The second face of a known player: Arabidopsis silencing suppressor AtXRN4 acts organ-specifically
Article first published online: 6 OCT 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 189, Issue 2, pages 484–493, January 2011
How to Cite
Vogel, F., Hofius, D., Paulus, K. E., Jungkunz, I. and Sonnewald, U. (2011), The second face of a known player: Arabidopsis silencing suppressor AtXRN4 acts organ-specifically. New Phytologist, 189: 484–493. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03482.x
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 6 OCT 2010
- Received: 19 May 2010, Accepted: 17 August 2010
- 2003. Genome-wide insertional mutagenesis of Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 301: 653–657. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The diversity of RNA silencing pathways in plants. Trends in Genetics 22: 268–280. , .
- 2003. Temporal and spatial control of gene silencing in transgenic plants by inducible expression of double-stranded RNA. Plant Journal 36: 731–740. , , , .
- 2009. A hairpin RNA construct residing in an intron efficiently triggered RNA-directed DNA methylation in tobacco. Plant Journal 60: 840–851. , , , , , .
- 2000. An RNA-dependent RNA polymerase gene in Arabidopsis is required for posttranscriptional gene silencing mediated by a transgene but not by a virus. Cell 101: 543–553. , , , , .
- 2001. SDE3 encodes an RNA helicase required for post-transcriptional gene silencing in Arabidopsis. EMBO Journal 20: 2069–2077. , , , .
- 2006. Hierarchical action and inhibition of plant Dicer-like proteins in antiviral defense. Science 313: 68–71. , , , , , .
- 2007. Antiviral immunity directed by small RNAs. Cell 130: 413–426. , .
- 1988. Alphavirus RNA replicase is located on the cytoplasmic surface of endosomes and lysosomes. Journal of Cell Biology 107: 2075–2086. , , .
- 2004. A link between mRNA turnover and RNA interference in Arabidopsis. Science 306: 1046–1048. , , , , .
- 2008. A link between RNA metabolism and silencing affecting Arabidopsis development. Dev Cell 14: 854–866. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis FIERY1, XRN2, and XRN3 are endogenous RNA silencing suppressors. Plant Cell 19: 3451–3461. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Subcellular localization of host and viral proteins associated with tobamovirus RNA replication. EMBO Journal 22: 344–353. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Geminivirus AL2 and L2 proteins interact with and inactivate SNF1 kinase. Plant Cell 15: 1034–1048. , , , .
- 2007. SDE5, the putative homologue of a human mRNA export factor, is required for transgene silencing and accumulation of trans-acting endogenous siRNA. Plant Journal 50: 140–148. , , , , , .
- 2001. Evidence for expression level-dependent modulation of carbohydrate status and viral resistance by the Potato leafroll virus movement protein in transgenic tobacco plants. Plant Journal 28: 529–543. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Genevestigator V3: a reference expression database for the meta-analysis of transcriptomes. Advances in Bioinformatics 2008: doi: 10.1155/2008/420747. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Silencing of Nicotiana benthamiana Xrn4p exoribonuclease promotes tombusvirus RNA accumulation and recombination. Virology 386: 344–352. , .
- 2006. Gene identification and cloning by molecular marker mapping. Methods in Molecular Biology 323: 115–126. .
- 2002. Arabidopsis map-based cloning in the post-genome era. Plant Physiology 129: 440–450. , , , , , .
- 2000. Novel features of the XRN-family in Arabidopsis: evidence that AtXRN4, one of several orthologs of nuclear Xrn2p/Rat1p, functions in the cytoplasm. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 13985–13990. , .
- 2007. The silver lining of a viral agent: increasing seed yield and harvest index in Arabidopsis by ectopic expression of the Potato leaf roll virus movement protein. Plant Physiology 145: 905–918. , , , , , .
- 2006. Plant viral movement proteins: agents for cell-to-cell trafficking of viral genomes. Virology 344: 169–184. .
- 2000. Positional cloning in Arabidopsis. Why it feels good to have a genome initiative working for you. Plant Physiology 123: 795–805. , , .
- 1999. The PINHEAD/ZWILLE gene acts pleiotropically in Arabidopsis development and has overlapping functions with the ARGONAUTE1 gene. Development 126: 469–481. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Redundant and specific roles of the ARGONAUTE proteins AGO1 and ZLL in development and small RNA-directed gene silencing. PLoS Genetics 5: e1000646. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Role of the ZWILLE gene in the regulation of central shoot meristem cell fate during Arabidopsis embryogenesis. EMBO Journal 17: 1799–1809. , , , , .
- 2006. ETHYLENE-INSENSITIVE5 encodes a 5′-->3′ exoribonuclease required for regulation of the EIN3-targeting F-box proteins EBF1/2. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 13286–13293. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Getting the message across: how do plant cells exchange macromolecular complexes? Trends in Plant Science 9: 33–41. .
- 2006. The exoribonuclease XRN4 is a component of the ethylene response pathway in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 18: 3047–3057. , , , , , .
- 2005. Uncovering RNAi mechanisms in plants: biochemistry enters the foray. FEBS Letters 579: 5899–5903. , .
- 1996. The SAL1 gene of Arabidopsis, encoding an enzyme with 3′(2′),5′-bisphosphate nucleotidase and inositol polyphosphate 1-phosphatase activities, increases salt tolerance in yeast. Plant Cell 8: 529–537. , , .
- 1996. Brome mosaic virus helicase- and polymerase-like proteins colocalize on the endoplasmic reticulum at sites of viral RNA synthesis. Journal of Virology 70: 8908–8916. , .
- 2007. Viral suppression of RNA silencing: 2b wins the Golden Fleece by defeating Argonaute. Bioessays 29: 319–323. , .
- 1997. In situ localization of the putative movement protein (pr17) from potato leafroll luteovirus (PLRV) in infected and transgenic potato plants. Virology 235: 311–322. , , , , , .
- 2002. A high-throughput Arabidopsis reverse genetics system. Plant Cell 14: 2985–2994. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Expression of E. coli inorganic pyrophosphatase in transgenic plants alters photoassimilate partitioning. Plant Journal 2: 571–581. .
- 2004. AtXRN4 degrades mRNA in Arabidopsis and its substrates include selected miRNA targets. Molecular Cell 15: 173–183. , , .
- 2001. Sulfur assimilation in developing lupin cotyledons could contribute significantly to the accumulation of organic sulfur reserves in the seed. Plant Physiology 126: 176–187. , .
- 1991. The potato leafroll luteovirus 17K protein is a single-stranded nucleic acid-binding protein. Journal of General Virology 72: 2035–2038. , , , .
- 2001. Alfalfa mosaic virus replicase proteins P1 and P2 interact and colocalize at the vacuolar membrane. Journal of Virology 75: 1879–1887. , , , , .
- 2007. Intracellular trafficking of Potato leafroll virus movement protein in transgenic Arabidopsis. Traffic 8: 1205–1214. , , .
- 2004. Roles for host factors in plant viral pathogenicity. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 365–371. , .
- 2008. Diverse small RNA-directed silencing pathways in plants. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1779: 720–724. , .
- 2010. Arabidopsis thaliana XRN2 is required for primary cleavage in the pre-ribosomal RNA. Nucleic Acids Research. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkq1172. , , , , .