Evidence of a universal scaling relationship for leaf CO2 drawdown along an aridity gradient
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2010
© 2010 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2010 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 1, pages 169–180, April 2011
How to Cite
Prentice, I. C., Meng, T., Wang, H., Harrison, S. P., Ni, J. and Wang, G. (2011), Evidence of a universal scaling relationship for leaf CO2 drawdown along an aridity gradient. New Phytologist, 190: 169–180. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03579.x
- Issue published online: 25 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2010
- Received: 31 August 2010, Accepted: 5 November 2010
- 2002. 13C content of ecosystem respiration is linked to precipitation and vapor pressure deficit. Oecologia 131: 113–124. , , , , .
- 1988. A theory of gradient analysis. Advances in Ecological Research 18: 271–317. , .
- 2002. CANOCO reference manual and user’s guide to Canoco for Windows: software for canonical community ordination (version 4.53). Ithaca, NY, USA: Microcomputer power. , .
- 1977. Stomatal function in relation to leaf metabolism and environment. Society Experimental Biology Symposium 31: 471–505. , .
- 2010. Global patterns in leaf 13C discrimination and implications for studies of past and future climate. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 5738–5743. , , , , .
- 2006. SMATR: Standardised major axis tests and routines, ver 2.0 [WWW document]. URL http://www.bio.mq.edu.au/ecology/SMATR/. Last accessed: 1 August 2010. , , .
- 1983. On the nature of carbon isotope discrimination in C4 species. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 10: 205–226. .
- 1982. On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the intercellular carbon dioxide concentration in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 121–137. , , .
- 2007. The shuttle radar topography mission. Reviews of Geophysics 45: RG2004. doi:10.1029/2005RG000183. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Bioclimatic envelope model of climate change impacts on blanket peatland distribution in Great Britain. Climate Research, doi:10.3354/cr00911. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Ecophysiological and bioclimatic foundations for a global plant functional classification. Journal of Vegetation Science 21: 300–317. , , , , , .
- 1996. A general model for the light use efficiency of primary production. Functional Ecology 10: 551–561. , .
- 2006. Spatial interpolation of large climate data sets using bivariate thin plate smoothing splines. Environmental Modelling and Software 21: 1684–1694. , .
- 2010. A stomatal optimization theory to describe the effects of atmospheric CO2 on leaf photosynthesis and transpiration. Annals of Botany 105: 431–442. , , , .
- 2007. Plant functional types: are we getting any closer to the Holy Grail? In: CanadellJG, PatakiD, PitelkaL, eds. Terrestrial ecosystems in a changing world. The IGBP Series. Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 149–160. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. δ13C variation of C3 and C4 plants across an Asian monsoon rainfall gradient in arid northwestern China. Global Change Biology 11: 1094–1100. , , , , , .
- 1994. 13C discrimination during CO2 assimilation by the terrestrial biosphere. Oecologia 99: 201–215. , .
- 1984. Conifers and broadleaf species: stomatal sensitivity differs in western Oregon. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 14: 905–908. , .
- 2004. Photosynthetic and gas exchange characteristics of dominant woody plants on a moisture gradient in an African savanna. Global Change Biology 10: 309–317. , , , .
- 2001. Carbon isotope discrimination by a sequence of Eucalyptus species along a subcontinental rainfall gradient in Australia. Functional Ecology 15: 222–232. , , .
- 1995. Accomodation by transpiring vegetation and the convective boundary layer. Journal of Hydrology 166: 251–263. .
- 2005. Temporal variability in 13C of respired CO2 in a pine and a hardwood forest subject to similar climatic conditions. Oecologia 142: 57–69. , , , , , .
- 1991. Stomatal responses to humidity in air and helox. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 509–515. , .
- 2004. Northeast China Transect (NECT): ten-year synthesis and future challenges. Acta Botanica Sinica 46: 379–391. , .
- 2000. Climate variability, ecological gradient and the Northeast China Transect (NECT). Journal of Arid Environments 46: 313–325. , .
- 2001. Global-scale climatic controls of leaf dry mass per area, density, and thickness in trees and shrubs. Ecology 82: 453–469. .
- 1999. Structural adaptation rather than water conservation was observed in Scots pine over a range of wet to dry climates. Oecologia 121: 302–309. , , , , , .
- 2010. Control of transpiration by radiation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 13372–13377. , , .
- 1993. A simulation model for the transient effects of climate change on forest landscapes. Ecological Modelling 65: 51–70. , , .
- 2006. Soil water characteristic estimates by texture and organic matter for hydrologic solutions. Journal of the Soil Science Society of America 70: 1569–1578. , .
- 1996. Rooting depth, water availability, and vegetation cover along an aridity gradient in Patagonia. Oecologia 108: 503–511. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Leaf and wood carbon isotope ratios, specific leaf areas and wood growth of Eucalyptus species across a rainfall gradient in Australia. Tree Physiology 26: 479–492. , , , .
- 1998. Carbon and nitrogen isotope discrimination and nitrogen nutrition of trees along a rainfall gradient in northern Australia. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 413–425. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Soil database of 1:1,000,000 digital soil survey and reference system of the Chinese genetic soil classification system. Soil Survey Horizons 45: 129–136. , , , , , , .
- 1995. 13C natural abundance in plant communities along a rainfall gradient: a biological integrator of water availability. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 22: 51–55. , , , .
- 2005. Responses of plant functional types to an environmental gradient on the Northeast China Transect. Ecological Research 20: 563–572. , .
- 2008. Carbon isotope discrimination of C3 vegetation in Central Asian grassland as related to long-term and short-term precipitation patterns. Biogeosciences 5: 913–924. , , , , , .
- 2003. Least-cost input mixtures of water and nitrogen for photosynthesis. American Naturalist 161: 98–111. , , .