Soil moisture depletion under simulated drought in the Amazon: impacts on deep root uptake
Article first published online: 19 JUL 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Amazonian rain forests and drought’
Volume 187, Issue 3, pages 592–607, August 2010
How to Cite
Markewitz, D., Devine, S., Davidson, E. A., Brando, P. and Nepstad, D. C. (2010), Soil moisture depletion under simulated drought in the Amazon: impacts on deep root uptake. New Phytologist, 187: 592–607. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03391.x
- Issue published online: 19 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 19 JUL 2010
- Received: 11 June 2010, Accepted: 21 June 2010
- 2010. Remote sensing detection of droughts in Amazonian forest canopies. New Phytologist 187: 733–750. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Seasonal drought stress in the amazon: reconciling models and observations. Journal of Geophysical Research 113,doi: 10.1029/2007JG000644. , , , , , .
- 2007. Modelling the effects of throughfall reduction on soil water content in a Brazilian oxisol under a moist tropical forest. Water Resources Research 43: 14. , , , , , .
- 2008. Drought effects on litterfall, wood production and belowground carbon cycling in an Amazon forest: results of a throughfall reduction experiment. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 363: 1839–1848. , , , , , .
- 1990. Hydrology of moist tropical forests and effects of conversion: a state of knowledge review. Paris, France: UNESCO International Hydrological Programme. .
- 1998. Hydraulic lift: consequences of water efflux from the roots of plants. Oecologia 113: 151–161. , , .
- 1996. Maximum rooting depth of vegetation types at the global scale. Oecologia 108: 583–595. , , , , , .
- 2008. Efeito de seca experimental sobre a transpiração de uma floresta no centro-leste amazônico. PhD dissertation, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil. .
- 2010. Effect of 7 yr of experimental drought on vegetation dynamics and biomass storage of an eastern Amazonian rainforest. New Phytologist 187: 579–591. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Effects of an eperimental drought on soil emissions of carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and nitric oxide in a moist tropical forest. Global Change Biology 10: 718–730. , , .
- 2009. Carbon inputs and water uptake in deep soils of an eastern amazon forest. Forest Science in press. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Effects of an experimental drought and recovery on soil emissions of carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and nitric oxide in a moist tropical forest. Global Change Biology 14: 2582–2590. , , , .
- 2010. Hydraulic redistribution of soil water by roots affects whole-stand evapotranspiration and net ecosystem carbon exchange. New Phytologist 187: 171–183. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Modeling root water uptake in hydrological and climate models. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 82: 2797–2809. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Simulation of field water use and crop yield. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley, 189. , , .
- 2006. Evidence from Amazonian forests is consistent with isohydric control of leaf water potential. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 151–165. , , , , .
- 2007. The response of an Eastern Amazonian rain forest to drought stress: results and modelling analyses from a throughfall exclusion experiment. Global Change Biology 13: 2361–2378. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Evaluating climatic and soil water controls on evapotranspiration at two Amazonian rainforest sites. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 148: 850–861. , , , , .
- 2002. Marked differences between van Genuchten soil water-retention parameters for temperate and tropical soils: a new water-retention pedo-transfer functions developed for tropical soils. Geoderma 108: 155–180. , .
- 1996. Deep soil water uptake by forest and pasture in central Amazonia: predictions of long-term daily rainfall data using a simple water balance model. Chester, UK: Institute of Hydrology. , , , .
- 2007. Seasonal controls on the exchange of carbon and water in an Amazonian rain forest. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: G03008 03001–G03008 03016. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Constraining rooting depths in tropical rainforests using satellite data and ecosystem modeling for accurate simulation of gross primary production seasonality. Global Change Biology 13: 67–77. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Root water uptake and transport: using physiological processes in global predictions. Trends in Plant Science 5: 482–488. , , .
- 1998. Deep soil moisture storage and transpiration in forests and pastures of seasonally-dry Amazonia. Climatic Change 39: 395–413. , , .
- 1986. Hydraulic conductivity and diffusivity: Laboratory methods. In: KluteA, Methods of Soil Analysis, part 1, Physical and Mineralogical Methods. (Sssa Book Series No 5.). Madison, WI, USA: Soil Science Society of America Inc, 687–734. , .
- 2005. Root functioning modifies seasonal climate. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 17576–17581. , , , .
- 2006. Dissolved rainfall inputs and streamwater outputs in an undisturbed watershed on highly weathered soils in the Brazilian cerrado. Hydrological Processes 20: 2615–2639. , , , , , .
- 1996. Soil Physics. Cambridge University Press, NY. , , .
- 2004. Variation in xylem structure and function in stems and roots of trees to 20 m depth. New Phytologist 163: 507–517. , , , .
- 1976. A new model for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated porous media. Water Resources Research 12: 513–522. .
- 1999. Modelling Soil-Biosphere interactions, Cambridge, UK: CABI, 354. .
- 1994. The deep-soil link between water and carbon cycles of Amazonian forests and pastures. Nature 372: 666–669. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Amazon drought and its implications for forest flammability and tree growth: a basin-wide analysis. Global Change Biology 10: 704–717. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The effects of rainfall exclusion on canopy processes and biogeochemistry of an Amazon forest. Journal of Geophysical Research 107, doi:10.1029/2001JD000360. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Mortality of large trees and lianas following experimental drought in an Amazon forest. Ecology 88: 2259–2269. , , , , .
- 1969. Resistance to water flow in soil and plant I. Soil resistance in relaton to amounts of root: theoretical estimates. Journal of Applied Ecology 6: 1–12. .
- 2005. Hydraulic redistribution in three amazonian trees. Oecologia 145: 354–363. , , , .
- 2009. Modeling the sensitivity of the seasonal cycle of GPP to dynamic LAI and soil depths in tropical rainforests. Ecosystems 12: 51–533. , , .
- 1991. Soil diversity in the tropics. Advances in Ecological Research 21: 315–389. , .
- 2004. Seasonality of water and heat fluxes over a tropical forest in eastern Amazonia. Ecological Applications 14: S22–S32. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Ranifall exclusion in an eastern Amazonian forest alters soil water movement and depth of water uptake. American Journal of Botany 92: 443–455. , , , .
- 2007. LBA_ESECAFLOR artificially induced drought in Caxiuanã reserved, eastern Amazonia: soil properties and litter spider fauna. Earth Interaction 11: 11. paper no 8. , , , , , .
- 2002. Hydraulic redistribution in a stand of artemisia tridentata: evaluation of benefits to transpiration assessed with a simulation model. Oecologia 130: 173–184. , , , , .
- 2007. Amazon forest green-up during 2005 drought. Science 318: 612. , , , .
- 2000. Effects of soil texture on belowground carbon and nutreint storage in a lowland Amazonian forest ecosystem. Ecosystems 3: 193–209. , , , , , .
- 2009. Modeling compensated root water and nutrient uptake. Ecological Modelling 220: 505–521. , .
- 2006. The HYDRUS software package for simulating the two- and three-dimensional movement of water, heat, and multiple solutes in variably-saturated media. Prague: PC Progress. , , .
- 2007. Effects of an induced drought on soil carbon dioxide (CO2) efflux and soil CO2 production in an eastern Amazonian rainforest, Brazil. Global Change Biology 13: 2218–2229. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Limitation of plant water use by rhizosphere and xylem conductance: results from a model. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 347–359. , , , .
- 2002. Water deficits and hydraulic limits to leaf water supply. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 251–263. , , , .
- 1999. El nino frequency in a climate model forced by future greenhouse warming. Nature 395: 694–697. , , .
- 1957. Instructions and Tables for Computing Potential Evapotranspiration and the Water Balance. Centerton, NJ, USA: Drexel Institute of Technology, Laboratory of Climatology, 311. , .
- 1989. Vulnerability of xylem to cavitation and embolism. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology. 40: 19–38. , .
- 1980. Electromagnetic determination of soil water content: Measurements in coaxial transmission lines. Water Resources Research, 16: 574–582. , , .
- 1980. A closed-form equation for predicting the hydraulic conductivity of unsaturated soils, Soil Science Society of America Journal, 44:892–898. .
- 2001. The local and global effects of Amazon deforestation. Journal of Geophysical Research 107, doi: 10.1029/2001JD000717. , .
- 1993. A simplified waveform analysis approach for monitoring solute transport using time-domain reflectometry. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 57: 637–642. , , , .