Nitric oxide participates in cold-responsive phosphosphingolipid formation and gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana
Article first published online: 11 OCT 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 189, Issue 2, pages 415–427, January 2011
How to Cite
Cantrel, C., Vazquez, T., Puyaubert, J., Rezé, N., Lesch, M., Kaiser, W. M., Dutilleul, C., Guillas, I., Zachowski, A. and Baudouin, E. (2011), Nitric oxide participates in cold-responsive phosphosphingolipid formation and gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist, 189: 415–427. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03500.x
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 11 OCT 2010
- Received: 24 June 2010, Accepted: 5 September 2010
- 2009. Differential modulation of S-nitrosoproteome of Brassica juncea by low temperature: change in S-nitrosylation of Rubisco is responsible for the inactivation of its carboxylase activity. Proteomics 9: 4368–4380. , .
- 2008. New insights into nitric oxide signaling in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 21–39. , , .
- 2006. ABA-induced NO generation and stomatal closure in Arabidopsis are dependent on H2O2 synthesis. Plant Journal 45: 113–122. , , , , .
- 2004. A prominent role for CBF cold response pathway in configuring the low-temperature metabolome of Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 15243–15248. , , , .
- 2008. Metabolism of reactive nitrogen species in pea plants under abiotic stress conditions. Plant and Cell Physiology 49: 1711–1722. , , , , , .
- 2003. Sphingolipid signalling in Arabidopsis guard cells involves heterotrimeric G proteins. Nature 423: 651–654. , , , , , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis sphingosine kinase and the effects of phytosphingosine-1-phosphate on stomatal aperture. Plant Physiology 137: 724–737. , , , , , .
- 2008. Nitric oxide-induced phosphatidic acid accumulation: a role for phospholipases C and D in stomatal closure. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 187–194. , , , .
- 2005. A global survey of gene regulation during cold acclimation in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genetics 1: e26. , , .
- 2004. Exploring the temperature-stress metabolome of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 136: 4159–4168. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cerebrosides in grapevine leaves: distinct composition of sphingoid bases among grapevine species having different tolerances to freezing temperature. Bioscience Biotechnology and Biochemistry 64: 1271–1273. , , , , .
- 2008. Nitric oxide triggers phosphatidic acid accumulation via phospholipase D during auxin-induced adventitious root formation in cucumber. Plant Physiology 147: 188–198. , , .
- 2007. Nitric oxide is critical for inducing phosphatidic acid accumulation in xylanase-elicited tomato cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 21160–21168. , , , .
- 2005. The Arabidopsis cold-responsive transcriptome and its regulation by ICE1. Plant Cell 17: 3155–3175. , , .
- 2003. Ceramides modulate programmed cell death in plants. Genes and Development 17: 2636–2641. , , , , , .
- 1998. Two transcription factors, DREB1 and DREB2, with an EREBP/AP2 DNA binding domain separate two cellular signal transduction pathways in drought- and low-temperature-responsive gene expression, respectively, in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 10: 1391–1406. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Lipid signaling in Arabidopsis: no sphingosine? No problem! Trends in Plant Science 14: 463–466. , , .
- 1987. Plasma membrane lipid alterations associated with cold acclimation of winter rye seedlings (Secale cereale L. cv Puma). Plant Physiology 83: 761–767. , .
- 2003. Phospholipid-based signaling in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 265–306. , .
- 2006. Decrease arginine and nitrite levels in nitrate reductase-deficient Arabidopsis thaliana plants impair nitric oxide synthesis and hypersensitive response to Pseudomonas syringae. Plant Science 171: 34–40. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Rapid turnover of polyphosphoinositides in carnation flower petals. Planta 192: 89–98. , , .
- 2008. Nitric oxide evolution and perception. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 25–35. , , , , , .
- 2001. Drought-induced guard cells signal transduction involves sphingosine-1-phosphate. Nature 410: 596–599. , , , , .
- 2004. CBF2/DREB1C is a negative regulator of CBF1/DREB1B and CBF3/DREB1A expression and plays a central role in stress tolerance in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 3885–3890. , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis CBF1 and CBF3 have a different function than CBF2 in cold acclimation and define different gene classes in the CBF regulon. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 21002–21007. , , .
- 2008. Nitric oxide-responsive genes and promoters in Arabidopsis thaliana: a bioinformatics approach. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 177–186. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Microarray analysis of nitric oxide responsive transcripts in Arabidopsis. Plant Biotechnology Journal 2: 359–366. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Plant sphingolipids: decoding the enigma of the Sphinx. New Phytologist 185: 611–630. , , .
- 2004. Arabidopsis nonsymbiotic hemoglobin AHb1 modulates nitric oxide bioactivity. Plant Cell 16: 2785–2794. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Gene expression phenotypes of Arabidopsis associated with sensitivity to low temperatures. Plant Physiology 132: 893–906. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Biosynthesis of inositol phosphoceramides and remodeling of glycosylphosphatidylinositol anchors in Saccharomyces cerevisiae are mediated by different enzymes. Journal of Biological Chemistry 273: 30550–30559. , .
- 2002. Activation of phospholipases C and D is an early response to a cold exposure in Arabidopsis suspension cells. Plant Physiology 130: 999–1007. , , , , .
- 2009. Cold signaling and cold acclimation in plants. Advances in Botanical Research 49: 35–150. , , , .
- 2006. A class 1 hemoglobin gene from Alnus firma functions in symbiotic and nonsymbiotic tissues to detoxify nitric oxide. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 19: 441–450. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Symbiotic Rhizobium and nitric oxide induce gene expression of non-symbiotic hemoglobin in Lotus japonicus. Plant and Cell Physiology 46: 99–107. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Phosphatidic acid formation is required for extracellular ATP-mediated nitric oxide production in suspension-cultured tomato cells. New Phytologist 185: 909–916. , , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis transcription factors regulating cold acclimation. Physiologia Plantarum 126: 72–80. , .
- 2005. The cold-induced early activation of phospholipase C and D pathways determines the response of two distinct clusters of genes in Arabidopsis cell suspensions. Plant Physiology 139: 1217–1233. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Roles of the CBF2 and ZAT12 transcription factors in configuring the low temperature transcriptome of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 41: 195–211. , , , , .
- 1993. Identification and characterization of a chlorate-resistant mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana with mutation in both nitrate reductase structural genes NIA1 and NIA2. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 239: 289–297. , .
- 2009. Nitric reductase-dependent nitric oxide production is involved in cold acclimation and freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 151: 755–767. , , , .