Aquatic adventitious roots of the wetland plant Meionectes brownii can photosynthesize: implications for root function during flooding
Article first published online: 9 NOV 2010
© 2010 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2010 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Plant anaerobiosis
Volume 190, Issue 2, pages 311–319, April 2011
How to Cite
Rich, S. M., Ludwig, M., Pedersen, O. and Colmer, T. D. (2011), Aquatic adventitious roots of the wetland plant Meionectes brownii can photosynthesize: implications for root function during flooding. New Phytologist, 190: 311–319. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03524.x
- Issue published online: 28 MAR 2011
- Article first published online: 9 NOV 2010
- Received: 31 July 2010, Accepted: 20 September 2010
- 1979. Aeration in higher plants. Advances in Botanical Research 7: 225–332. .
- 2002. Root growth and metabolism under oxygen deficiency. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant roots: the hidden half. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, Inc., 729–761. , .
- 1980. Carbon dioxide and water vapour exchange in the white mangrove. Photosynthetica 14: 40–47. , .
- 1980. Phosphorus sources for aquatic weeds: water or sediments? Science 207: 987–989. , .
- 2003. Long-distance transport of gases in plants: a perspective on internal aeration and radial oxygen loss from roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 17–36. .
- 2008. Underwater photosynthesis and respiration in leaves of submerged wetland plants: gas films improve CO2 and O2 exchange. New Phytologist 177: 918–926. , .
- 1977. The function of root systems in mineral nutrition of watercress (Rorippanasturtium-aquaticum (L.) Hayek). Plant and Soil 47: 395–406. , .
- 1980. Soil anaerobiosis, microorganisms, and root function. Annual Review of Phytopathology 18: 37–66. , .
- 1988. Carbon dioxide fixation in aerial roots of the New Zealand mangrove Avicennia marina var. Resinifera. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 22: 617–619. .
- 1984. Comparative studies of plant growth and distribution in relation to waterlogging: X. Differential formation of adventitious roots and their experimental excision in Epilobium hirsutum and Chamerion angustifolium. The Journal of Ecology 72: 389–404. .
- 2003. Review: mechanisms of anoxia tolerance in plants. I. Growth, survival and anaerobic catabolism. Functional Plant Biology 30: 1–47. , .
- 1955. Photosynthesis. London, UK: Methuen and Co. Ltd. , .
- 2009. Sulfide intrusion in the tropical seagrasses Thalassia testudinum and Syringodium filiforme. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 85: 319–326. , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. Effects of flooding on growth and metabolism of herbaceous plants. Flooding and Plant Growth. London, UK: Academic Press Inc. , .
- 1976. Mathematical formulation of the relationship between photosynthesis and light for phytoplankton. Limnology and Oceanography 21: 540–547. , .
- 1987. The anatomical characteristics of roots and plant response to soil flooding. New Phytologist 106: 465–495. , .
- 1981. Uptake through aquatic roots and distribution of 15N-tagged ammonium in deepwater rice. In: Proceedings of the 1981 International Deepwater Rice Workshop. Los Baños, Philippines: IRRI, 321–326. URL: http://dspace.irri.org:8080/dspace/handle/10269/273. , , .
- 2005. Submergence-induced morphological, anatomical, and biochemical responses in a terrestrial species affect gas diffusion resistance and photosynthetic performance. Plant Physiology 139: 497–508. , , , , .
- 2007. Phylogenetic systematics and character evolution in the angiosperm family Haloragaceae. American Journal of Botany 94: 2005–2025. , .
- 1992. Waterlogging responses of Sporobolus virginicus L. Kunth. Oecologia 90: 445–450. , .
- 2009. Surviving floods: leaf gas films improve O2 and CO2 exchange, root aeration, and growth of completely submerged rice. Plant Journal 58: 147–156. , , .
- 2006. Oxygen dynamics during submergence in the halophytic stem succulent Halosarcia pergranulata. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1388–1399. , , .
- 2007. Plastid biogenesis and differentiation. Topics in Current Genetics: Cell and Molecular Biology of Plastids. Heidelberg, Germany: Heidelberg, Springer Berlin 19: 1–28. .
- 1983. A method for measuring leaf volume, density, thickness, and internal gas volume. Hortscience 18: 698–699. .
- 1991. Sediment and water as sources of nitrogen and phosphorus for submerged rooted aquatic macrophytes. Aquatic Botany 40: 225–237. , , .
- 1989. An oxygen microsensor with a guard cathode. Limnology and Oceanography 34: 474–478. .
- 2008. Photosynthesis in aquatic adventitious roots of the halophytic stem-succulent Tecticornia pergranulata (formerly Halosarcia pergranulata). Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 1007–1016. , , .
- 1998. Aquatic and wetland plants: a field guide for non-tropical Australia. Sydney, Australia: University of New South Wales Press Ltd. .
- 1967. The biology of aquatic vascular plants. London, UK: Edward Arnold Ltd. .
- 1980. Photosynthesis by aquatic plants: effects of unstirred layers in relation to assimilation of CO2 and HCO3− and to carbon isotopic discrimination. New Phytologist 86: 245–259. , .
- 1996. Aquatic chemistry. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons. , .
- 1990. Aerenchyma formation and associated oxygen movement in seminal and nodal roots of wheat. Plant, Cell & Environment 13: 395–403. , , , .
- 2006. How plants cope with complete submergence. New Phytologist 170: 213–226. , , , , .
- 1982. Uptake and transport of 86Rb, 32P, 36Cl and 22Na by four submerged hydrophytes. Aquatic Botany 13: 179–186. , , .
- 1989. Diurnal changes in radial oxygen loss and ethanol metabolism in roots of submerged and non-submerged rice seedlings. New Phytologist 113: 439–451. , , , , , , .
- 1983. The effects of anoxia and carbohydrates on the growth and viability of rice, pea and pumpkin roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 34: 579–603. , .
- 1994. The spectral determination of chlorophylls a and b, as well as total carotenoids, using various solvents with spectrophotometers of different resolution. Journal of Plant Physiology 144: 307–313. .