Kin recognition, not competitive interactions, predicts root allocation in young Cakile edentula seedling pairs
Article first published online: 30 NOV 2010
© 2010 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2010 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Carbon cycling in tropical ecosystems’
Volume 189, Issue 4, pages 1135–1142, March 2011
How to Cite
Bhatt, M. V., Khandelwal, A. and Dudley, S. A. (2011), Kin recognition, not competitive interactions, predicts root allocation in young Cakile edentula seedling pairs. New Phytologist, 189: 1135–1142. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03548.x
- Issue published online: 3 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 30 NOV 2010
- Received: 24 August 2010, Accepted: 12 October 2010
- 1990. Far-red radiation reflected from adjacent leaves: an early signal of competition in plant canopies. Science 247: 329–332. , , .
- 2010. Root exudates mediate kin recognition in plants. Communicative and Integrative Biology 3: 1–8. , , , .
- 2010. Plant neighbor identity influences plant biochemistry and physiology related to defense. BMC Plant Biology 10: 115. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Maternal determinants of seed dispersal in Cakile edentula: fruit, plant, and site traits. Ecology 79: 2771–2788. .
- 2003. The influence of neighbor relatedness on multilevel selection in the Great Lakes sea rocket. American Naturalist 162: 77–92. .
- 2007. Kin recognition in an annual plant. Biology Letters 3: 435–438. , .
- 2003. Self/non-self discrimination in roots. Journal of Ecology 91: 525–531. , , , .
- 2004. Physiologically mediated self/non-self discrimination in roots. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 3863–3867. , .
- 1964. The genetical evolution of social behavior, I & II. Journal of Theoretical Biology 7: 1–52. .
- 2003. Root cooperation in a clonal plant: connected strawberries segregate roots. Oecologia 134: 72–77. , .
- 2009. Self-recognition affects plant communication and defense. Ecology Letters 12: 502–506. , .
- 1982. Population ecology on an environmental gradient: Cakile edentula on a sand dune. Oecologia 52: 348–355. .
- 2008. Kin recognition in plants? Biology Letters 4: 67–68. .
- 2008. Root competition influences pollen competitive ability in Viola tricolor: effects of presence of a competitor beyond resource availability? Journal of Ecology 96: 756–765. .
- 1991. Root communication among desert shrubs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 874–876. , .
- 1992. Root communication mechanisms amd intracommunity distributions of two Mojave Desert shrubs. Ecology 73: 2145–2151. , .
- 1996. Effects of regional origin and genotype in intraspecific root communication in the desert shrub Ambrosia dumosa (Asteraceae). American Journal of Botany 83: 93–98. , .
- 2002. Intra-plant versus inter-plant root competition in beans: avoidance, resource matching or tragedy of the commons. Plant Ecology 160: 235–247. , , .
- 2010. Competitive ability not kinship affects growth of Arabidopsis thaliana accessions. New Phytologist 185: 322–331. , , , , , .
- 2009. Growing with siblings: a common ground for cooperation or for fiercer competition among plants? Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 276: 2531–2540. , , , .
- 2009. Kin recognition: competition and cooperation in Impatiens (Balsaminaceae). American Journal of Botany 96: 1990–1996. , .
- 1981. Dispersal and floating ability of dimorphic fruit segments of Cakile edentula var lacustris. Canadian Journal of Botany 59: 2595–2602. , .
- 1974. Systematics and evolution of the genus Cakile (Cruciferae). Contributions of the Gray Herbarium, Harvard University 205: 3–146. .
- 1998. Mechanisms determining the degree of size asymmetry in competition among plants. Oecologia 113: 447–455. , .
- 2007. Effects of physical connection and genetic identity of neighbouring ramets on root-placement patterns in two clonal species. New Phytologist 176: 644–654. , , .
- 1981. Sib competition can favor sex in two ways. Journal of Theoretical Biology 88: 755–756. .
- 1993. Seed dimorphism in relation to germination and growth of Cakile edentula. Canadian Journal of Botany 71: 1231–1235. .
- 1994. Early seedling development in relation to seed mass and morph in Cakile edentula. Canadian Journal of Botany 72: 402–406. .
- 1996. Seed mass effects across environments in an annual dune plant. Annals of Botany 77: 555–563. .