Systemic virus-induced gene silencing allows functional characterization of maize genes during biotrophic interaction with Ustilago maydis
Article first published online: 11 OCT 2010
© (2010) Max Planck Society. Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 189, Issue 2, pages 471–483, January 2011
How to Cite
van der Linde, K., Kastner, C., Kumlehn, J., Kahmann, R. and Doehlemann, G. (2011), Systemic virus-induced gene silencing allows functional characterization of maize genes during biotrophic interaction with Ustilago maydis. New Phytologist, 189: 471–483. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03474.x
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 11 OCT 2010
- Received: 14 May 2010, Accepted: 13 August 2010
- 2005. Dissecting defense-related and developmental transcriptional responses of maize during Ustilago maydis infection and subsequent tumor formation. Plant Physiology 138: 1774–1784. .
- 2009. Ustilago maydis as a pathogen. Annual Review of Phytopathology 47: 423–445. , , , , , .
- 2007. Stability of Barley stripe mosaic virus-induced gene silencing in barley. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 1323–1331. , , , .
- 2004. Interaction-dependent gene expression in Mla-specified response to barley powdery mildew. The Plant Cell 16: 2514–2528. , , .
- 2010. Identification of Nicotiana benthamiana genes involved in pathogen-associated molecular pattern-triggered immunity. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 23: 715–726. , , , , .
- 2004. Virus-induced gene silencing as a tool for functional genomics in a legume species. Plant Journal 40: 622–631. , , , , , .
- 2001. Presence of Brome mosaic virus in barley guttation fluid and its association with localized cell death response. Phytopathology 91: 440–448. , , .
- 2007. Analysis of gene function in rice through virus-induced gene silencing. Methods in Molecular Biology 354: 145–160. , , .
- 1999. Infection of barley by brome mosaic virus is restricted predominantly to cells in and associated with veins through a temperature-dependent mechanism. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 12: 615–623. , , .
- 2006. Characterization of a Brome mosaic virus strain and its use as a vector for gene silencing in monocotyledonous hosts. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 19: 1229–1239. , , , , .
- 2009. Pep1, a secreted effector protein of Ustilago maydis is required for successful invasion of plant cells. PLoS Pathogens 5: e1000290. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Reprogramming a maize plant: transcriptional and metabolic changes induced by the fungal biotroph Ustilago maydis. Plant Journal 56: 181–195. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Accommodation of powdery mildew fungi in intact plant cells. Journal of Plant Physiology 165: 5–18. , .
- 2004. The barley apoptosis suppressor homologue Bax Inhibitor-1 compromises nonhost penetration resistance of barley to the inappropriate pathogen Blumeria graminis f.sp. tritici. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 17: 484–490. , , , .
- 2006. Endocytosis is essential for pathogenic development in the corn smut fungus Ustilago maydis. The Plant Cell 18: 2066–2081. , , , .
- 2005. Contrasting mechanisms of defense against biotrophic and necrotrophic pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 43: 205–227. .
- 2005. Virus-induced gene silencing-based functional characterization of genes associated with powdery mildew resistance in barley. Plant Physiology 138: 2155–2164. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Agrobacterium-mediated gene transfer to cereal crop plants: current protocols for barley, wheat, triticale, and maize. International Journal of Plant Genomics Epub 2009: 835608. , , , , .
- 2009. Transgenic suppression of cell death limits penetration success of the soybean rust fungus Phakopsora pachyrhizi into epidermal cells of barley. Journal of Phytopathology 99: 220–226. , , , , , .
- 2002. Barley stripe mosaic virus-induced gene silencing in a monocot plant. Plant Journal 30: 315–327. , , , .
- 2006. Insights form the genome of the biotrophic fungal plant pathogen Ustilago maydis. Nature 444: 97–101. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Analysis of defensive responses activated by volatile allo-ocimene treatment in Arabidopsis thaliana. Phytochemistry 67: 1520–1529. , , , .
- 1988. Stable genetic transformation of intact Nicotiana cells by the particle bombardment process. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 85: 8502–8505. , , , , , .
- 2009. Molecular and biochemical evolution of maize terpene synthase 10, an enzyme of indirect defense. Phytochemistry 70: 1139–1145. , , .
- 2008. Protonation of a neutral (S)-beta-bisabolene intermediate is involved in (S)-beta-macrocarpene formation by the maize sesquiterpene synthases TPS6 and TPS11. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 20779–20788. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Cytoplasmic inhibition of carotenoid biosynthesis with virus derived RNA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 1679–1683. , , , , , .
- 1991. A DNA transformation-competent Arabidopsis genomic library in agrobacterium. Nature Biotechnology 9: 963–967. , , .
- 2002. Virus-induced gene silencing in tomato. Plant Journal 31: 777–786. , , .
- 2003. High throughput virus-induced gene silencing implicates heat shock protein 90 in plant disease resistance. EMBO 22: 5690–5699. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The Ustilaginales as plant pests and model systems. Fungal Genetics and Biology 35: 1–20. , , .
- 2009. Advancing cell biology and functional genomics in maize using fluorescent protein-tagged lines. Plant Physiology 149: 601–605. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Arabidopsis and the plant immune system. Plant Journal 61: 1053–1066. , .
- 2002. Relative expression software tool (REST©) for group-wise comparison and statistical analysis of relative expression results in real-time PCR. Nucleic Acids Research 30: 1–10. , , .
- 2009. Virus-induced gene silencing: a versatile tool for discovery of gene functions in plants. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 47: 967–976. , .
- 2001. Characterization of a rice (Oryza sativa L.) Bowman-Birk proteinase inhibitor: tightly light regulated induction in response to cut, jasmonic acid, ethylene and protein phosphatase 2A inhibitors. Gene 263: 189–198. , , .
- 2001. Tobacco rattle virus as a vector for analysis of gene function by silencing. Plant Journal 25: 237–245. , , .
- 1993. WIP1, a wound-inducible gene from maize with homology to Bowman-Birk proteinase inhibitors. Plant Molecular Biology 22: 783–792. , .
- 1989. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 2nd edn. Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. ISBN 0-87969-309-6. , , .
- 2005. Development of a virusinduced gene-silencing system for hexaploid wheat and its use in functional analysis of the Lr21-mediated leaf rust resistance pathway. Plant Physiology 138: 2165–2173. , , , .
- 2009. Resources for virus-induced gene silencing (VIGS) in the grasses. Plant Physiology 149: 152–157. , .
- 1993.Common names of plant diseases. No. 24. Corn (Zea mays L.). The American Phytopathological Society, APSnet. , , , , .
- 2008. A guardian of grasses: specific origin and conservation of a unique disease-resistance gene in the grass lineage. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 1762–1767. , , , , , .
- 2010. Maize tumors caused by Ustilago maydis require organ-specific genes in host and pathogen. Science 328: 89–92. , , , .
- 2006. Antimicrobial activity of essential oils and their components against the three major pathogens of the cultivated button mushroom, Agaricus bisporus. European Journal of Plant Pathology 116: 211–224. , .
- 2009. Maize (Zea mays): a model organism for basic and applied research in plant biology. Cold Spring Harbor Protocols. doi: 10.1101/pdb.emo132. , .
- 2006. Phloem flow strongly influences the systemic spread of silencing in GFP Nicotiana benthamiana plants. Plant Journal 47: 383–394. , , .
- 2002. Geminivirus-based vectors for gene silencing in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 30: 107–117. , , , .
- 2003. A class V myosin required for mating, hyphal growth and pathogenicity in the dimorphic plant pathogen Ustilago maydis. The Plant Cell 15: 2826–2842. , , .
- 1987. Persistent changes in the proliferative capacity of maize leaf tissues induced by Ustilago infection. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 30: 309–319. , .
- 2007. Transcript profiling in host–pathogen interactions. Annual Review of Phytopathology 45: 329–369. , , , .
- 2000. In vivo analysis of plant promoters and transcription factors by agroinfiltration of tobacco leaves. Plant Journal 22: 543–551. , , .
- 2007. Molecular analysis of three new receptor-like kinase genes from hexaploid wheat and evidence for their participation in the wheat hypersensitive response to stripe rust fungus infection. Plant Journal 52: 420–434. , , , , , , , , , et al.