These authors contributed equally to this work.
The relationship between wood density and mortality in a global tropical forest data set
Article first published online: 6 SEP 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 188, Issue 4, pages 1124–1136, December 2010
How to Cite
Kraft, N. J. B., Metz, M. R., Condit, R. S. and Chave, J. (2010), The relationship between wood density and mortality in a global tropical forest data set. New Phytologist, 188: 1124–1136. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03444.x
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 6 SEP 2010
- Received: 9 June 2010, Accepted: 19 July 2010
- 2004. Functional strategies of chaparral shrubs in relation to seasonal water deficit and disturbance. Ecological Monographs 74: 25–44. .
- 2003. Community assembly, niche conservatism, and adaptive evolution in changing environments. International Journal of Plant Sciences 164: S165–S184. .
- 2007. Physical defence traits enhance seedling survival of neotropical tree species. Functional Ecology 21: 1044–1054. , .
- 1984. Pathogen mortality of tropical tree seedlings – experimental studies of the effects of dispersal distance, seedling density, and light conditions. Oecologia 61: 211–217. , .
- 2009. Functional trait variation and sampling strategies in species-rich plant communities. Functional Ecology 24: 208–216. , , , , , .
- 2003. Testing for phylogenetic signal in comparative data: behavioral traits are more labile. Evolution 57: 717–745. , , .
- 2004. Functional convergence in hydraulic architecture and water relations of tropical savanna trees: from leaf to whole plant. Tree Physiology 24: 891–899. , , , , , .
- 2008. Growth and wood density predict tree mortality in amazon forests. Journal of Ecology 96: 281–292. , , , , , .
- 2009. Towards a worldwide wood economics spectrum. Ecology Letters 12: 351–366. , , , , , .
- 2006. Regional and phylogenetic variation of wood density across 2456 neotropical tree species. Ecological Applications 16: 2356–2367. , , , , , .
- 2001. Getting to the canopy: tree height growth in a neotropical rain forest. Ecology 82: 1460–1472. , .
- 2005. Why environmental scientists are becoming Bayesians. Ecology Letters 8: 2–14. .
- 1998. Tropical forest census plots. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2006. The importance of demographic niches to tree diversity. Science 313: 98–101. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Mortality rates of 205 neotropical tree and shrub species and the impact of a severe drought. Ecological Monographs 65: 419–439. , , .
- 2003. A handbook of protocols for standardised and easy measurement of plant functional traits worldwide. Australian Journal of Botany 51: 335–380. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A phylogenetic perspective on the distribution of plant diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 11549–11555. .
- 1999. Allometric scaling of production and life-history variation in vascular plants. Nature (London) 401: 907–911. , , , .
- 2005. Alternative height strategies among 45 dicot rain forest species from tropical Queensland, Australia. Journal of Ecology 93: 521–535. , .
- 1985. Phylogenies and the comparative method. American Naturalist 125: 1–15. .
- 1992. Procedures for the analysis of comparative data using phylogenetically independent contrasts. Systematic Biology 41: 18–32. , , .
- 2007. Data analysis using regression and multilevel/hierarchical models. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 2006. Bayesian measures of explained variance and pooling in multilevel (hierarchical) models. Technometrics 48: 241–251. , .
- 2001. Trends in wood density and structure are linked to prevention of xylem implosion by negative pressure. Oecologia 126: 457–461. , , , , .
- 2005. Do xylem fibers affect vessel cavitation resistance? Plant Physiology 139: 546–556. , , , , .
- 2005. Tree growth is related to light interception and wood density in two mixed dipterocarp forests of Malaysia. Functional Ecology 19: 445–453. , , , .
- 2006. The role of wood density and stem support costs in the growth and mortality of tropical trees. Journal of Ecology 94: 670–680. , , , .
- 2008. Functional traits and niche-based tree community assembly in an amazonian forest. Science 322: 580–582. , , .
- 2004. Concerted changes in tropical forest structure and dynamics: evidence from 50 South American long-term plots. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B Biological Sciences 359: 421–436. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Seed size and phylogeny in six temperate floras – constraints, niche conservatism, and adaptation. American Naturalist 146: 349–364. , , .
- LososE, LeighEG, eds. 2004. Tropical forest diversity and dynamism. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press.
- 2006. Rebuilding community ecology from functional traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 178–185. , , , .
- 1932. The interrelation between substances in plants: essential oils and resins, cyanogen and oxalate. American Journal of Botany 19: 255–272. .
- 2008. Temporal and spatial variability in seedling dynamics: a cross-site comparison in four lowland tropical forests. Journal of Tropical Ecology 24: 9–18. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Interspecific and inter-site variation in wood specific gravity of tropical trees. Biotropica 36: 20–32. .
- 2005. Demographic and life-history correlates for amazonian trees. Journal of Vegetation Science 16: 625–634. , , , , , .
- 1992. Plant biomechanics. Chicago, IL ,USA: University of Chicago Press. .
- 2009. Convergence of tree water use within an arid-zone woodland. Oecologia online first publication, DOI 10.1007/s00442-009-1332-y. , , , , , ,
- 2008. The relationships of wood-, gas- and water fractions of tree stems to performance and life history variation in tropical trees. Annals of Botany 102: 367–375. .
- 2008. Are functional traits good predictors of demographic rates? Evidence from five neotropical forests Ecology 89: 1908–1920. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Wood density and vessel traits as distinct correlates of ecological strategy in 51 California coast range angiosperms. New Phytologist 170: 807–818. , , .
- 2001. The niche of higher plants: evidence for phylogenetic conservatism. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 268: 2383–2389. , , , .
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 1997. The potential of botanical essential oils for insect pest control. Integrated Pest Management Reviews 2: 25–34. .
- 1996. Mortality and recruitment rate evaluations in heterogeneous tropical forests. Journal of Ecology 84: 91–100. , .
- 2004. Flowering plants of the neotropics. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. , , , , .
- 2001. Character convergence, diversity, and disturbance in tropical rain forest in Guyana. Ecology 82: 3197–3212. , .
- 2004. Mudumalai forest dynamics plot, India. In: LososE, LeighEG, eds. Tropical forest diversity and dynamism. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press, 551–563. , , , , .
- 1998. Dynamics of a tropical decidious forest: population changes (1988 through 1993) in a 50-ha plot at Mudmalai, Southern India. In: DallmeierF, ComiskeyJA, eds. Forest biodiversity research, monitoring and modeling: conceptual background and old world case studies. Pearl River, NY, USA: Parthenon Publishing Group, 495–506. , , , .
- 2007. Ecological and evolutionary determinants of a key plant functional trait: wood density and its community-wide variation across latitude and elevation. American Journal of Botany 94: 451–459. , .
- 2007. Let the concept of trait be functional! Oikos 116: 882–892. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Phylocom: software for the analysis of phylogenetic community structure and trait evolution. Bioinformatics 24: 2098–2100. , , .
- 2005. Phylomatic: tree assembly for applied phylogenetics. Molecular Ecology Notes 5: 181–183. , .
- 1998. A leaf-height-seed (lhs) plant ecology strategy scheme. Plant and Soil 199: 213–227. .
- 2002. Plant ecological strategies: some leading dimensions of variation between species. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 125–159. , , , , .
- 2006. Land-plant ecology on the basis of functional traits. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 261–268. , .
- 2010. Measuring wood specific gravity... Correctly. American Journal of Botany 97: 519–524. , .
- 2007. Relationships among ecologically important dimensions of plant trait variation in seven neotropical forests. Annals of Botany 99: 1003–1015. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- Functional traits and the growth-mortality tradeoff in tropical trees. Ecology. doi: 10.1890/09-2335.1. , , , , , , , , , et al. In press.
- 2009. Global wood density database. Dryad. URL http://hdl.handle.net/10255/dryad.235. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Angiosperm wood structure: global patterns in vessel anatomy and their relation to wood density and potential conductivity. American Journal of Botany 97: 207–215. , , , , , , .