Ephemeral root modules in Fraxinus mandshurica
Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 188, Issue 4, pages 1065–1074, December 2010
How to Cite
Xia, M., Guo, D. and Pregitzer, K. S. (2010), Ephemeral root modules in Fraxinus mandshurica. New Phytologist, 188: 1065–1074. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03423.x
- Issue online: 8 NOV 2010
- Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2010
- Received: 6 May 2010, Accepted: 11 July 2010
- 2004. Diversity and classification of mycorrhizal associations. Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society 79: 473–495. .
- 2002. Root respiration in North American forests: effects of nitrogen concentration and temperature across biomes. Oecologia 131: 559–568. , , , , .
- 1999. Anatomical characteristics of roots of citrus rootstocks that vary in specific root length. New Phytologist 141: 309–321. , .
- 2009. Tree species fine-root demography parallels habitat specialization across a sandhill soil resource gradient. Ecology 90: 1773–1787. , , .
- 2010. Slow decomposition of lower order roots: a key mechanism of root carbon and nutrient retention in the soil. Oecologia 163: 509–515. , .
- 2010. Measuring and modeling the spectrum of fine-root turnover times in three forests using isotopes, minirhizotrons, and the Radix model. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. doi: 10.1029/2009GB003649. , , , , , .
- 2001. The age of fine-root carbon in three forests of the eastern United States measured by radiocarbon. Oecologia 129: 420–429. , , , , , .
- 1999. Soil reference with Chinese soil taxonomy. Soils 31: 57–63. (in Chinese). , , , , .
- 1981. Biomass distribution and above- and below-ground production in young and mature Abies amabilis zone ecosystems of the Washington Cascades. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 11: 155–167. , , , .
- 2008a. Heterogeneity by root branch order: exploring the discrepancy in root longevity and turnover estimates between minirhizotron and C isotope methods. New Phytologist 177: 443–456. , , , , , , .
- 2008b. Endogenous and exogenous controls of root lifespan, mortality and nitrogen flux in a longleaf pine forest: root branch order predominates. Journal of Ecology 96: 737–745. , , , , .
- 2008c. Anatomical traits associated with absorption and mycorrhizal colonization are linked to root branch order in twenty-three Chinese temperate tree species. New Phytologist 180: 673–683. , , , , , .
- 1977. Population biology of plants. London, UK: Academic Press, 892. .
- 2006. Towards a more plant physiological perspective on soil ecology. Trends of Ecology and Evolution 21: 548–554. , .
- 1997. A global budget for fine root biomass, surface area, and nutrient contents. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 7362–7366. , , .
- 2006. Fine-root turnover patterns and their relationship to root diameter and soil depth in a 14C-labeled hardwood forest. New Phytologist 172: 523–535. , , , , .
- 1958. Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. Journal of the American Statistical Association 53: 457–481. , .
- 2010. Nitrogen and phosphorus allocation in leaves, twigs, and fine roots across 49 temperate, subtropical and tropical tree species: a hierarchical pattern. Functional Ecology 24: 224–232. , , , .
- 1975. Rhizography of non-woody roots of trees in the forest floor. In: TorreyJG, ClarksonDT, eds. The development and function of roots. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 179–196. .
- 2001. Longevity of mycorrhizal roots depends on branching order and nutrient variability. New Phytologist 150: 195–202. , , .
- 2003. Impacts of fine root turnover on forest NPP and soil C sequestration potential. Science 302: 1385–1387. , , , , .
- 1969. Distribution of fine roots in three Pinus radiata plantations near Canberra, Australia. Ecology 50: 658–662. , .
- 2000. Anatomy and histology of roots and root–soil boundary. In: SmitAL, BengoughAG, EngelsC, eds. Root methods: a handbook. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 33–74. , , , , .
- 2002. Fine roots of trees – a new perspective. New Phytologist 154: 267–270. .
- 2002. Fine root architecture of nine North American trees. Ecological Monographs 72: 293–309. , , , , , .
- 1998. Variation in sugar maple root respiration with root diameter and soil depth. Tree Physiology 18: 665–670. , , , , .
- 2009. Fine-root mortality rates in a temperate forest: estimates using radiocarbon data and numerical modeling. New Phytologist 184: 387–398. , , , , , .
- 1987. Estimating fine-root production and turnover from biomass and decomposition data: a compartment–flow model. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 17: 900–908. , .
- 2008. Irreconcilable differences: fine-root life spans and soil carbon persistence. Science 319: 456–458. , , , , .
- 2006. Dynamics of fine root carbon in Amazonian tropical ecosystems and the contribution of roots to soil respiration. Global Change Biology 12: 217–229. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The secret lives of roots. Science 302: 1344–1345. , .
- 2008. Root anatomy, morphology, and longevity among root orders in Vaccinium corymbosum (Ericaceae). American Journal of Botany 95: 1506–1514. , , , .
- 2005. An overview of methods for the detection and observation of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in roots. Plant Physiology 125: 393–404. , , .
- 1986. Production, turnover, and nutrient dynamics of above- and belowground detritus of world forests. Advances in Ecological Research 15: 303–378. , , .
- 2006. Fine root architecture, morphology, and biomass of different branch orders of two Chinese temperate tree species. Plant and Soil 288: 155–171. , , , , .
- 2001. Marked differences in survivorship among apple roots of different diameters. Ecology 82: 882–893. , .
- 2003. Beyond the roots of young seedlings: the influence of age and order on fine root physiology. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 21: 324–334. , .
- 1964. Xylem in roots of Pinus resinosa Ait. in relation to heterorhizy and growth activity. In: ZimmermanM, ed. Formation of wood in forest trees. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 459–478. .
- 2006. Comparisons of structure and life span in roots and leaves among temperate trees. Ecological Monographs 76: 381–397. , , , .
- 2006. Estimate of fine root lifespan for Manchurian Ash and Davurian Larch, PhD thesis. Northeast Forestry University, Harbin, China (in Chinese). .
- 2001. Effects of mixed planting on root growth and distribution of Fraxinus mandshurica and Larix gmelinii. Sci Silvae Sinicae 37: 16–23 (in Chinese). , , , .
- 1994. Long-term research on China’s forest ecosystems. Harbin, China: Northeast Forestry University Press, 213–221 (in Chinese). .