Association between nonsynonymous mutations of starch synthase IIa and starch quality in rice (Oryza sativa)
Version of Record online: 11 OCT 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 189, Issue 2, pages 593–601, January 2011
How to Cite
Yu, G., Olsen, K. M. and Schaal, B. A. (2011), Association between nonsynonymous mutations of starch synthase IIa and starch quality in rice (Oryza sativa). New Phytologist, 189: 593–601. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03495.x
- Issue online: 22 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 11 OCT 2010
- Received: 3 August 2010, Accepted: 26 August 2010
- 1999. Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Molecular Biology and Evolution 16: 37–48. , , .
- 1979. Gelatinization temperature of rice starch and its determination. Laguna, Los Banos, Philippines: International Rice Research Institute. .
- 1998. Use of alternate splice sites in granule-bound starch synthase mRNA from low-amylose rice varieties. Plant Molecular Biology 38: 407–415. , , , , , .
- 2007. TASSEL: software for association mapping of complex traits in diverse samples. Bioinformatics 23: 2633–2635. , , , , , .
- 1998. Starch granules: structure and biosynthesis. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 23: 85–112. , , , .
- 1990. Isolation of plant DNA from fresh tissue. Focus 12: 13–15. , .
- 2000. Hitchhiking under positive Darwinian selection. Genetics 155: 1405–1413. , .
- 2004. Involvement of lysine-193 of the conserved ‘K-T-G-G’ motif in the catalysis of maize starch synthase IIa. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 427: 1–7. , , , .
- 2005. Genetic structure and diversity in Oryza sativa L. Genetics 169: 1631–1638. , , , , .
- 2006. Functional analysis of starch-synthesis genes in determining rice eating and cooking qualities. Molecular Breeding 18: 277–290. , , , , , .
- 1997. Origin, dispersal, cultivation and variation of rice. Plant Molecular Biology 35: 25–34. .
- 1968. Genetical and thremmatological studies of characters, physiological or ecological, in the hybrids between ecological rice groups. Bulletin of the National Institute of Agricultural Sciences Series D 19: 1–8. .
- 2006. Rice domestication by reducing shattering. Science 311: 1936–1939. , .
- 2009. DnaSP v5: a software for comprehensive analysis of DNA polymorphism data. Bioinformatics 25: 1451–1452. , .
- 1958. Differential effect of dilute alkali on 25 varieties of milled white rice. Cereal Chemistry 35: 111–126. , , .
- 2006. Phylogeography of Asian wild rice, Oryza rufipogon, reveals multiple independent domestications of cultivated rice, Oryza sativa. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 9578–9583. , , , , .
- 2004. The effects of human population structure on large genetic association studies. Nature Genetics 36: 512–517. , , , .
- 2000. Recent progress toward understanding biosynthesis of the amylopectin crystal. Plant Physiology 122: 989–997. , , , .
- 2005. Essential amino acids of starch synthase IIa differentiate amylopectin structure and starch quality between japonica and indica rice varieties. Plant Molecular Biology 58: 213–227. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Involvement of conserved aspartate and glutamate residues in the catalysis and substrate binding of maize starch synthase. Biochemistry 39: 7820–7825. , , , .
- 2003. DnaSP, DNA polymorphism analyses by the coalescent and other methods. Bioinformatics 19: 2496–2497. , , , .
- 2007. The puzzle of rice domestication. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 49: 760–768. , .
- 2007. The complex history of the domestication of rice. Annals of Botany 100: 951–957. , .
- 2007. Global dissemination of a single mutation conferring white pericarp in rice. PLoS Genetics 3: e133. , , , , , , .
- 1983. Evolutionary relationship of DNA-sequences in finite populations. Genetics 105: 437–460. .
- 1989. Statistical method for testing the neutral mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphism. Genetics 123: 585–595. .
- 1987. A cladistic-analysis of phenotypic associations with haplotypes inferred from restriction endonuclease mapping. 1. Basic theory and an analysis of alcohol-dehydrogenase activity in Drosophila. Genetics 117: 343–351. , , .
- 2009. Allelic diversities in rice starch biosynthesis lead to a diverse array of rice eating and cooking qualities. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 21760–21765. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Single-nucleotide polymorphisms in rice starch synthase IIa that alter starch gelatinisation and starch association of the enzyme. Functional Plant Biology 32: 763–768. , .
- 2004. Natural variation in rice starch synthase IIa affects enzyme and starch properties. Functional Plant Biology 31: 671–684. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Mapping of a gene responsible for the difference in amylopectin structure between japonica-type and indica-type rice varieties. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 104: 1–8. , , , , .
- 1995. The amylose content in rice endosperm is related to the posttranscriptional regulation of the waxy gene. Plant Journal 7: 613–622. , , , , , , , .
- 1914. Disintegration of rice grains by means of alkali. Bulletin of Agricultural Research Institute 38: 1–9. , .
- 1975. On the number of segregating sites in genetical models without recombination. Theoretical Population Biology 7: 256–276. .
- 2002. Genetic diversity and selection in the maize starch pathway. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 12959–12962. , , , , .
- 2009. Evolution of endosperm starch synthesis pathway genes in the context of rice (Oryza sativa) domestication. PhD thesis, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO, USA. .