Ethylene signalling is involved in regulation of phosphate starvation-induced gene expression and production of acid phosphatases and anthocyanin in Arabidopsis
Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2010
© 2010 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2010 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Carbon cycling in tropical ecosystems’
Volume 189, Issue 4, pages 1084–1095, March 2011
How to Cite
Lei, M., Zhu, C., Liu, Y., Karthikeyan, A. S., Bressan, R. A., Raghothama, K. G. and Liu, D. (2011), Ethylene signalling is involved in regulation of phosphate starvation-induced gene expression and production of acid phosphatases and anthocyanin in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 189: 1084–1095. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03555.x
- Issue online: 3 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 30 NOV 2010
- Received: 12 July 2010, Accepted: 10 October 2010
- 2002. Phosphate sensing in higher plants. Physiologia Plantarum 115: 1–8. , , .
- 1994. The Arabidopsis ribonuclease gene rns1 is tightly controlled in response to phosphate limitation. Plant Journal 6: 673–685. , , , , , .
- 2006. Molecular mechanisms of ethylene signaling in Arabidopsis. Molecular BioSystems 2: 165–173. , .
- 2001. An Arabidopsis mutant tolerant to lethal ultraviolet-b levels shows constitutively elevated accumulation of flavonoids and other phenolics. Plant Physiology 126: 1105–1115. , .
- 2009. EIN2, the central regulator of ethylene signalling, is localized at the ER membrane where it interacts with the ethylene receptor ETR1. Biochemical Journal 424: 1–6. , , , .
- 2002. Quantitative gus activity assays. In: WeigelD, GlazebrookJ, eds. Arabidopsis: a laboratory manual. New York, NY, USA: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 249–251. .
- 2000. Ethylene: a gaseous signal molecule in plants. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 16: 1–18. , .
- 1999. Ethylene: a regulator of root architectural responses to soil phosphorus availability. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 425–431. , , , .
- 1999. The down-regulation of mt4-like genes by phosphate fertilization occurs systemically and involves phosphate translocation to the shoots. Plant Physiology 119: 241–248. , .
- 2007. Modulation of ethylene responses affects plant salt-stress responses. Plant Physiology 143: 707–719. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Activation of the ethylene gas response pathway in Arabidopsis by the nuclear protein ethylene-insensitive3 and related proteins. Cell 89: 1133–1144. , , , , , .
- 1998. Association of the Arabidopsis CTR1 raf-like kinase with the ETR1 and ERS ethylene receptors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 5401–5406. , , , .
- 2009. Phosphate starvation responses and gibberellic acid biosynthesis are regulated by the myb62 transcription factor in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant 2: 43–58. , , , .
- 2008. Phosphate starvation signalling: a threesome controls systemic Pi homeostasis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 536–540. .
- 1994. The role of acid-phosphatases in plant phosphorus-metabolism. Physiologia Plantarum 90: 791–800. , , .
- 2005. Interaction between phosphate-starvation, sugar, and cytokinin signaling in Arabidopsis and the roles of cytokinin receptors CRE1/AHK4 and AHK3. Plant Physiology 138: 847–857. , , , .
- 2002. Mutations at CRE1 impair cytokinin-induced repression of phosphate starvation responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 32: 353–360. , , , , , .
- 2005. A miRNA involved in phosphate-starvation response in Arabidopsis. Current Biology 15: 2038–2043. , , , , .
- 2003. Localization of the raf-like kinase CTR1 to the endoplasmic reticulum of Arabidopsis through participation in ethylene receptor signaling complexes. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 34725–34732. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The genetics and biochemistry of floral pigments. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 761–780. .
- 2004. The ethylene signaling pathway: new insights. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 40–49. , .
- 1992. Enhanced sensitivity to ethylene in nitrogen- or phosphate-starved roots of Zea mays L. during aerenchyma formation. Plant Physiology 98: 137–142. , , .
- 1995. Genetics and biochemistry of anthocyanin biosynthesis. Plant Cell 7: 1071–1083. , .
- 1998. Ethylene responses are negatively regulated by a receptor gene family in Arabidopsis thaliana. Cell 94: 261–271. , .
- 2007. Phosphate starvation root architecture and anthocyanin accumulation responses are modulated by the gibberellin-DELLA signaling pathway in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 145: 1460–1470. , , , , .
- 2009. Ethylene mediates response and tolerance to potassium deprivation in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 607–621. , , .
- 2002. Regulated expression of Arabidopsis phosphate transporters. Plant Physiology 130: 221–233. , , , , , .
- 1993. CTR1, a negative regulator of the ethylene response pathway in Arabidopsis, encodes a member of the raf family of protein kinases. Cell 72: 427–441. , , , , .
- 2006. Identification of plant stress-responsive determinants in Arabidopsis by large-scale forward genetic screens. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 1119–1128. , , .
- 1995. Efficient isolation and mapping of Arabidopsis thaliana T-DNA insert junctions by thermal asymmetric interlaced PCR. Plant Journal 8: 457–463. , , , .
- 2010. OsSPX1 suppresses the function of OsPHR2 in the regulation of expression of OsPT2 and phosphate homeostasis in shoots of rice. Plant Journal 62: 508–517. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2−ΔΔCT method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2002. Phosphate availability alters architecture and causes changes in hormone sensitivity in the Arabidopsis root system. Plant Physiology 129: 244–256. , , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of root elongation under phosphorus stress involves changes in ethylene responsiveness. Plant Physiology 131: 1381–1390. , , , .
- 2001. Regulation of root hair density by phosphorus availability in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 459–467. , , , .
- 2000. Influence of cytokinins on the expression of phosphate starvation responsive genes in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 24: 559–567. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Phosphate transporters from the higher plant Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 10519–10523. , , .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bio assays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiologia Plantarum 15: 473–497. , .
- 2005. A role for auxin redistribution in the responses of the root system architecture to phosphate starvation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 138: 2061–2074. , , , , , , .
- 2008. MicroRNA399 is a long-distance signal for the regulation of plant phosphate homeostasis. Plant Journal 53: 731–738. , , , .
- 2008. Phosphate availability alters lateral root development in Arabidopsis by modulating auxin sensitivity via a mechanism involving the TIR1 auxin receptor. Plant Cell 20: 3258–3272. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Phosphate transport and homeostasis in Arabidopsis. In: SomervilleCR, MeyerowitzEM, eds. The Arabidopsis book. Rockville, MD, USA: American Society of Plant Biologists, 1–35. , .
- 1999. A type 5 acid phosphatase gene from Arabidopsis thaliana is induced by phosphate starvation and by some other types of phosphate mobilising/oxidative stress conditions. Plant Journal 19: 579–589. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Phosphate acquisition. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 50: 665–693. .
- 2001. Extracellular secretion of Aspergillus phytase from Arabidopsis roots enables plants to obtain phosphorus from phytate. Plant Journal 25: 641–649. , , .
- 2001. A conserved MYB transcription factor involved in phosphate starvation signaling both in vascular plants and in unicellular algae. Genes & Development 15: 2122–2133. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Phosphorus uptake by plants: from soil to cell. Plant Physiology 116: 447–453. , , .
- 2007. Nutrient sensing and signaling: NPKS. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 47–69. , .
- 2001. Different pathways are involved in phosphate and iron stress-induced alterations of root epidermal cell development. Plant Physiology 125: 2078–2084. , .
- 2004. Short on phosphate: plant surveillance and countermeasures. Trends in Plant Science 9: 548–555. , .
- 1998. An Arabidopsis mutant missing one acid phosphatase isoform. Planta 206: 544–550. , .
- 2006. Cytokinin represses phosphate-starvation response through increasing of intracellular phosphate level. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1924–1935. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Signaling components involved in plant responses to phosphate starvation. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 50: 849–859. , .
- 2001. Pho3: A phosphorus-deficient mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Planta 212: 529–534. , , .
- 2003. Ethylene and phosphorus availability have interacting yet distinct effects on root hair development. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2351–2361. , , .