These authors contributed equally to this work as first authors.
Mitogen-activated protein kinase 4 is involved in the regulation of mitotic and cytokinetic microtubule transitions in Arabidopsis thaliana
Article first published online: 14 DEC 2010
© 2010 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2010 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Carbon cycling in tropical ecosystems’
Volume 189, Issue 4, pages 1069–1083, March 2011
How to Cite
Beck, M., Komis, G., Ziemann, A., Menzel, D. and Šamaj, J. (2011), Mitogen-activated protein kinase 4 is involved in the regulation of mitotic and cytokinetic microtubule transitions in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist, 189: 1069–1083. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03565.x
- Issue published online: 3 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 14 DEC 2010
- Received: 28 May 2010, Accepted: 22 October 2010
- 2010. Arabidopsis homologs of nucleus- and phragmoplast-localized kinase 2 and 3 and mitogen-activated protein kinase 4 are essential for microtubule organization. Plant Cell 22: 755–771. , , , , .
- 1992. In situ enzyme histochemistry on plastic-embedded plant material. The development of an artefact-free 3-glucuronidase assay. Plant Journal 2: 261–266. , .
- 2000. Regulation of cell division and the cytoskeleton by mitogen-activated protein kinases in higher plants. Results and Problems in Cell Differentiation 27: 95–117. , , , .
- 1998. A cell cycle regulated MAP kinase with a possible role in cytokinesis in tobacco cells. Journal of Cell Science 111: 3091–3100. , , , , , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2005. Actin microfilament and microtubule distribution patterns in the expanding root of Arabidopsis thaliana. Canadian Journal of Botany 83: 579–590. , .
- 2006. Endocytosis of cell surface material mediates cell plate formation during plant cytokinesis. Developmental Cell 10: 137–150. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The molecular mechanism of targeted vesicle transport in cytokinesis. Cell Structure & Function 26: 567–570. .
- 2008. MEKK1, MKK1/MKK2 and MPK4 function together in a mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade to regulate innate immunity in plants. Cell Research 18: 1190–1198. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Dynamic changes and the role of the cytoskeleton during the cell cycle in higher plant cells. International Review of Cytology 214: 161–191. , .
- 1992. Mitogen-activated-protein-kinase-catalyzed phosphorylation of microtubule-associated proteins, microtubule-associated protein 2 and microtubule-associated protein 4, induces an alteration in their function. European Journal of Biochemistry 203: 43–52. , , , , , , .
- 2002. The NPK1 mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase kinase contains a functional nuclear localization signal at the binding site for the NACK1 kinesin-like protein. Plant Journal 32: 789–798. , , , .
- 2004. Hyperosmotically induced accumulation of a phosphorylated p38-like MAPK involved in protoplast volume regulation of plasmolyzed wheat root cells. FEBS Letters 27: 168–174. , , , .
- 2002. An Arabidopsis mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase kinase gene family encodes essential positive regulators of cytokinesis. Plant Cell 14: 1109–1120. , , , .
- 2007. Plant division: remembering where to build the wall. Current Biology 17: 1053–1055. , .
- 2005. Modulated targeting of GFP-AtMAP65-1 to central spindle microtubules during division. Plant Journal 43: 469–478. , , , , .
- 1998. A GFP-MAP4 reporter gene for visualizing cortical microtubule rearrangements in living epidermal cells. Plant Cell 10: 1927–1940. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The pool of map kinase associated with microtubules is small but constitutively active. Molecular Biology of the Cell 7: 893–905. , .
- 2010. Arabidopsis MPK6 is involved in cell division plane control during early root development, and localizes to the pre-prophase band, phragmoplast, trans-Golgi network and plasma membrane. Plant Journal 61: 234–248. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Two new loci, PLEIADE and HYADE, implicate organ-specific regulation of cytokinesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 130: 312–324. , , , , , .
- 2006. Two kinesins are involved in the spatial control of cytokinesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Current Biology 16: 888–894. , , .
- 2004. The plant microtubule-associated protein AtMAP65-3/PLE is essential for cytokinetic phragmoplast function. Current Biology 14: 412–417. , , , , , .
- 2009. Division plane control in plants: new players in the band. Trends in Cell Biology 19: 180–188. , , .
- 2006. A Mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase kinase mediates reactive oxygen species homeostasis in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 281: 38697–38704. , , , , .
- 2001. Expansion of the phragmoplast during plant cytokinesis: a MAPK pathway may MAP it out. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 507–512. , .
- 2002. Expansion of the cell plate in plant cytokinesis requires a kinesin-like protein/MAPKKK complex. Cell 109: 87–99. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Midbodies and phragmoplasts: analogous structures involved in cytokinesis. Trends in Cell Biology 15: 404–413. , , .
- 2008. Cortical actin filaments at the division site of mitotic plant cells: a reconsideration of the ‘actin-depleted zone’. New Phytologist 179: 334–341. .
- 1998. Identification of stathmin as a novel substrate for p38 delta. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 249: 791–796. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. MAPK target networks in Arabidopsis thaliana revealed using functional protein microarrays. Genes & Development 23: 80–92. , , , , , , .
- 2004. From signal to cell polarity: mitogen-activated protein kinases as sensors and effectors of cytoskeleton dynamicity. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 189–198. , , .
- 2002. Involvement of the mitogen-activated protein kinase SIMK in regulation of root hair tip growth. EMBO Journal 21: 3296–3306. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. MAP65: a bridge linking a MAP kinase to microtubule turnover. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 563–570. , .
- 2006. Phosphorylation of NtMAP65-1 by a MAP kinase down-regulates its activity of microtubule bundling and stimulates progression of cytokinesis of tobacco cells. Genes & Development 20: 1004–1014. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Control of the AtMAP65-1 interaction with microtubules through the cell cycle. Journal of Cell Science 119: 3227–3237. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Plant cell division: building walls in the right places. Nature Reviews of Molecular Cell Biology 2: 33–39. .
- 2002. Control of plant cytokinesis by an NPK1-mediated mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B Biological Sciences 357: 767–775. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Genetic interaction and phenotypic analysis of the Arabidopsis MAP kinase pathway mutations mekk1 and mpk4 suggests signaling pathway complexity. FEBS Letters 581: 3171–3177. , , .
- 2004. A MAP kinase cascade that controls plant cytokinesis. Journal of Biochemistry 136: 127–132. , , , .
- 2004. The AtNACK1/HINKEL and STUD/TETRASPORE/AtNACK2 genes, which encode functionally redundant kinesins, are essential for cytokinesis in Arabidopsis. Genes to Cells 9: 1199–1211. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Identification of molecular markers of embryogenesis in Arabidopsis thaliana by promoter trapping. Plant Journal 5: 895–903. , , , .
- 2008. Demarcation of the cortical division zone in dividing plant cells. Cell Biology International 32: 178–187. , .
- 2006. Cell cycle-dependent targeting of a kinesin at the plasma membrane demarcates the division site in plant cells. Current Biology 16: 308–314. , , , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis TANGLED identifies the division plane throughout mitosis and cytokinesis. Current Biology 17: 1827–1836. , , , , .
- 1981. Immunofluorescence microscopy of organized microtubule arrays in structurally stabilized meristematic plant cells. Journal of Cell Biology 89: 685–690. , , , , .
- 2008. RanGAP1 is a continuous marker of the Arabidopsis cell division plane. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 105: 18637–18642. , , , , , , .
- 2003. TETRASPORE encodes a kinesin required for male meiotic cytokinesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 34: 229–240. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Endoplasmic reticulum preprophase band in dividing root-tip cells of Pinus brutia. Planta 213: 824–827. , , , .