Early response of plant cell to carbon deprivation: in vivo31P-NMR spectroscopy shows a quasi-instantaneous disruption on cytosolic sugars, phosphorylated intermediates of energy metabolism, phosphate partitioning, and intracellular pHs
Article first published online: 3 SEP 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 189, Issue 1, pages 135–147, January 2011
How to Cite
Gout, E., Bligny, R., Douce, R., Boisson, A.-M. and Rivasseau, C. (2011), Early response of plant cell to carbon deprivation: in vivo31P-NMR spectroscopy shows a quasi-instantaneous disruption on cytosolic sugars, phosphorylated intermediates of energy metabolism, phosphate partitioning, and intracellular pHs. New Phytologist, 189: 135–147. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03449.x
- Issue published online: 30 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 3 SEP 2010
- Received: 16 June 2010, Accepted: 22 July 2010
- 2008. Cloning, localization and expression analysis of vacuolar sugar transporters in the CAM plant Ananas comosus (pineapple). Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1895–1908. , , , , , .
- 1996a. NMR studies of metabolism in cell suspensions and tissue cultures. In: Shachar-Hill Y, Pfeffer P, eds. Nuclear magnetic resonance in plant biology. Rockville, MD, USA: American Society of Plant Physiologists, 109–144. , , .
- 2004. Methyl-β-D-glucopyranoside in higher plants: accumulation and intracellular localization in Geum montanum L. leaves and in model systems studied by 13C nuclear magnetic resonance. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2179–2189. , , , , , .
- 1996b. Ultrastructural and biochemical characterization of autophagy in higher plant cells subjected to carbon deprivation: control by the supply of mitochondria with respiratory substrates. The Journal of Cell Biology 133: 1251–1263. , , , , , , , .
- 1976. Les mitochondries de cellules végétales isolées (Acer pseudoplatanus L.) Physiologie Végétale 14: 499–515. , .
- 1987. Techniques of cell suspension culture. Methods in Enzymology 148: 3–16. , .
- 1985. Membrane transport in isolated vesicles from sugar beet taproot. II. Evidence for a sucrose/H+-antiport. Plant Physiology 18: 865–870. , , .
- 1992. Asparagine metabolism and nitrogen distribution during protein degradation in sugar-starved root tips. Planta 188: 384–395. , , , .
- 1990. Electrogenicity, pH-dependence, and stoichiometry of the proton-sucrose symport. Plant Physiology 93: 1590–1596. .
- 2007. The monosaccharide transporter(-like) gene family in Arabidopsis. FEBS Letters 581: 2318–2324. .
- 2004. AtRGS1 function in Arabidopsis thaliana. Methods in Enzymology 389: 338–350. , .
- 2003. A seven-transmembrane RGS protein that modulates plant cell proliferation. Science 301: 1728–1731. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Sucrose is a signal molecule in assimilate partitioning. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 4784–4788. , .
- 2004. Transcriptome profiling of the response of Arabidopsis suspension culture cells to Suc starvation. Plant Physiology 135: 2330–2347. , , .
- 2003. Physiological, biochemical and molecular analysis of sugar-starvation responses in tomato roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1143–1151. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Sugar-starvation-induced changes of carbon metabolism in excised maize root tips. Plant Physiology 115: 1505–1513. , , .
- 1994. Autophagy and related mechanisms of lysosome-mediated protein degradation. Trends in Cell Biology 4: 139–143. .
- 2006. Identification of a vacuolar sucrose transporter in barley and Arabidopsis mesophyll cells by a tonoplast proteomic approach. Plant Physiology 141: 196–207. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Malate Jack of all trades or master of few? Phytochemistry 70: 828–832. , .
- 1990. Transient accumulation of asparagine in sycamore cells after a long period of sucrose starvation. Plant Physiology 94: 717–722. , , , .
- 1995. Characteristics of sucrose transport and sucrose-induced H+ transport on the tonoplast of red beet (Beta vulgaris L.) storage tissue. Plant Physiology 107: 459–467. , .
- 1992. Regulation of intracellular pH values in higher plant cells. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 267: 13903–13909. , , .
- 1993. 13C nuclear magnetic resonance studies of malate and citrate synthesis and compartmentation in higher plant cells. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 268: 3986–3992. , , , .
- 2001. Origin of the cytoplasmic pH changes during anaerobic stress in higher plant cells. Carbon-13 and phosphorus-31 nuclear magnetic resonance studies. Plant Physiology 125: 912–925. , , , , .
- 2008. Sucrose transport in the phloem: integrating root responses to phosphorus starvation. The Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 93–109. , .
- 1997. Hexokinase as a sugar sensor in higher plants. The Plant Cell 9: 5–19. , , , .
- 1986. Biochemical changes during sucrose deprivation in higher plant cells. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 361: 3193–3199. , , .
- 2007. Phosphate starvation responses are mediated by sugar signalling in Arabidopsis. Planta 225: 907–918. , , , , , .
- 1999. Vacuolar import of proteins and organelles from the cytoplasm. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 15: 1–32. , .
- 2004. Sucrose metabolism: regulatory mechanisms and pivotal roles in sugar sensing and plant development. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 235–246. .
- 2006. Glycogen autophagy in glucose homeostasis. Pathology – Research and Practice 202: 631–638. , , .
- 1964. Cell suspension cultures of higher plants: isolation and growth energetics. Experimental Cell Research 33: 195–206. .
- 2004. Identification of genes that are up-regulated in concert during sugar depletion in Arabidopsis. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 337–345. , , .
- 2000. Sucrose transporters in plants: update on function and structure. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1465: 246–262. .
- 2009. MUC1 oncoprotein promotes autophagy in a survival response to glucose deprivation. International Journal of Oncology 34: 1691–1699. , , .
- 2007. Influence of glucose starvation on the pathway of death in insect cell line SI: apoptosis follows autophagy. Cytotechnology 54: 97–105. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Observations on the cytoplasmic and vacuolar orthophosphate pools in leaf tissues using in vivo31P-NMR spectroscopy. FEBS Letters 242: 279–284. , , .
- 2000. Vacuolar H+-pyrophosphatase. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1465: 37–51. .
- 2007. Vacuolar transporters and their essential role in plant metabolism. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 83–102. , , .
- 2003. Role of the Arabidopsis glucose sensor HXK1 in nutrient, light, and hormonal signaling. Science 300: 332–336. , , , , , , , , .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassay with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiologia Plantarum 15: 473–497. , .
- 2005. Calcium signaling: past, present and future. Cell Calcium 38: 161–169. , , .
- 2009. Phosphate (Pi) starvation effect on the cytosolic Pi concentration and Pi exchanges across the tonoplast in plant cells: an in vivo31P-nuclear magnetic resonance study using methylphosphonate as Pi analog. Plant Physiology 151: 1646–1657. , , , , , .
- 1985. Effect of sucrose deprivation on sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) cell carbohydrate and Pi status. Biochemical Journal 226: 679–784. , , , .
- 1997. Cooperation and competition between adenylate kinase, nucleoside diphosphokinase, electron transport, and ATP synthase in plant mitochondria studied by 31P-nuclear magnetic resonance. Plant Physiology 113: 191–199. , , , , .
- 1981. Monitoring of cellular metabolism by NMR. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 639: 53–76. , .
- 1980. Estimation of cytoplasmic and vacuolar pH in higher plant cells by 31P NMR. Nature 283: 870–872. , , , .
- 1987. Biochemical changes during sucrose deprivation in higher plant cells. Phosphorus-31 nuclear magnetic resonance studies. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 262: 5000–5007. , , , .
- 2006. Sugar sensing and signaling in plants: conserved and novel mechanisms. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 675–709. , , .
- 2002. Calcium at the crossroads of signaling. The Plant Cell 14: 401–417. , , , .
- 1999. Energization of plant cell membranes by H+-pumping ATPases: regulation and biosynthesis. The Plant Cell 11: 677–689. , , .
- 1992. Autophagy in yeast demonstrated with proteinase-deficient mutants and conditions for its induction. Journal of Cell Biology 119: 301–311. , , , , .
- 2006. Molecular identification and physiological characterization of a novel monosaccharide transporter from Arabidopsis involved in vacuolar sugar transport. The Plant Cell 18: 3476–3490. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cellular and genetic responses of plants to sugar starvation. Plant Physiology 121: 687–693. .
- 2010. Analysis of Arabidopsis with highly reduced levels of malate and fumarate sheds light on the role of these organic acids as storage carbon molecules. Plant Physiology 152: 1251–1262. , , , , , , , , , et al.