Wind and mechanical stimuli differentially affect leaf traits in Plantago major
Article first published online: 20 JUL 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Pollinator-mediated selection and floral evolution’
Volume 188, Issue 2, pages 554–564, October 2010
How to Cite
Anten, N. P. R., Alcalá-Herrera, R., Schieving, F. and Onoda, Y. (2010), Wind and mechanical stimuli differentially affect leaf traits in Plantago major. New Phytologist, 188: 554–564. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03379.x
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 20 JUL 2010
- Received: 18 March 2010, Accepted: 3 June 2010
- 2005. Effects of mechanical stress and plant density on mechanical characteristics, growth and lifetime reproduction of tobacco plants. American Naturalist 166: 650–660. , , .
- 2009. Interactive effects of spectral shading and mechanical stress on the expression and costs of shade avoidance. American Naturalist 173: 241–255. , , , .
- 1980. Thigmomorphogenesis: changes in cell division and elongation in the internodes of mechanically-perturbed or ethrel-treated bean plants. Annals of Botany 45: 655–664. , , , .
- 2005. In touch: plant responses to mechanical stimuli. New Phytologist 165: 373–389. .
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Advances in Genetics 13: 115–155. .
- 1997. Wind-induced mechanical stimulation increases pers resistance in common bean. Oecologia 111: 84–90. .
- 1999. Costs to flowering of the production of a mechanically hardened phenotype in Brassica napus L. International Journal of Plant Sciences 160: 735–741. .
- 1999. Ecophysiology of Cecropia schreberiana saplings in two wind regimes in an elfin cloud forest: growth, gas exchange, architecture and stem biomechanics. Tree Physiology 19: 53–163. .
- 1997. Wind as an ecological factor. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 12: 108–111. .
- 2008. Transcriptomic changes in wind-exposed poplar leaves are dependent on developmental stage. Planta 228: 757–764. , , , , , , .
- 1996. A comparative study of the response of the roots and shoots of sunflower and maize to mechanical stimulation. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1499–1507. , .
- 1977. Plant responses to wind. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 2002. Interactive effects of lateral shade and wind on stem allometry, biomass allocation and mechanical stability in Abutilon theophrasti (Malvaceae). American Journal of Botany 89: 1609–1615. , .
- 1973. Thigmomorphogenesis: the response of plant growth and development to mechanical stimulation. Planta 114: 143–157. .
- 1993. Thigmomorphogenesis: the effect of mechanical perturbation on plants. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 12: 313–324. , .
- 1992. Plantago: a multidisciplinary study (Ecology Studies, Vol. 89). Berlin, Germany: Springer Verlag. , .
- 1998. Plant physiological ecology. Springer Verlag, New York, USA. , , .
- 1982. Wind stress and elfin stature in a montane forest tree: an adaptive explanation. American Journal of Botany 69: 1224–1230. .
- 2007. The effects of mechanical stress and spectral shading on the growth and allocation of ten genotypes of a stoloniferous plant. Annals of Botany 99: 121–130. , , , .
- 2004. Adaptation to natural flow regimes. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19: 94–100. , .
- 1980. A model for C3 leaves describing the dependence of net photosynthesis on irradiance. Journal of Experimental Botany 31: 29–39. , .
- 2010. Wind affects morphology, function and chemistry of eucalypt tree seedlings. International Journal of Plant Sciences 17: 73–80. , , , , .
- 2002. Petiole mechanics, leaf inclination morphology and investment in support in relation to light availability in the canopy of Liriodendron tulipifera. Oecologia 132: 21–33. , .
- 1992. Plant biomechanics: an engineering approach to plant form and function. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1996. Differences between Acer saccharum leaves from open and wind-protected sites. Annals of Botany 78: 61–66. .
- 1998. Effects of vibration on mechanical properties and biomass allocation pattern of Capsella bursa-pastoris (Cruciferae). Annals of Botany 82: 147–156. .
- 2006. Functional consequences of stenophylly for leaf productivity: comparison of the anatomy and physiology of a rheophyte, Farfugium japonicum var. Luchuence, and a related non-rheophyte, F. japonicum (Asteraceae). Journal of Plant Research 119: 645–656. , , .
- 2008. Effect of light and nutrient availabilities on leaf mechanical properties. Annals of Botany 101: 727–736. , , .
- 2003. Characterizing sclerophylly: the mechanical properties of a diverse range of leaf types. New Phytologist 160: 81–99. , .
- 2006. Plant biomechanics in an ecological context. American Journal of Botany 93: 1546–1565. , .
- 1992. Effects of wind speed on growth and biomass allocation of white mustard Sinapis alba. Oecologia 92: 113–123. , .
- 2002. The hydraulic conductance of the angiosperm leaf lamina: a comparison of three measurement methods. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 2177–2184. , , , .
- 2007. Above-ground biomass investments and light interception of tropical forest trees early in succession. Annals of Botany 99: 141–151. , , , , .
- 2003. The effects of air flow and stem flexure on the mechanical and hydraulic properties of the stems of sunflowers Helianthus annuus L. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 845–849. , .
- 2003. Field measurements of wind speed and reconfiguration in Arundo donax (Poaceae) with estimates of drag forces. American Journal of Botany 90: 1253–1256. .
- 1990. Growth, wood density and ethylene production in response to mechanical perturbation in Pinus taeda. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 1277–1282. .
- 1995. Wind induced physiological and developmental responses in trees. In: Coutts MP, Grace J, eds. Wind and trees. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 237–263. .
- 1998. Thigmomorphogenesis: a dose response to flexing in Ulmus americana L. seedlings. Tree Physiology 18: 65–68. , .
- 1994. Life in moving fluids. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 1976. Mechanical design in organisms. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press, 423. , , , .
- 1984. Microscopic features of wind damage to leaves of Acer pseudoplatanus L. Annals of Botany 53: 73–82. .