These authors contributed equally to this work.
Haplotype analysis of the genes encoding glutamine synthetase plastic isoforms and their association with nitrogen-use- and yield-related traits in bread wheat
Article first published online: 12 OCT 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 189, Issue 2, pages 449–458, January 2011
How to Cite
Li, X.-P., Zhao, X.-Q., He, X., Zhao, G.-Y., Li, B., Liu, D.-C., Zhang, A.-M., Zhang, X.-Y., Tong, Y.-P. and Li, Z.-S. (2011), Haplotype analysis of the genes encoding glutamine synthetase plastic isoforms and their association with nitrogen-use- and yield-related traits in bread wheat. New Phytologist, 189: 449–458. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03490.x
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 12 OCT 2010
- Received: 3 August 2010, Accepted: 20 August 2010
- 2006. Mapping QTLs for nitrogen uptake in relation to the early growth of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant and Soil 284: 73–84. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Recent amplification and impact of MITEs on the genome of grapevine (Vitis vinifera L.). Genome Biology and Evolution 1: 75–84. , , , .
- 2008. Gene expression, cellular localisation and function of glutamine synthetase isozymes in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Molecular Biology 67: 89–105. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Glutamine synthetase in the phloem plays a major role in controlling proline production. Plant Cell 11: 1995–2011. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Ammonium assimilation and amino acid metabolism in conifers. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2307–2318. , , , , .
- 2003. Plant LTR-retrotrans-posons and MITEs:control of transposition and impact on the evolution of plant genes and genomes. Gene 311: 1–11. , .
- 2003. Primary N-assimilation into amino acids in Arabidopsis. In SomervilleCR, MeyerowitzEM, eds. The Arabidopsis book. Rockville, MD, USA: American Society of Plant Biologists, doi: 101199/tab 0010, http://www.aspb.org/publications/arabidopsis/. .
- 1990. Cell-specific expression in transgenic plants reveals nonoverlapping roles for chloroplast and cytosolic glutamine synthetase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 87: 3459–3463. , , .
- 1995. High-level tuber expression and sucrose inducibility of a potato Sus4 sucrose synthase gene require 5′ and 3′-flanking sequences and the leader intron. The Plant Cell 7: 1387–1394. , , .
- 1999. Developmental regulation of a cytosolic ascorbate peroxidase gene from tomato plants. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 262: 212–219. , , .
- 2004. An approach to the genetics of nitrogen use efficiency in maize. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 295–306. , .
- 2007. The genetics of nitrogen use in hexaploid wheat: n utilisation, development and yield. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 114: 403–419. , , , , .
- 2001. The role of cytosolic glutamine synthetase in wheat. Annals of Applied Biology 138: 83–89. , , , , .
- 2008. Genetic diversity and construction of core collection in Chinese wheat genetic resources. Chinese Science Bulletin 53: 908–915. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Physiology of maize II: identification of physiological markers representative of the nitrogen status of maize (Zea mays) leaves during grain filling. Physiologia Plantarum 124: 178–188. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Towards a better understanding of the genetic and physiological basis for nitrogen use efficiency in maize. Plant Physiology 125: 1258–1270. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Intron size, abundance, and distribution within untranslated regions of genes. Molecular Biology and Evolution 23: 2392–2404. , , .
- 2006. Combined agronomic and physiological aspects of nitrogen management in wheat highlight a central role for glutamine synthetase. New Phytologist 169: 265–278. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Seed-specific expression of sesame microsomal oleic acid desaturase is controlled by combinatorial properties between negative cis-regulatory elements in the SeFAD2 promoter and enhancers in the 5′-UTR intron. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 276: 351–368. , , , , , .
- 2007. Using genotype × nitrogen interaction variables to evaluate the QTL involved in wheat tolerance to nitrogen constraints. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 115: 399–415. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Two cytosolic glutamine synthetase isoforms of maize are specifically involved in the control of grain production. The Plant Cell 18: 3252–3274. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The role of glutamine synthetase and glutamate dehydrogenase in nitrogen assimilation and possibilities for improvement in the nitrogen utilization of crops. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 979–987. , .
- 2001. Mapping of QTLs associated with cytosolic glutamine synthetase and NADH-glutamate synthase in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1209–1217. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Identification and characterization of a QTL on chromosome 2 for cytosolic glutamine synthetase content and panicle number in rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 110: 1–11. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Tissue-specific distributin of glutamine synthetase in potato tubers. Annal of Botany (London) 77: 429–432. , , , .
- 2001. Structural and functional features of eukaryotic mRNA untranslated regions. Gene 276: 73–81. , , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of the polyubiquitin gene Ubi. U4 leader intron and first ubiquitin monomer on reporter gene expression in Nicotiana tabacum. Plant Molecular Biology 45: 655–667. , , , , , .
- 1999. A microsatellite marker associated with a QTL for grain protein content on chromosome arm 2DL of bread wheat. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 99: 341–345. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Barley necrotic locus nec1 encodes the cyclic nucleotide-gated ion channel 4 homologous to the Arabidopsis HLM1. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 275: 159–168. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Changes in the cellular localization of cytosolic glutamine synthetase protein in vascular bundles of rice leaves at various stages of development. Planta 200: 306–311. , , , .
- 2003. PlantProm: a database of plant promoter sequences. Nucleic Acids Research 31: 114–117. , , , , .
- 2006. Expression enhancement of a rice polyubiquitin gene promoter. Plant Molecular Biology 60: 225–239. , .
- 2005. Severe reduction in growth and grain filling of rice mutants lacking OsGS1;1, a cytosolic glutamine synthetase 1;1. Plant Journal 42: 641–655. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Arabidopsis thaliana GLN2-encoded glutamine synthetase is dual targeted to leaf mitochondria and chloroplasts. The Plant Cell 16: 2048–2058. , , , .
- 2004. Mismatch cleavage by single-strand specific nucleases. Nucleic Acids Research 32: 2632–2641. , , , .
- 1988. Chloroplast and cytosolic glutamine synthetase are encoded by homologous nuclear genes which are differentially expressed in vivo. Journal of Biology Chemistry 263: 9651–9657. , , , , .
- 1995. cis-elements and trans-acting factors affecting regulation of a nonphotosynthetic light-regulated gene for chloroplast glutamine synthetase. Plant Physiology 108: 1109–1117. , , .
- 2001. Cellular compartmentation of ammonium assimilation in rice and barley. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 591–604. , .
- 1987. Barley mutants lacking chloroplast glutamine synthetase. Biochemical and genetic analysis. Plant Physiology 83: 155–158. , , , , .
- 2003. Rice ubiquitin promoters: deletion analysis and potential usefulness in plant transformation systems. Plant Cell Reports 22: 129–134. , .
- 1996. Investigation on genetic background of leaf chlorophyll content variation in rice under nitrogen stressed condition via molecular markers. Acta Genetica Sinica 23: 431–438. , .
- 2002. Genetic manipulation and quantitative-trait loci mapping for nitrogen recycling in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 917–925. , , , , , .
- 2007. Identification of quantitative trait loci and environmental interactions for accumulation and remobilization of water-soluble carbohydrates in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) stems. Genetics 176: 571–584. , , , .
- 1997. Analysis of QTL × environment interaction for yield components and plant height in rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 95: 799–808. , , , , , , .