Intracellular expression of a host-selective toxin, ToxA, in diverse plants phenocopies silencing of a ToxA-interacting protein, ToxABP1
Article first published online: 14 JUL 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Effectors in plant–microbe interactions’
Volume 187, Issue 4, pages 1034–1047, September 2010
How to Cite
Manning, V. A., Chu, A. L., Scofield, S. R. and Ciuffetti, L. M. (2010), Intracellular expression of a host-selective toxin, ToxA, in diverse plants phenocopies silencing of a ToxA-interacting protein, ToxABP1. New Phytologist, 187: 1034–1047. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03363.x
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 14 JUL 2010
- Received: 28 February 2010, Accepted: 19 May 2010
- 1990. Basic local alignment search tool. Journal of Molecular Biology 215: 403–410. , , , , .
- 1999. Genetic analysis of sensitivity to a Pyrenophora tritici-repentis necrosis-inducing toxin in durum and common wheat. Phytopathology 89: 293–297. , , , , , .
- 1989. Purification and characterization of a host-selective necrosis toxin from Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Physiological Molecular Plant Pathology 35: 203–213. , , .
- 1996. Cloning, expression and occurrence of the gene encoding the Ptr necrosis toxin from Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Molecular Plant Pathology On-line http://www.bspp.org.uk/mppol/1996/1209ballance/index.htm. , , , .
- 2007. Stability of Barley stripe mosaic virus-induced gene silencing in barley. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interaction 20: 1323–1331. , , , .
- 1998. Standardization of toxin nomenclature in the Pyrenophora tritici-repentis/wheat interaction. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 20: 421–424. , , , , , , .
- 1997. A single gene encodes a selective toxin causal to the development of tan spot of wheat. The Plant Cell 9: 135–144. , , .
- 2002. The oat mitochondrial permeability transition and its implication in victorin binding and induced cell death. Plant Journal 29: 295–312. , .
- 1996. Chromosomal location of a gene conditioning insensitivity in wheat to a necrosis-inducing culture filtrate from Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Phytopathology 86: 459–463. , , , .
- 2006. Emergence of a new disease as a result of interspecific virulence gene transfer. Nature Genetics 38: 953–956. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Inheritance of race-specific necrotic and chlorotic reactions induced by Pyrenophora tritici-repentis in hexaploid wheats. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 20: 401–407. , , .
- 2001. Evidence for symplastic phloem unloading in sink leaves of barley. Plant Physiology 125: 209–218. , , , .
- 2005. Virus-induced gene silencing-based functional characterization of genes associated with powdery mildew resistance in barley. Plant Physiology 138: 2155–2164. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Barley stripe mosaic virus-induced gene silencing in a monocot plant. Plant Journal 30: 315–327. , , , .
- 2006. The plastid protein THYLAKOID FORMATION1 and the plasma membrane G-protein GPA1 interact in a novel sugar-signaling mechanism in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 18: 1226–1238. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Psb29, a conserved 22-kD protein, functions in the biogenesis of photosystem II complexes in Synechocystis and Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 17: 2768–2781. , , , , .
- 1995. In planta production and antibody neutralization of the Ptr necrosis toxin from Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Phytopathology 85: 333–338. , , , .
- 2001. Requirements for cell-to-cell movement of Barley stripe mosaic virus in monocot and dicot hosts. Molecular Plant Pathology 2: 65–75. , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2−ΔΔCT method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2004. Ptr ToxA requires multiple motifs for complete activity. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 17: 491–501. , , , .
- 2009. A host-selective toxin of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis, Ptr ToxA, induces photosystem changes and reactive oxygen species accumulation in sensitive wheat. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 22: 665–676. , , , , .
- 2005. Localization of Ptr ToxA produced by Pyrenophora tritici-repentis reveals protein import into wheat mesophyll cells. Plant Cell 17: 3203–3212. , .
- 2008. The Arg-Gly-Asp-containing, solvent-exposed loop of Ptr ToxA is required for internalization. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 21: 315–325. , , , .
- 2007. Ptr ToxA interacts with a chloroplast-localized protein. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 168–177. , , .
- 2009. Blufensin1 negatively impacts basal defense in response to barley powdery mildew. Plant Physiology 149: 271–285. , , .
- 2001. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Fusarium oxysporum: an efficient tool for insertional mutagenesis and gene transfer. Phytopathology 91: 173–180. , , , , , .
- 2009. Transcriptional reprogramming induced by Ptr ToxA in wheat provides insights into the mechanisms of plant susceptibility. Molecular Plant 2: 1067–1083. , , , , , .
- 1989. Infectious barley stripe mosaic virus RNA transcribed in vitro from full-length genomic cDNA clones. Virology 171: 342–349. , , , .
- 1990. Identification of barley stripe mosaic virus genes involved in viral RNA replication and systemic movement. EMBO J 9: 3453–3457. , , , .
- 1989. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. , , .
- 2005. Structure of Ptr ToxA: an RGD-containing host-selective toxin from Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Plant Cell 17: 3190–3202. , , , .
- 2005. Development of a virus-induced gene-silencing system for hexaploid wheat and its use in functional analysis of the Lr21-mediated leaf rust resistance pathway. Plant Physiology 138: 2165–2173. , , , .
- 2009. Resources for virus-induced gene silencing in the grasses. Plant Physiology 149: 152–157. , .
- 1996. A gene for resistance to a necrosis-inducing isolate of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis located on 5BL of Triticum aestivum cv. Chinese spring. Genome 39: 598–604. , , .
- 2007. Dual applications of a virus vector for studies of wheat–fungal interactions. Biotechnology 6: 288–291. , .
- 2007. Functional characterization of ToxA and molecular identification of its intracellular targeting protein in wheat. American Journal of Plant Physiology 2: 76–89. , , .
- 1990. Purification of a cultivar-specific toxin from Pyrenophora tritici-repentis, causal agent of tan spot of wheat. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interaction 3: 221–224. , , , , .
- 1995. Purification and immunological characterization of toxic components from cultures of Pyrenophora tritici-repentis. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 8: 41–48. , , .
- 2000. Heterologous expression of functional Ptr ToxA. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 13: 456–464. , , .
- 2004. Deletion of the chloroplast-localized Thylakoid formation1 gene product in Arabidopsis leads to deficient thylakoid formation and variegated leaves. Plant Physiology 136: 3594–3604. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Long-distance movement, virulence, and RNA silencing suppression controlled by a single protein in hordei- and potyviruses: complementary functions between virus families. Journal of Virology 76: 12981–12991. , , , , .
- 2009a. A cation/proton-exchanging protein is a candidate for the barley NecS1 gene controlling necrosis and enhanced defense response to stem rust. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 118: 385–397. , , , , , , , .
- 2009b. Activation of the heterotrimeric G protein alpha-subunit GPA1 suppresses the FtsH-mediated inhibition of chloroplast development in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 58: 1041–1053. , , , , , , , , , .