Myo-inositol abolishes salicylic acid-dependent cell death and pathogen defence responses triggered by peroxisomal hydrogen peroxide
Article first published online: 27 AUG 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 188, Issue 3, pages 711–718, November 2010
How to Cite
Chaouch, S. and Noctor, G. (2010), Myo-inositol abolishes salicylic acid-dependent cell death and pathogen defence responses triggered by peroxisomal hydrogen peroxide. New Phytologist, 188: 711–718. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03453.x
- Issue published online: 19 OCT 2010
- Article first published online: 27 AUG 2010
- Received: 22 June 2010Accepted: 25 July 2010
- 2008. Nitric oxide modulates ozone-induced cell death, hormone biosynthesis and gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 58: 1–12. , , , .
- 2000. Salicylic acid in the machinery of hypersensitive cell death and disease resistance. Plant Molecular Biology 44: 429–442. .
- 1995. Hydrogen peroxide does not function downstream of salicylic acid in the induction of PR protein expression. Plant Journal 8: 235–245. , , , , .
- 2002. The apoplastic oxidative burst in response to biotic stress in plants: a three-component system. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1367–1376. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. An Arabidopsis inositol 5-phosphatase gain-of-function alters abscisic acid signaling. Plant Physiology 132: 1011–1019. , , .
- 1998. Defense activation and enhanced pathogen tolerance induced by H2O2 in transgenic plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 5818–5823. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Peroxisomal hydrogen peroxide is coupled to biotic defence responses by isochorismate synthase 1 in a daylength-related manner. Plant Physiology 153: 1692–1705. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Cytosolic ascorbate peroxidase 1 is a central component of the reactive oxygen gene network of Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 17: 268–281. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Arabidopsis mutants simulating disease resistance response. Cell 77: 565–577. , , , , , .
- 2010. The Arabidopsis thaliana myo-inositol 1-phosphate synthase1 gene is required for myo-inositol synthesis and suppression of cell death. The Plant Cell 22: 888–903. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Many ways to exit? Cell death categories in plants. Trends in Plant Science 10: 117–122. , .
- 2009. Myoinositol oxygenase controls the level of myoinositol in Arabidopsis, but does not increase ascorbic acid. Plant Physiology 149: 1042–1049. , .
- 2003. Redox sensing and signalling associated with reactive oxygen in chloroplasts, peroxisomes and mitochondria. Physiologia Plantarum 119: 355–364. , .
- 2007. Camalexin. Phytochemistry 68: 401–406. .
- 2004. Programmed cell death remodels lace plant leaf shape during development. The Plant Cell 16: 60–73. , , .
- 1997. The oxidative burst in plant disease resistance. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 251–275. , .
- 2007. Phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate is important for stomatal opening. Plant Journal 52: 803–816. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. myo-Inositol metabolism in plants. Plant Science 150: 1–19. , .
- 2003. Lesion mimic mutants: keys for deciphering cell death and defence pathways in plants? Trends in Plant Science 8: 263–271. , , , .
- 2002. Evidence of mitochondrial involvement in the transduction of signals required for the induction of genes associated with pathogen attack and senescence. Plant Journal 29: 269–279. , , .
- 2009. Crosstalks between myo-inositol metabolism, programmed cell death and basal immunity in Arabidopsis. PLoS ONE 4: e7364. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Arabidopsis GLUTATHIONE REDUCTASE 1 plays a crucial role in leaf responses to intracellular H2O2 and in ensuring appropriate gene expression through both salicylic acid and jasmonic acid signaling pathways. Plant Physiology 153: 1144–1160. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A role for inositol hexakisphosphate in the maintenance of basal resistance to plant pathogens. Plant Journal 56: 638–652. , , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis cytochrome P450 monooxygenase 71A13 catalyzes the conversion of indole-3-acetaldoxime in camalexin synthesis. The Plant Cell 19: 2039–2052. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Galactinol and raffinose constitute a novel function to protect plants from oxidative damage. Plant Physiology 147: 1251–1263. , , .
- 2007. A comparative study of amino acid analysis in leaf extracts by gas chromatography-time of flight-mass spectrometry and high performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. Metabolomics 3: 161–174. , , , , , .
- 2003. Reactive oxygen species and hormonal control of cell death. Trends in Plant Science 8: 335–342. , , .
- 2008. Why are literature data for H2O2 contents so variable? A discussion of potential difficulties in the quantitative assay of leaf extracts. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 135–146. , , , .
- 2007. Conditional oxidative stress responses in the Arabidopsis photorespiratory mutant cat2 demonstrate that redox state is a key modulator of daylength-dependent gene expression, and define photoperiod as a crucial factor in the regulation of H2O2-induced cell death. Plant Journal 52: 640–657. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A plate reader method for the measurement of NAD, NADP, glutathione, and ascorbate in tissue extracts: application to redox profiling during Arabidopsis rosette development. Analytical Biochemistry 363: 58–69. , .
- 1997. Salicylic acid potentiates an agonist-dependent gain control that amplifies pathogen signals in the activation of defence mechanisms. The Plant Cell 9: 261–270. , , , , .
- 2000. Polarity and signalling in plant embryogenesis. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 971–983. , .
- 1997. Development of necrosis and activation of disease resistance in transgenic tobacco plants with severely reduced catalase levels. Plant Journal 11: 993–1005. , , , , .
- 2001. Hyperosmotic stress induces a rapid and transient increase in inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate independent of abscisic acid in Arabidopsis cell culture. Plant and Cell Physiology 42: 214–222. , , , , .
- 2009. VTC4 is a bifunctional enzyme that affects myoinositol and ascorbate biosynthesis in plants. Plant Physiology 150: 951–961. , , , , .
- 2006. Reactive oxygen species signaling in response to pathogens. Plant Physiology 141: 373–378. , , .
- 2004. Production of reactive oxygen species, alteration of cytosolic ascorbate peroxidase, and impairment of mitochondrial metabolism are early events in heat shock-induced programmed cell death in tobacco Bright-Yellow 2 cells. Plant Physiology 134: 1100–1112. , , , , , .
- 2005. Genome-wide analysis of hydrogen peroxide-regulated gene expression in Arabidopsis reveals a high light-induced transcriptional cluster involved in anthocyanin biosynthesis. Plant Physiology 139: 806–821. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Salicylic acid, a multifaceted hormone to combat disease. Annual Review of Phytopathology 47: 177–206. , , .
- 2001. Isochorismate synthase is required to synthesize salicylic acid for plant defence. Nature 414: 562–565. , , , .
- 2000. Programmed cell death during endosperm development. Plant Molecular Biology 44: 283–301. , .