These authors contributed equally to this work.
SOS3 mediates lateral root development under low salt stress through regulation of auxin redistribution and maxima in Arabidopsis
Article first published online: 18 NOV 2010
© 2010 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2010 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Carbon cycling in tropical ecosystems’
Volume 189, Issue 4, pages 1122–1134, March 2011
How to Cite
Zhao, Y., Wang, T., Zhang, W. and Li, X. (2011), SOS3 mediates lateral root development under low salt stress through regulation of auxin redistribution and maxima in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 189: 1122–1134. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03545.x
- Issue published online: 3 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 18 NOV 2010
- Received: 28 March 2010, Accepted: 10 October 2010
- 2001. Effect of salt and osmotic stresses on germination in durum wheat (Triticum durum Desf.). Plant and Soil 231: 243–254. , , .
- 1999. Salt tolerance conferred by overexpression of a vacuolar Na+/H+ antiport in Arabidopsis. Science 285: 1256–1258. , , , .
- 2003. Local, efflux-dependent auxin gradients as a common module for plant organ formation. Cell 115: 591–602. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The case for morphogens in plants. Nature Cell Biology 5: 939–943. , .
- 2002. Shoot-derived auxin is essential for early lateral root emergence in Arabidopsis seedlings. Plant Journal 29: 325–332. , , , , , .
- 1995. Superroot, a recessive mutation in Arabidopsis, confers auxin overproduction. The Plant Cell 7: 1405–1419. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Auxin transport promotes Arabidopsis lateral root initiation. The Plant Cell 13: 843–852. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. A pathway for lateral root formation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genes & Development 9: 2131–2142. , , .
- 2005. Understanding and improving salt tolerance in plants. Crop Science 45: 437–448. , , .
- 2003. An abscisic acid-sensitive checkpoint in lateral root development of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 33: 543–555. , , , , , .
- 2007. Auxin-dependent regulation of lateral root positioning in the basal meristem of Arabidopsis. Development 134: 681–690. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Lateral root initiation or the birth of a new meristem. Plant Molecular Biology 60: 871–887. , , , .
- 2005. Osmotic regulation of root system architecture. Plant Journal 43: 17–28. , .
- 2010. Auxin regulates distal stem cell differentiation in Arabidopsis roots. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 12046–12051. , .
- 2008. Cell identity mediates the response of Arabidopsis roots to abiotic stress. Science 320: 942–945. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Mechanical induction of lateral root initiation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 18818–18823. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Auxin acts as a local morphogenetic trigger to specify lateral root founder cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 8790–8794. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Auxin transport – shaping the plant. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 7–12. .
- 2003. Efflux-dependent auxin gradients establish the apical-basal axis of Arabidopsis. Nature 426: 147–153. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Auxin-mediated lateral root formation in higher plants. International Review of Cytology – A Survey of Cell Biology 256: 111–137. , , .
- 2002. Lateral root formation is blocked by a gain-of-function mutation in the SOLITARY-ROOT/IAA14 gene of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 29: 153–168. , , , .
- 2002. Effects of salt stress on growth, inorganic ions and proline accumulation in relation to osmotic adjustment in five sugar beet cultivars. Environmental and Experimental Botany 47: 39–50. , , .
- 2004. Ecophysiology of plant growth under heavy metal stress. In: PrasadMNV, ed. Heavy metal stress in plants: from biomolecules to ecosystems. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 253. .
- 2000. The Arabidopsis SOS2 protein kinase physically interacts with and is activated by the calcium-binding protein SOS3. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 3735–3740. , , .
- 2000. The dawn of plant salt tolerance genetics. Trends in Plant Science 5: 317–319. , , .
- 2008. Ethylene-auxin interactions regulate lateral root initiation and emergence in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 55: 335–347. , , .
- 2003. Comparative impacts of heavy metals on root growth as related to their specificity and selectivity. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 50: 398–406. , , .
- 2007. Differential effects of sucrose and auxin on localized phosphate deficiency-induced modulation of different traits of root system architecture in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 144: 232–247. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Formation of lateral root meristems is a two-stage process. Development 121: 3303–3310. , , , .
- 1998. The NaCl induced inhibition of shoot growth: the case for disturbed nutrition with special consideration of calcium. Advances in Botanical Research 29: 113–189. , .
- 2007. GA signaling and CO/FT regulatory module mediate salt-induced late flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Growth Regulation 53: 195–206. , , , , , .
- 2000. The Arabidopsis thaliana SOS2 gene encodes a protein kinase that is required for salt tolerance. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 3730–3734. , , , , .
- 1998. A calcium sensor homolog required for plant salt tolerance. Science 280: 1943–1945. , .
- 2005. Sites and regulation of auxin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis roots. The Plant Cell 17: 1090–1104. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Root system architecture in Arabidopsis grown in culture is regulated by sucrose uptake in the aerial tissues. The Plant Cell 20: 2643–2660. , , , .
- 2005. Intrinsic and environmental response pathways that regulate root system architecture. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 67–77. .
- 1997. Organization and cell differentiation in lateral roots of Arabidopsis thaliana. Development 124: 33–44. , .
- 2001. Environmental regulation of lateral root initiation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 127: 899–909. , .
- 2002. AUX1 promotes lateral root formation by facilitating indole-3-acetic acid distribution between sink and source tissues in the Arabidopsis seedling. The Plant Cell 14: 589–597. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Osmotic adjustment, water relations and gas exchange in pepper plants grown under NaCl or KCl. Environmental and Experimental Botany 52: 161–174. , , .
- 1993. Physiological processes limiting plant growth in saline soils: some dogmas and hypotheses. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 15–24. .
- 2008. CO2 regulator SLAC1 and its homologues are essential for anion homeostasis in plant cells. Nature 452: 483–486. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Salinity resistance and plant growth revisited. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1193–1198. .
- 2007. Hidden branches: developments in root system architecture. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 93–113. , , .
- 2009a. Arabidopsis lateral root development: an emerging story. Trends in Plant Science 14: 399–408. , , , , , , , .
- 2009b. Lateral root emergence: a difficult birth. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 3637–3643. , , .
- 2008. Phosphate availability alters lateral root development in Arabidopsis by modulating auxin sensitivity via a mechanism involving the TIR1 auxin receptor. The Plant Cell 20: 3258–3272. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of vacuolar Na+/H+ exchange in Arabidopsis thaliana by the salt-overly-sensitive (SOS) pathway. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 207–215. , , , , , .
- 2002. Reconstitution in yeast of the Arabidopsis SOS signaling pathway for Na+ homeostasis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 9061–9066. , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of phyllotaxis by polar auxin transport. Nature 426: 255–260. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. A central role for the nitrate transporter NRT2. 1 in the integrated morphological and physiological responses of the root system to nitrogen limitation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 140: 909–921. , , , , , , .
- 1917. Soil conditions and plant growth. London, New York: Longmans, Green & Co. .
- 2007. Conserved factors regulate signalling in Arabidopsis thaliana shoot and root stem cell organizers. Nature 446: 811–814. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Overexpression of a plasma membrane Na+/H+ antiporter gene improves salt tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature Biotechnology 21: 81–85. , , , .
- 2010. Developmental stage specificity and the role of mitochondrial metabolism in the response of Arabidopsis leaves to prolonged mild osmotic stress. Plant Physiology 152: 226–244. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Coordinated polar localization of auxin efflux carrier PIN1 by GNOM ARF GEF. Science 286: 316–318. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. A Link between ethylene and auxin uncovered by the characterization of two root-specific ethylene-insensitive mutants in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 17: 2230–2242. , , , .
- 2008. Salt modulates gravity signaling pathway to regulate growth direction of primary roots in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 146: 178–188. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Auxin transport: the fountain of life in plants? Developmental Cell 5: 824–826. , .
- 1996. Effect of salinity on seed germination, growth, and ion accumulation of Atriplex patula (Chenopodiaceae). American Journal of Botany 83: 604–607. .
- 2005. Rapid decline in nitrate uptake and respiration with age in fine lateral roots of grape: implications for root efficiency and competitive effectiveness. New Phytologist 165: 493–501. , , , .
- 2004. Analysis of toxic and osmotic effects of sodium chloride on leaf growth and economic yield of sugarcane. Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica 45: 133–141. .
- 2009. Auxin redistribution modulates plastic development of root system architecture under salt stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Plant Physiology 166: 1637–1645. , , .
- 2008. Salt-induced plasticity of root hair development is caused by ion disequilibrium in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Plant Research 121: 87–96. , , , , , .
- 2007. Mutations in Arabidopsis multidrug resistance-like ABC transporters separate the roles of acropetal and basipetal auxin transport in lateral root development. The Plant Cell 19: 1826–1837. , , .
- 2005. Dissection of Arabidopsis ADP-RIBOSYLATION FACTOR 1 function in epidermal cell polarity. The Plant Cell 17: 525–536. , .
- 2008. Overexpression of SOS (Salt Overly Sensitive) genes increases salt tolerance in transgenic Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant 2: 22–31. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Transgenic salt-tolerant tomato plants accumulate salt in foliage but not in fruit. Nature Biotechnology 19: 765–768. , .
- 2000. Genetic analysis of plant salt tolerance using Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 124: 941–948. .
- 2002. Salt and drought stress signal transduction in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 247–273. .
- 2003. Regulation of ion homeostasis under salt stress. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 441–445. .
- 1998. Genetic analysis of salt tolerance in Arabidopsis: evidence for a critical role of potassium nutrition. The Plant Cell 10: 1181–1192. , , .
- 2006. Over-expression of OsAGAP, an ARF-GAP, interferes with auxin influx, vesicle trafficking and root development. Plant Journal 48: 581–591. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Mild salinity stimulates a stress-induced morphogenic response in Arabidopsis thaliana roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 211–224. , , .