Transcriptome profiles of hybrid poplar (Populus trichocarpa × deltoides) reveal rapid changes in undamaged, systemic sink leaves after simulated feeding by forest tent caterpillar (Malacosoma disstria)
Article first published online: 29 JUL 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 188, Issue 3, pages 787–802, November 2010
How to Cite
Philippe, R. N., Ralph, S. G., Mansfield, S. D. and Bohlmann, J. (2010), Transcriptome profiles of hybrid poplar (Populus trichocarpa × deltoides) reveal rapid changes in undamaged, systemic sink leaves after simulated feeding by forest tent caterpillar (Malacosoma disstria). New Phytologist, 188: 787–802. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03392.x
- Issue published online: 29 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 29 JUL 2010
- Received: 9 April 2010Accepted: 14 June 2010
- 1997. An elicitor of plant volatiles from beet armyworm oral secretion. Science 276: 945–949. , , , , , .
- 2004. Forest tent caterpillars (Malacosoma disstria) induce local and systemic diurnal emissions of terpenoid volatiles in hybrid poplar (Populus trichocarpa × deltoides): cDNA cloning, functional characterization, and patterns of gene expression of (−)-germacrene d synthase, PtdTPS1. Plant Journal 37: 603–616. , , .
- 2004. Carbohydrate translocation determines the phenolic content of Populus foliage: a test of the sink–source model of plant defense. New Phytologist 164: 157–164. , , , , , .
- 2002. Induced sink strength as a prerequisite for induced tannin biosynthesis in developing leaves of Populus. Oecologia 130: 585–593. , .
- 2008. Lymantria dispar herbivory induces rapid changes in carbon transport and partitioning in Populus nigra. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 128: 117–125. , , , .
- 2009. Local and systemic transcriptome responses to herbivory and jasmonic acid in Populus. Tree Genetics and Genomes 5: 459–474. , , , .
- 1994. Metabolism of the raffinose family oligosaccharides in leaves of Ajuga reptans– cold-acclimation, translocation, and sink to source transition – discovery of chain elongation enzyme. Plant Physiology 105: 1335–1345. , , .
- 1998. Jasmonate-induced responses are costly but benefit plants under attack in native populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 8113–8118. .
- 2001. Minimum information about a microarray experiment (MIAME) – toward standards for microarray data. Nature Genetics 29: 365–371. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Sequence–function relationships of prokaryotic and eukaryotic galactosyltransferases. Journal of Biochemistry 123: 1000–1009. , , , , .
- 2004. Problems in gene clustering based on gene expression data. Journal of Multivariate Analysis 90: 44–66. .
- 1998. A common motif of eukaryotic glycosyltransferases is essential for the enzyme activity of large clostridial cytotoxins. Journal of Biological Chemistry 273: 19566–19572. , , , , , .
- 1975. Mass transfer. In: ZimmermannHM, MilburnJA, eds. Encylopedia of plant physiology. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 139–153. .
- 2004. Gene expression profiling of systemically wound-induced defenses in hybrid poplar. Planta 219: 936–947. , , , .
- 2003. Raffinose and stachyose accumulation, galactinol synthase expression, and winter injury of contrasting alfalfa germplasms. Crop Science 43: 562–570. , , , , .
- 1991. Assimilate movement dictates remote sites of wound-induced gene-expression in poplar leaves. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 2393–2396. , , .
- 1985. D-galactose-containing oligosaccharides. In: DeyPM, DixonRA, eds. Biochemistry of storage carbohydrates in green plant. London, UK: Academic Press, 53–129. .
- 1997. Glucose and stress independently regulate source and sink metabolism and defense mechanisms via signal transduction pathways involving protein phosphorylation. Plant Cell 9: 1825–1841. , , , .
- 1993. PHYLIP (Phylogeny Inference Package) Version 3.5c. ( http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/phylip.html ) .
- 2007. Within-plant signalling via volatiles overcomes vascular constraints on systemic signalling and primes responses against herbivores. Ecology Letters 10: 490–498. , , , , , .
- 1997. BioNJ: an improved version of the NJ algorithm based on a simple model of sequence data. Molecular Biology and Evolution 14: 685–695. .
- 2003. A simple, fast, and accurate algorithm to estimate large phylogenies by maximum likelihood. Systematic Biology 52: 696–704. , .
- 1996. Raffinose oligosaccharide concentrations measured in individual cell and tissue types in Cucumis melo leaves: implications for phloem loading. Planta 198: 614–622. , , .
- 1999. Effects of elicitation treatment and genotypic variation on induced resistance in Populus: impacts on gypsy moth (Lepidoptera : Lymantriidae) development and feeding behavior. Oecologia 120: 295–303. , .
- 2004. Jasmonates as signals in the wound response. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 23: 223–237. .
- 1999. CAP3: a DNA sequence assembly program. Genome Research 9: 868–877. , .
- 1993. Control of systemically induced herbivore resistance by plant vascular architecture. Oecologia 93: 452–456. , , , .
- 1992. The rapid enumeration of mutation data matrices from protein sequences. Computer Applications in the Biosciences 8: 275–282. , , .
- 1996. Metabolism of carbohydrates in sinks and sources: galactosyl-sucrose oligosaccharides. In: ZamskiE, SchafferAA, eds. Photoassmilate distribution in plants and crop. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 115–184. , .
- 2004. Isolation of high-quality RNA from gymnosperm and angiosperm trees. BioTechniques 36: 821–824. , , , , , , .
- 1979. Establishment of the vascular system in seedlings of Populus deltoides Bartr. American Journal of Botany 66: 452–462. .
- 1971. The plastochron index as applied to developmental studies of cottonwood. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 1: 1–11. , .
- 2005. Characteristics of electrical signals in poplar and responses in photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 138: 2200–2209. , , , .
- 2006. Wound and insect herbivory responsive genes in poplar. Biotechnology Letters 28: 1493–1501. , , , .
- 2002. Distinct roles for jasmonate synthesis and action in the systemic wound response of tomato. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 6416–6421. , , , .
- 2009. Quantitative iTRAQ proteome and comparative transcriptome analysis of elicitor-induced Norway spruce (Picea abies) cells reveals elements of calcium signaling in the early conifer defense response. Proteomics 9: 350–367. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Galactinol synthase (GS): increased enzyme activity and levels of mRNA due to cold and desiccation. Plant Science 134: 11–20. , , , .
- 2004. Effects of feeding Spodoptera littoralis on lima bean leaves. I. Membrane potentials, intracellular calcium variations, oral secretions, and regurgitate components. Plant Physiology 134: 1752–1762. , , , , .
- 2007. Before gene expression: early events in plant-insect interaction. Trends in Plant Science 12: 310–316. , , .
- 2006. Molecular analysis of poplar defense against herbivory: comparison of wound- and insect elicitor-induced gene expression. New Phytologist 172: 617–635. , .
- 1998. Costs of resistance to natural enemies in field populations of the annual plant Arabidopsis thaliana. American Naturalist 151: 20–28. .
- 1959. Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar. Analytical Chemistry 31: 426–428. .
- 2007. The transcriptional response of hybrid poplar (Populus trichocarpa × deltoides) to infection by Melampsora medusae leaf rust involves induction of flavonoid pathway genes leading to the accumulation of proanthocyanidins. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 816–831. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Populus euphratica displays apoplastic sodium accumulation, osmotic adjustment by decreases in calcium and soluble carbohydrates, and develops leaf succulence under salt stress. Plant Physiology 139: 1762–1772. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Treeview: an application to display phylogenetics trees on personal computers. Computer Applications in the Biosciences 12: 357–358. .
- 2008. Herbivory-induced changes in the small-RNA transcriptome and phytohormone signaling in Nicotiana attenuata. Proceedings of \the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 4559–4564. , , , .
- 2004. Galactinol synthase1. A novel heat shock factor target gene responsible for heat-induced synthesis of raffinose family oligosaccharides in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 136: 3148–3158. , , , , .
- 1989. Systemic accumulation of specific mRNAs in response to wounding in poplar trees. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 86: 7895–7899. , , .
- 2001. Biochemistry and physiology of raffinose family oligosaccharides and galactosyl cyclitols in seeds. Seed Science Research 11: 185–197. , .
- 2007. Poplar defense against insect herbivores. Canadian Journal of Botany-Revue Canadienne De Botanique 85: 1111–1126. , .
- 2009. Poplar defense against insects: genome analysis, full-length cDNA cloning, and transcriptome and protein analysis of the poplar Kunitz-type protease inhibitor family. New Phytologist 184: 865–884. , , , , .
- 2009. Studying Populus defenses against insect herbivores in the post-genomic era. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 28: 335–345. .
- 2008. Analysis of 4,664 high-quality sequence-finished poplar full-length cDNA clones and their utility for the discovery of genes responding to insect feeding. BMC Genomics 9. Article #57. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Genomics of hybrid poplar (Populus trichocarpa × deltoides) interacting with forest tent caterpillars (Malacosoma disstria): normalized and full-length cDNA libraries, expressed sequence tags, and a cDNA microarray for the study of insect-induced defences in poplar. Molecular Ecology 15: 1275–1297. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Assumption-free analysis of quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) data. Neuroscience Letters 339: 62–66. , , , .
- 2002. Sugar sensing and signalling in plants. Plant Cell 14: S185–S205. , , .
- 2000. Allocation of raffinose family oligosaccharides to transport and storage pools in Ajuga reptans: the roles of two distinct galactinol synthases. Plant Journal 21: 249–258. , .
- 2002. Direct and ecological costs of resistance to herbivory. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17: 278–285. , , , .
- 2002. Important roles of drought- and cold-inducible genes for galactinol synthase in stress tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 29: 417–426. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. The genome of black cottonwood, Populus trichocarpa (Torr. & Gray). Science 313: 1596–1604. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Ecological and evolutionary implications of hybridization: Populus–herbivore interactions. In: StettlerRF, BradshawHD, HeilmanPE, HinckleyTM, eds. Biology of Populus and its implications for management and conservation. Ottawa, ON, Canada: NRC Research Press, 247–275. , , , , .
- 1998. Activity of the yeast MNN1 alpha-1,3-mannosyltransferase requires a motif conserved in many other families of glycosyltransferases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 7945–7950. , .