Water quality as a threat to aquatic plants: discriminating between the effects of nitrate, phosphate, boron and heavy metals on charophytes
Article first published online: 18 NOV 2010
© 2010 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2010 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Carbon cycling in tropical ecosystems’
Volume 189, Issue 4, pages 1051–1059, March 2011
How to Cite
Lambert, S. J. and Davy, A. J. (2011), Water quality as a threat to aquatic plants: discriminating between the effects of nitrate, phosphate, boron and heavy metals on charophytes. New Phytologist, 189: 1051–1059. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03543.x
- Issue published online: 3 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 18 NOV 2010
- Received: 10 August 2010, Accepted: 3 October 2010
- 2008a. Control of ecosystem state in a shallow, brackish lake: implications for the conservation of stonewort communities. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 18: 221–240. , , , , , .
- 2008b. Effects of nitrate load on submerged plant biomass and species richness: results of a mesocosm experiment. Fundamental and Applied Limnology 173: 89–100. , , , , .
- 1999. Dynamics and stability of Chara sp. and Potamogeton pectinatus in a shallow lake changing in eutrophication level. Hydrobiologia 409: 335–342. , , , .
- 1988. Phosphorus toxicity in Chara. Aquatic Botany 32: 393–395. .
- 1992. Decline of charophytes during eutrophication – comparison with angiosperms. Freshwater Biology 28: 9–14. .
- 2000. Distribution of charophytes along the swedish coast in relation to salinity and eutrophication. International Review of Hydrobiology 85: 707–717. .
- 1989. Regression of Phragmites australis reedswamps and recent changes of water chemistry in the Norfolk broadland, England. Aquatic Botany 35: 41–55. , , .
- 1987. The uptake of nitrate and ammonium nitrogen in Chara hispida L.: the contribution of the rhizoid. Plant, Cell & Environment 10: 169–176. .
- 1988. A theory of gradient analysis. Advances in Ecological Research 18: 271–313. , .
- 1964. Experimental investigations into the mineral nutrition of several grass species IV. Nitrogen level. Journal of Ecology 52: 665–676. , , , .
- 2008. Boron in plants: deficiency and toxicity. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 50: 1247–1255. , , .
- 2006. Ecological and toxicological effects of inorganic nitrogen pollution in aquatic ecosystems: a global assessment. Environment International 32: 831–849. , .
- 2005. Nitrate toxicity to aquatic animals: a review with new data for freshwater invertebrates. Chemosphere 58: 1255–1267. , , .
- 1991. Hierarchical partitioning. American Statistician 45: 90–96. , .
- 1984a. The apparent induction of nitrate uptake by Chara corallina cells following pretreatment with or without nitrate and chlorate. Journal of Experimental Botany 35: 1182–1193. .
- 1984b. Mechanism of nitrate uptake into Chara corallina cells: lack of evidence for obligatory coupling to proton pump and a new NO3−/NO3− exchange model. Plant, Cell & Environment 7: 317–323. .
- 1985. Regulation of nitrate uptake into Chara corallina cells via NH4+ stimulation of NO3− efflux. Plant, Cell & Environment 8: 105–110. .
- 1964. Phosphorus, a maximum factor in the growth of Characeae. Nature 201: 275–289. .
- 1991. Control of Chara with oxadiazon and copper sulfate in waterlogged rice fields in India. Crop Protection 10: 371–374. .
- 1987. Effects of heavy metals on growth and ultrastructure of Chara vulgaris. Protoplasma 136: 37–48. .
- 2005. Nitrate availability and hydrophyte species richness in shallow lakes. Freshwater Biology 50: 1049–1063. , , , , .
- 2001. The closest living relatives of land plants. Science 294: 2351–2353. , , , .
- 2002. Chara beds acting as nutrient sinks in shallow lakes – a review. Aquatic Botany 72: 249–260. , .
- 1994. Can Chara control phosphorus cycling in Lake Luknajno (Poland). Hydrobiologia 276: 277–283. , .
- 2007. The ecological tolerance limits of British stoneworts (charophytes). PhD thesis, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK. .
- 2002. Multiple regression and inference in ecology and conservation biology: further comments on identifying important predictor variables. Biodiversity and Conservation 11: 1397–1401. .
- 2004. Hierarchical partitioning public-domain software. Biodiversity and Conservation 13: 659–660. , .
- 2001. The ecology and paleoecology of the charophyte Lamprothamnium papulosum in U.K. coastal lagoons. PhD thesis, University College London, London, UK. .
- 2000. Chorophyll fluorescence – a practical guide. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 659–668. , .
- 2004. Charophyte algae and land plant origins. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19: 661–666. , , .
- 1986. Charophytes of Great Britain and Ireland. London, UK: Botanical Society of the British Isles. .
- 2008. The Water Framework Directive: total environment or political compromise? Science of the Total Environment 400: 32–41. .
- 2005. Consequences of reduced nutrient loading on a lake system in a lowland catchment: deviations from the norm? Freshwater Biology 50: 1687–1705. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The recovery of a very shallow eutrophic lake, 20 years after the control of effluent derived phosphorus. Freshwater Biology 50: 1628–1638. , , , , .
- 2004. A critical analysis of the causes of boron toxicity in plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1405–1414. , , , , .
- 2005. Prospects for monitoring freshwater ecosystems towards the 2010 targets. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 360: 397–413. , , , , .
- 2007. Chara hispida beds as a sink of nitrogen: evidence from growth, nitrogen uptake and decomposition. Aquatic Botany 87: 7–14. , , , .
- 1994. Restoration of Botshol (the Netherlands) by reduction of external nutrient load – recovery of a characean community, dominated by Chara connivens. Hydrobiologia 275: 243–253. , , , , .
- 1992. Red Data books of Britain and Ireland: stoneworts. Peterborough, UK: Joint Nature Conservation Committee. , .
- UKTAG. 2008. UK technical group on the water framework directive: UK environmental conditions and standards (phase 1). Final report. Bristol, UK: Environment Agency. URL http://www.wfduk.org/UK_Environmental_Standards/LibraryPublicDocs/UKTAG%20ReportAug%202006UKEnvironmentalStandardsandConditionsFinalReport [accessed on 3 November 2010].
- 2003. Nitrogen uptake and translocation by Chara. Aquatic Botany 76: 245–258. , , , .