Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms.
A Medicago truncatula NADPH oxidase is involved in symbiotic nodule functioning
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2010
© The Authors (2010). Journal compilation © New Phytologist Trust (2010)
Volume 189, Issue 2, pages 580–592, January 2011
How to Cite
Marino, D., Andrio, E., Danchin, E. G. J., Oger, E., Gucciardo, S., Lambert, A., Puppo, A. and Pauly, N. (2011), A Medicago truncatula NADPH oxidase is involved in symbiotic nodule functioning. New Phytologist, 189: 580–592. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03509.x
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 13 DEC 2010
- Received: 22 July 2010, Accepted: 8 September 2010
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Research 25: 3389–3402. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 373–399. , .
- 2007. Antisense repression of the Medicago truncatula nodule-enhanced sucrose synthase leads to a handicapped nitrogen fixation mirrored by specific alterations in the symbiotic transcriptome and metabolome. Plant Physiology 145: 1600–1618. , , , .
- 2005. Sensing and signalling in response to oxygen deprivation in plants and other organisms. Annals of Botany 96: 507–518. , .
- 2004. The Pfam protein families database. Nucleic Acids Research 32: D138–D141. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Global changes in gene expression in Sinorhizobium meliloti 1021 under microoxic and symbiotic conditions. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 17: 292–303. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A gene expression atlas of the model legume Medicago truncatula. Plant Journal 55: 504–513. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Agrobacterium rhizogenes-transformed roots of Medicago truncatula for the study of nitrogen-fixing and endomycorrhizal symbiotic associations. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 695–700. , , , , , .
- 2006. Overexpression of BetS, a Sinorhizobium meliloti high-affinity betaine transporter, in bacteroids from Medicago sativa nodules sustains nitrogen fixation during early salt stress adaptation. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 19: 896–903. , , , .
- 2008. Fast, transient and specific intracellular ROS changes in living root hair cells responding to Nod factors (NFs). Plant Journal 56: 802–813. , , , .
- 2003. Nodule-specific modulation of glutamine synthetase in transgenic Medicago truncatula leads to inverse alterations in asparagine synthetase expression. Plant Physiology 133: 243–252. , , , , .
- 2004. MUSCLE: multiple sequence alignment with high accuracy and high throughput. Nucleic Acids Research 32: 1792–1797. .
- 2003. Reactive oxygen species produced by NADPH oxidase regulate plant cell growth. Nature 422: 442–446. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Infection and invasion of roots by symbiotic, nitrogen-fixing rhizobia during nodulation of temperate legumes. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews 68: 280–300. .
- 1993. A Rhizobium meliloti homolog of the Escherichia coli peptide-antibiotic transport protein SbmA is essential for bacteroid development. Genes and Development 7: 1485–1497. , , .
- 2005. The roles of redox processes in pea nodule development and senescence. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 1293–1304. , , , , , , .
- 2003. A simple, fast, and accurate algorithm to estimate large phylogenies by maximum likelihood. Systematic Biology 52: 696–704. , .
- 1968. The acetylene–ethylene assay for N2 fixation: laboratory and field evaluation. Plant Physiology 43: 1185–1207. , , , .
- 1983. Ultrastructural analysis of ineffective alfalfa nodules formed by nif::Tn5 mutants of Rhizobium meliloti. Journal of Bacteriology 155: 367–380. , , .
- 2007. H2O2 is required for optimal establishment of the Medicago sativa/Sinorhizobium meliloti symbiosis. Journal of Bacteriology 189: 8741–8745. , , , .
- 2000. NADPH oxidase: a universal oxygen sensor? Free Radical Biology and Medicine 29: 416–424. , , .
- 2001. Role of auxin-induced reactive oxygen species in root gravitropism. Plant Physiology 126: 1055–1060. , , .
- 2001. Medicago truncatula ENOD11: a novel RPRP-encoding early nodulin gene expressed during mycorrhization in arbuscule-containing cells. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 737–748. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. GATEWAY vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 193–195. , , .
- 2003. NADPH oxidase AtrbohD and AtrbohF genes function in ROS-dependent ABA signaling in Arabidopsis. EMBO Journal 22: 2623–2633. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Analysis of the 5′ regulatory region of the gene for δ-aminolevulinic acid synthetase of Rhizobium meliloti. Nucleic Acids Research 13: 5965–5976. , , .
- 2009. Hydrogen peroxide acts as a signal molecule in the adventitious root formation of mung bean seedlings. Environmental and Experimental Botany 65: 63–71. , , , , .
- 2004. Production of reactive oxygen intermediates O2˙−, H2O2, and ˙OH by maize roots and their role in wall loosening and elongation growth. Plant Physiology 136: 3114–3123. , , .
- 2009. Lipid microdomain polarization is required for NADPH oxidase-dependent ROS signaling in Picea meyeri pollen tube tip growth. Plant Journal 60: 303–313. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A transient decrease in reactive oxygen species in roots leads to root hair deformation in the legume–rhizobia symbiosis. New Phytologist 173: 39–49. , , , .
- 2001. Genes and signals in the Rhizobium–legume symbiosis. Plant Physiology 125: 69–72. .
- 2008. NADPH oxidase involvement in cellular integrity. Planta 227: 1415–1418. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A novel family in Medicago truncatula consisting of more than 300 nodule-specific genes coding for small, secreted polypeptides with conserved cysteine motifs. Plant Physiology 132: 161–173. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Oscillations in extracellular pH and reactive oxygen species modulate tip growth of Arabidopsis root hairs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 20996–21001. , , , , .
- 2007. The response of carbon metabolism and antioxidant defenses of alfalfa nodules to drought stress and to the subsequent recovery of plants. Plant Physiology 144: 1104–1114. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Hydrogen peroxide signalling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 388–395. , , .
- 2006. Phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase plays a crucial role in limiting nitrogen fixation in Lotus japonicus nodules. Plant and Cell Physiology 47: 613–621. , , , , , .
- 2008. Coordinating nodule morphogenesis with rhizobial infection in legumes. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 519–546. , .
- 2006. Reactive oxygen and nitrogen species and glutathione: key players in the legume–Rhizobium symbiosis. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 1769–1776. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Calcium channels activated by hydrogen peroxide mediate abscisic acid signalling in guard cells. Nature 406: 731–734. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Root hair curling and Rhizobium infection in Medicago truncatula are mediated by phosphatidylinositide-regulated endocytosis and reactive oxygen species. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 1637–1649. , , .
- 2005. Legume nodule senescence: roles for redox and hormone signalling in the orchestration of the natural aging process. New Phytologist 165: 683–701. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Nod factor induction of reactive oxygen species production is correlated with expression of the early nodulin gene rip1 in Medicago truncatula. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 522–528. , , .
- 2004. OXI1 kinase is necessary for oxidative burst-mediated signalling in Arabidopsis. Nature 427: 858–861. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1975. Indole-3-acetic-acid catabolism by soybean bacteroids. Journal of General Microbiology 88: 223–228. , .
- 2003. MrBayes 3: Bayesian phylogenetic inference under mixed models. Bioinformatics 19: 1572–1574. , .
- 2009. Immunolocalization of antioxidant enzymes in high-pressure frozen root and stem nodules of Sesbania rostrata. New Phytologist 183: 395–407. , , , , .
- 2004. Localization of superoxide dismutases and hydrogen peroxide in legume root nodules. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 17: 1294–1305. , , , , , , .
- 1982. Directed transposon Tn5 mutagenesis and complementation analysis of Rhizobium meliloti symbiotic nitrogen fixation genes. Cell 29: 551–559. , , .
- 2001. Superoxide production by plant homologues of the gp91phox NADPH oxidase. Modulation of activity by calcium and by tobacco mosaic virus infection. Plant Physiology 126: 1281–1290. , .
- 2006. Production of reactive oxygen species by plant NADPH oxidases. Plant Physiology 141: 336–340. , .
- 2001. Oxidative burst in alfalfa–Sinorhizobium meliloti symbiotic interaction. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 86–89. , , , , .
- 2005. Transcript enrichment of Nod factor-elicited early nodulin genes in purified root hair fractions of the model legume Medicago truncatula. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2507–2513. , , , , .
- 2010. Genome sequence of the palaeopolyploid soybean. Nature 463: 178–183. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Role of reactive oxygen species in fungal cellular differentiations. Current Opinion in Microbiology 11: 488–493. , .
- 2002. The plasma membrane oxidase NtrbohD is responsible for AOS production in elicited tobacco cells. Plant Journal 31: 137–147. , , .
- 2006. Involvement of hydrogen peroxide generated by polyamine oxidative degradation in the development of lateral roots in soybean. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 48: 426–432. , , .
- 2006. A p67Phox-like regulator is recruited to control hyphal branching in a fungal–grass mutualistic symbiosis. Plant Cell 18: 2807–2821. , , .
- 2006. Reactive oxygen species play a role in regulating a fungus–perennial ryegrass mutualistic interaction. Plant Cell 18: 1052–1066. , , , , .
- 2005. Functions of the respiratory burst oxidase in biotic interactions, abiotic stress and development. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 397–403. , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis gp91phox homologues AtrbohD and AtrbohF are required for accumulation of reactive oxygen intermediates in the plant defense response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 517–522. , , .
- 2006. Aging in legume symbiosis. A molecular view on nodule senescence in Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiology 141: 711–720. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Genome-wide analysis of hydrogen peroxide-regulated gene expression in Arabidopsis reveals a high light-induced transcriptional cluster involved in anthocyanin biosynthesis. Plant Physiology 139: 806–821. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Accurate normalization of real-time quantitative RT-PCR data by geometric averaging of multiple internal control genes. Genome Biology 3: http://genomebiology.com/content/3/7/RESEARCH0034 . , , , , , , .
- 2007. Regulation of rice NADPH oxidase by binding of Rac GTPase to its N-terminal extension. Plant Cell 19: 4022–4034. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. The PEP-carboxylase kinase gene family in Glycine max (GmPpcK1-4): an in-depth molecular analysis with nodulated, non-transgenic and transgenic plants. Plant Journal 49: 910–923. , , , .
- 2003. Nicotiana benthamiana gp91phox homologs NbrbohA and NbrbohB participate in H2O2 accumulation and resistance to Phytophthora infestans. Plant Cell 15: 706–718. , , , , , , , .