change Biology 14: 2276–2287. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Fire-mediated dieback and compositional cascade in an Amazonian forest. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B: Biological Sciences 363: 1787–1794. , .
- 2005. Modest trade-offs between timber management and fire susceptibility of a Bolivian semi-deciduous forest. Ecological Applications 15: 1649–1663. .
- 1988. 1988 Revisions to the 1978 National Fire-Danger Rating System. Res. Pap. SE-273. Asheville, NC: US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southeastern Forest Experiment Station, 39. .
- 2001. Tree damage, allometric relationships, and above-ground net primary production in central Amazon forest. Forest Ecology and Management 152: 73–84. , , , .
- 2001. Synergistic interactions between habitat fragmentation and fire in evergreen tropical forests. Conservation Biology 15: 1515–1521. .
- 2003. Fire science for rainforests. Nature 421: 913–919. .
- 1999. Positive feedbacks in the fire dynamic of closed canopy tropical forests. Science 284: 1832–1835. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Fire as a recurrent event in tropical forests of the eastern Amazon: effects on forest structure, biomass, and species composition. Biotropica 31: 2–16. , .
- 2008. Increasing risk of Amazonian drought due to decreasing aerosol pollution. Nature 453: 212–215. , , , , , , , , .
- 1977. The National Fire-Danger Rating System – 1978. USDA Forest Service General Technical Report INT-39. Ogden, Utah, USA: Intermountain Forest and Range Experiment Station, 63. , , .
- 1971. Derivation of the 1- and 10-hour timelag fuel moisture calculations for fire-danger rating. Research Note RM-207. Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station, Fort Collins, Colorado: United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, 8. , .
- 2000. Integrating liana abundance and forest stature into an estimate of total aboveground biomass for an eastern Amazonian forest. Journal of Tropical Ecology 16: 327–335. , .
- 2007. Development of the Indonesian and Malaysian fire danger rating systems. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 12: 165–180. , , , , .
- 1997. Fire in Amazonian selectively logged rain forest and the potential for fire reduction. Ecological Applications 7: 713–725. , .
- 1999. Biomass, carbon, and nutrient dynamics of secondary forests in a humid tropical region of Mexico. Ecology 80: 1892–1907. , , .
- 1989. Effects of isolation on the water status of forest patches in the Brazilian Amazon. Journal of Tropical Ecology 5: 173–185. .
- 2001. Positive feedbacks among forest fragmentation, drought, and climate change in the Amazon. Conservation Biology 15: 1529–1535. , .
- 2002. Total aboveground biomass in central Amazonian rainforests: a landscape-scale study. Forest Ecology and Management 168: 311–321. , .
- 1999. Allometric regressions for improved estimate of secondary forest biomass in the central Amazon. Forest Ecology and Management 117: 149–167. , , , , , .
- 1994. The role of deep roots in the hydrological and carbon cycles of Amazonian forests and pastures. Nature 372: 666–669. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Amazon drought and its implications for forest flammability and tree growth: a basin-wide analysis. Global Change Biology 10: 704–717. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Large-scale impoverishment of Amazonian forests by logging and fire. Nature 398: 505–508. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The effect of partial throughfall exclusion on canopy processes and biogeochemistry of an Amazon forest. Journal of Geophysical Research 107: 1–18. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Micrometeorological and canopy controls of fire susceptibility in a forested Amazon landscape. Ecological Applications 15: 1664–1678. , , .
- 2007. Climate change consequences on the biome distribution in tropical South America. Geophysical Research Letters 34: 1–6. , , .
- 2009. A simple index for assessing fire danger rating. Environmental Modelling & Software 24: 764–774. , , , .
- 1990. Deforestation, fire susceptibility, and potential tree responses to fire in the eastern Amazon. Ecology 71: 437–449. , .
- 1988. Fire in the Venezuelan Amazon 2: environmental conditions necessary for forest fires in the evergreen rainforest of Venezuela. Oikos 53: 176–184. , , .
- 1987. Development and structure of the Canadian forest fire weather system. In: Forestry Technical Report 35. Ottawa, ON: Canadian Forest Service, 37. .