These authors contributed equally to this work.
A seed high-lysine trait is negatively associated with the TCA cycle and slows down Arabidopsis seed germination
Version of Record online: 11 OCT 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 189, Issue 1, pages 148–159, January 2011
How to Cite
Angelovici, R., Fait, A., Fernie, A. R. and Galili, G. (2011), A seed high-lysine trait is negatively associated with the TCA cycle and slows down Arabidopsis seed germination. New Phytologist, 189: 148–159. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03478.x
- Issue online: 30 NOV 2010
- Version of Record online: 11 OCT 2010
- Received: 19 July 2010, Accepted: 9 August 2010
- 2009. Deciphering transcriptional and metabolic networks associated with lysine metabolism during Arabidopsis seed development. Plant Physiology 151: 2058–2072. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Seed desiccation: a bridge between maturation and germination. Trends in Plant Science 15: 211–218. , , , .
- 2010. Identification of the 2-hydroxyglutarate and isovaleryl-CoA dehydrogenases as alternative electron donors linking lysine catabolism to the electron transport chain of Arabidopsis mitochondria. Plant Cell 22: 1549–1563. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Seed germination and dormancy. Plant Cell 9: 1055–1066. .
- 1994. Regulation of alternative oxidase activity by pyruvate in soybean mitochondria. Plant Physiology 106: 1421–1427. , , , .
- 2007. Nonsupervised construction and application of mass spectral and retention time index libraries from time-of-flight gas chromatography-mass spectrometry metabolite profiles. Methods in Molecular Biology 358: 19–38. , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis seed development and germination is associated with temporally distinct metabolic switches. Plant Physiology 142: 839–854. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Reconfiguration of the achene and receptacle metabolic networks during strawberry fruit development. Plant Physiology 148: 730–750. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Modifying lysine biosynthesis and catabolism in corn with a single bifunctional expression/silencing transgene cassette. Plant Biotechnology Journal 6: 13–21. , , , , , .
- 2002. Proteomics of Arabidopsis seed germination. A comparative study of wild-type and gibberellin-deficient seeds. Plant Physiology 129: 823–837. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Complex I dysfunction redirects cellular and mitochondrial metabolism in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 148: 1324–1341. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular genetic approaches to developing quality protein maize. Trends in Genetics 21: 227–233. , .
- 2010. Broad connections in the Arabidopsis seed metabolic network revealed by metabolite profiling of an amino acid catabolism mutant. Plant Journal 61: 579–590. , , .
- 1990. More powerful procedures for multiple significance testing. Statistics in Medicine 9: 811–818. , .
- 2007. High-lysine corn generated by endosperm-specific suppression of lysine catabolism using rnai. Plant Biotechnology Journal 5: 605–614. , , , , , .
- 2004. Improving nutritional quality of maize proteins by expressing sense and antisense zein genes. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 52: 1958–1964. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The Golm metabolome database: a database for GC-MS based metabolite profiling. In: Nielsen J, Jewett M, eds. Metabolomics: a powerful tool in systems biology. Topics in Current Genetics Vol. 18. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York: Springer, 75–96. , , , .
- 2003. Exploration, normalization, and summaries of high density oligonucleotide array probe level data. Biostatistics 4: 249–264. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The critical role of Arabidopsis electron-transfer flavoprotein: ubiquinone oxidoreductase during dark-induced starvation. Plant Cell 17: 2587–2600. , , , , , .
- 2004. Lysine synthesis and catabolism are coordinately regulated during tobacco seed development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 91: 2577–2581. , , .
- 1976. Genetic regulation of storage protein content in maize endosperm. Biochemical Genetics 14: 641–650. , , , .
- 2009. Coordinations between gene modules control the operation of plant amino acid metabolic networks. BMC Systems Biology 3: 14. , .
- 2006. Gas chromatography mass spectrometry-based metabolite profiling in plants. Nature Protocols 1: 387–396. , , , , .
- 2004. Enhanced photosynthesis and redox energy production contribute to salinity tolerance in Dunaliella as revealed by homology-based proteomics. Plant Physiology 136: 2806–2817. , , , .
- 2009. A redox-mediated modulation of stem bolting in transgenic Nicotiana sylvestris differentially expressing the external mitochondrial NADPH dehydrogenase. Plant Physiology 150: 1248–1259. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Tagfinder for the quantitative analysis of gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC-MS)-based metabolite profiling experiments. Bioinformatics 24: 732–737. , , , .
- 1964. Mutant gene that changes protein composition and increases lysine content of maize endosperm. Science 145: 279–280. , , .
- 1971. Rapid development of mitochondria in pea cotyledons during the early stage of germination. Plant Physiology 48: 671–674. , .
- 2008. The enigmatic contribution of mitochondrial function in photosynthesis. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1675–1684. , , , .
- 2008. Decreased expression of cytosolic pyruvate kinase in potato tubers leads to a decline in pyruvate resulting in an in vivo repression of the alternative oxidase. Plant Physiology 148: 1640–1654. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Beneficial interactions of mitochondrial metabolism with photosynthetic carbon assimilation. Trends in Plant Science 8: 546–553. , .
- 2009. Alternative oxidase: a defence against metabolic fluctuations? Physiologia Plantarum 137: 371–382. , , .
- 2009. Genetic manipulation of lysine catabolism in maize kernels. Plant Molecular Biology 69: 81–89. , , , , .
- 2001. Metabolic profiling and phenotyping of genetically and environmentally modified systems. Plant Cell 13: 11–29. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Protocol for small-scale RNA isolation and transcriptional profiling of developing Arabidopsis seeds. BioTechniques 31: 756–758. , .
- 2003. A free, open-source system for microarray data management and analysis. BioTechniques 34: 374–378. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. A new opaque variant of maize by a single dominant RNA-interference-inducing transgene. Genetics 165: 387–397. , , .
- 2005. Expander – an integrative program suite for microarray data analysis. BMC Bioinformatics 6: 232. , , , , , , , .
- 1970. The pyruvate-aspartic semialdehyde condensing enzyme of Escherichia coli. Journal of Biological Chemistry 245: 1362–1373. , .
- 2006. Mitochondrial uncoupling protein is required for efficient photosynthesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 19587–19592. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Improving the content of essential amino acids in crop plants: goals and opportunities. Plant Physiology 147: 954–961. , .
- 2006. Pageman: an interactive ontology tool to generate, display, and annotate overview graphs for profiling experiments. BMC Bioinformatics 7: 535. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Molecular physiology of legume seed development. Annual Review of Plant Biology 56: 253–279. , , .
- 2008. Increasing amino acid supply in pea embryos reveals specific interactions of n and c metabolism, and highlights the importance of mitochondrial metabolism. Plant Journal 55: 909–926. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Increased lysine synthesis coupled with a knockout of its catabolism synergistically boosts lysine content and also trans regulates the metabolism of other amino acids in Arabidopsis seeds. Plant Cell 15: 845–853. , .