Stable isotope labelling and zinc distribution in grains studied by laser ablation ICP-MS in an ear culture system reveals zinc transport barriers during grain filling in wheat
Article first published online: 11 OCT 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 189, Issue 2, pages 428–437, January 2011
How to Cite
Wang, Y. X., Specht, A. and Horst, W. J. (2011), Stable isotope labelling and zinc distribution in grains studied by laser ablation ICP-MS in an ear culture system reveals zinc transport barriers during grain filling in wheat. New Phytologist, 189: 428–437. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03489.x
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 11 OCT 2010
- Received: 7 July 2010, Accepted: 31 August 2010
- 2008. Quantitative images of metals in plant tissues measured by laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Spectrochimica Acta Part B-Atomic Spectroscopy 63: 1248–1252. , , , , .
- 1996. The galvanization of biology: a growing appreciation for the roles of zinc. Science 271: 1081–1085. , .
- 2003. Elemental mapping using PIXE shows the main pathway of nickel movement is principally symplastic within the fruit of the hyperaccumulator Stackhousia tryonii. New Phytologist 160: 479–488. , , , , , .
- 2002. Distribution of iron, manganese, and zinc in mature grain and their mobilization during germination and early seedling development in maize. Journal of Plant Nutrition 25: 635–653. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Micronutrient fortification of plants through plant breeding: can it improve nutrition in man at low cost? Proceedings of Nutrition Society 62: 403–411. .
- 2007. Molecular genetic approaches to increasing mineral availability and vitamin content of cereals. Journal of Cereal Science 46: 308–326. , , , .
- 2008. Enrichment of cereal grains with zinc: Agronomic or genetic biofortification? Plant and Soil 302: 1–17. .
- 2009. Enrichment of fertilizers with zinc: an excellent investment for humanity and crop production in India. Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology 23: 281–289. .
- 2010. Biofortification of durum wheat with zinc and iron. Cereal Chemistry 87: 10–20. , , .
- 2007. Semi-quantitative analysis for selecting Fe- and Zn-dense genotypes of staple food crops. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 20: 496–505. , , .
- 1999. Feeding the world in the twenty-first century. Nature 402: C55–C58. , .
- 1977. The growth of detached wheat heads in liquid culture. Plant Science Letters 9: 107–113. , .
- 1990. Growth of wheat ears in liquid culture. In: BajajYPS, ed. Biotechnology in agriculture and forestry. Vol. 13: Wheat. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 269–282. , , .
- 2005. The zip family of zinc transporters. In: IuchiI, KuldellN, eds. Zinc finger proteins: from atomic contact to cellular function. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 261–264. .
- 2006. Zinc transporters and the cellular trafficking of zinc. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1763: 711–722. .
- 2003. Determination of the distribution of sulphur in wheat starchy endosperm cells using secondary ion mass spectroscopy (SIMS) combined with isotope enhancement. Journal of Cereal Science 37: 311–318. , , , .
- 2006. Zinc: the missing link in combating micronutrient malnutrition in developing countries. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 65: 51–60. .
- 1998. Zinc-induced inactivation of the yeast ZRT1 zinc transporter occurs through endocytosis and vacuolar degradation. Journal of Biological Chemistry 273: 28617–28624. , , , , .
- 1963. Studies of proteins of developing wheat endosperm: separation by starch gel electrophoresis and incorporation of 35S-sulphate. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 16: 357–365. , .
- 2007. Nutritious subsistence food systems. Advances in Agronomy 92: 1–74. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Molecular aspects of Cu, Fe and Zn homeostasis in plants. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta – Molecular Cell Research 1763: 595–608. , .
- 1999. Zeroing in on zinc uptake in yeast and plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 2: 244–249. , .
- 2001. Determination of the elemental composition of mature wheat grain using a modified secondary ion mass spectrometer (SIMS). Plant Journal 30: 237–245. , , , .
- 1994. Transfer of zinc from xylem to phloem in the peduncle of wheat. Journal of Plant Nutrition 17: 1587–1589. , .
- 2008. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on grain quality of wheat. Journal of Cereal Science 48: 580–591. , .
- 1968. Synthesis of starch in detached ears of wheat. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 21: 597–608. .
- 2006. Localization of iron in Arabidopsis seed requires the vacuolar membrane transporter VIT1. Science 314: 1295–1298. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Rising atmospheric CO2 and human nutrition: toward globally imbalanced plant stoichiometry? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17: 457–461. .
- 2009. Speciation and distribution of arsenic and localization of nutrients in rice grains. New Phytologist 184: 193–201. , , , , , .
- 1995. Effects of season long CO2 enrichment on cereals. II. Nutrient concentrations and grain quality. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 54: 175–185. , , , .
- 1985. Quantitative microanalysis of Mn, Zn, and other elements in mature wheat seed. New Phytologist 100: 483–509. , , .
- 2008. Speciation and localization of arsenic in white and brown rice grains. Environmental Science & Technology 42: 1051–1057. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Chemical imaging: the distribution of ions and molecules in developing and mature wheat grain. Journal of Cereal Science 41: 193–201. , , , , , .
- 2010. NanoSIMS analysis of arsenic and selenium in cereal grain. New Phytologist 185: 434–445. , , , , , , , .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Plant Physiology 15: 473–497. , .
- 2006. Biofortification of staple food crops. The Journal of Nutrition 136: 1064–1067. , , , .
- 1985. The vascular system of the wheat spikelet. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 12: 487–511. , , , .
- 2002. Developing seeds of Arabidopsis store different minerals in two types of vacuoles and in the endoplasmic reticulum. Plant Cell 14: 1311–1327. , , .
- 2006. Concentration and localization of zinc during seed development and germination in wheat. Physiologia Plantarum 128: 144–152. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996a. Differential transport of Zn, Mn, and sucrose along the longitudinal axis of developing wheat grains. Physiogia Plantarum 97: 332–338. , , , .
- 1994. Distribution and remobilization of Zn and Mn during grain development in wheat. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 1829–1835. , .
- 1999. Regulation of Zinc and Manganese transport into developing wheat grains having different Zinc and Manganese concentrations. Journal of Plant Nutrition 22: 1141–1152. , , .
- 1995. Transport of zinc and manganese to developing wheat grains. Physiogia Plantarum 95: 449–455. , , , .
- 1996b. Manipulation of xylem transport affects Zn and Mn transport into developing wheat grains of cultured ears. Physiogia Plantarum 98: 229–234. , , , .
- 1998. Dynamics of zinc and manganese movement in developing wheat grains. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 139–144. , , , .
- 2007. Variation of grain iron content in a local upland rice germplasm from the village of Huai Tee Cha in northern Thailand. Euphytica 158: 27–34. , , , , .
- 2004. The nutritional fortification of cereals. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 15: 162–165. , , .
- 2001. Xylem and phloem transport of micronutrients. In: HorstWJ et al. , eds. Plant nutrition – food security and sustainability of agro-ecosystems. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 628–629. .
- 2005. Redistribution of nickel, cobalt, manganese, zinc, and cadmium via the phloem in young and maturing wheat. Journal of Plant Nutrition 28: 421–430. , .
- 2005. Effect of sucrose on activity of starch synthesis enzymes in rice ears in culture. Physiologia Plantarum 124: 301–310. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. An improved medium for in vitro grain development from detached wheat spikelets. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 42: 227–231. , , .
- 2009. Laser ablation ICP-MS reveals patterns of copper differing from zinc in growth zones of cucumber roots. Planta 229: 945–954. , , .
- 1983. Culture of detached ears of wheat in liquid culture: modification and extension of the method. Australia Journal of Plant Physiology 10: 227–236. , .
- 2009. A roadmap for zinc trafficking in the developing barley grain based on laser capture microdissection and gene expression profiling. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 1333–1347. , , , .
- 1985. Phloem unloading of C and N assimilates in developing seeds. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 36: 317–343. .
- 2007. Localisation and quantification of elements within seeds of Cd/Zn hyperaccumulator Thlaspi praecox by micro-PIXE. Environmental Pollution 147: 50–59. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. The cellular pathway of photosynthate transfer in the developing wheat grain. II. A structural analysis and histochemical studies of the pathway from the crease phloem to the endosperm cavity. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 373–388. , , .
- 2009. Wheat (Triticum aestivum) NAM proteins regulate the translocation of iron, zinc, and nitrogen compounds from vegetative tissues to grain. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 4263–4274. , , , .
- 1999. A new paradigm for world agriculture: meeting human needs: Productive, sustainable, nutritious. Field Crops Research 60: 1–10. , .
- 2004. Breeding for micronutrients in staple food crops from a human nutrition perspective. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 353–364. , .
- 2005. Potential for improving bioavailable zinc in wheat grain (Triticum species) through plant breeding. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 53: 2176–2180. , , , .
- 2009. Rice endosperm iron biofortification by targeted and synergistic action of nicotianamine synthase and ferritin. Plant Biotechnology Journal 7: 631–644. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Imaging of nutrient elements in the leaves of Elsholtzia splendens by laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (LA-ICP-MS). Talanta 78: 132–137. , , , .
- 2007. The impact of free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) and nitrogen supply on grain quality of rice. Field Crops Research 102: 128–140. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Inferring the geometry of fourth-period metallic elements in Arabidopsis thaliana seeds using synchrotron-based multi-angle X-ray fluorescence mapping. Annals of Botany 100: 1357–1365. , , , , , .
- 1970. A special type of tracheary element associated with ‘xylem discontinuity’ in the floral axis of wheat. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 23: 783–791. , .
- 2006. Regulation of starch and protein synthesis in wheat grains by feeding sucrose and glutamine to detached ears cultured in vitro. Plant Growth Regulation 48: 247–259. , , , , .