Dark-leaved willow (Salix myrsinifolia) is resistant to three-factor (elevated CO2, temperature and UV-B-radiation) climate change
Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2010
© 2010 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2010 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 1, pages 161–168, April 2011
How to Cite
Paajanen, R., Julkunen-Tiitto, R., Nybakken, L., Petrelius, M., Tegelberg, R., Pusenius, J., Rousi, M. and Kellomäki, S. (2011), Dark-leaved willow (Salix myrsinifolia) is resistant to three-factor (elevated CO2, temperature and UV-B-radiation) climate change. New Phytologist, 190: 161–168. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03583.x
- Issue online: 25 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2010
- Received: 21 September 2010, Accepted: 4 November 2010
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. Journal of the Royal Statistics Society B 57: 289–300. , .
- 2001. An Arabidoposis mutant tolerant to lethal ultraviolet-B levels shows constitutively elevated accmulation of flavonoids and other phenolics. Plant Physiology 126: 1105–1115. , .
- 1993. Simulation of daylight ultraviolet radiation and effects of ozone depletion. In: YoungAR, BjörnLO, MoanJ, NultschW, eds. Environmental UV photobiology. New York, NY, USA: Plenum Press, 41–71. , .
- 2003. Terrestrial ecosystems, increased solar ultraviolet radiation and interactions with other climatic change factors. Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences 2: 29–38. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Effects of increased solar ultraviolet radiation on terrestrial ecosystems. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B 46: 40–52. , , , , , , .
- 1983. A modulated lamp system for solar UVB (280–320 nm). Supplementation studies in the field. Photochemistry and Photobiology 37: 479–485. , , , .
- 1990. The response of bean plants to UV-B radiation under different irradiances of background visible light. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 1489–1495. , .
- 1993. Relating UV-B radiation screening effectiveness of foliage to absorbing-compound concentration and anatomical characteristics in a diverse group of plants. Oecologia 95: 542–550. .
- 1995. Is increased UV-B a threat to crop photosynthesis and productivity? Photosynthesis Research 43: 81–92. , .
- 1995. Acid butanol assay for proantocyanidins. In: HagermanAE, ed. Tannin analysis. Oxford, OH, USA: Department of Chemistry, Miami University, 24–25. .
- 2005. The effect of genotype and cultivation method on the total salicylate yield of dark-leaved willows (Salix myrsinifolia). Planta Medica 71: 1134–1139. , , , , , .
- 2000. Responses of nine Trifolium repens L. populations to ultraviolet-B radiation: differential flavonol glycoside accumulation and biomass production. Annals of Botany 86: 527–537. , , , , , , , .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Summary for policymakers. Geneva: WMO 508 and UNEF.
- 1992. Variation in growth and secondary phenolics among field-cultivated clones of Salix myrsinifolia. Planta Medica 58: 77–80. , .
- 1996. Chemical diversity of several Betulaceae species: comparison of phenolics and terpenoids in northern birch stems. Trees 11: 16–22. , , , , , .
- 2001. Testing the effects of drying methods on willow flavonoids, tannins, and salicylates. Journal of Chemical Ecology 27: 779–789. , .
- 1993. Increased CO2 and nutrient status changes affect phytomass and the production of plant defensive secondary chemicals in Salix myrsinifolia (Salisb.). Oecologia 95: 495–498. , , .
- 2003. Effect of ultraviolet-B radiation on cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) morphology and anatomy. Annals of Botany 91: 817–826. , , , .
- 2001. Growth and resource use of birch seedlings under elevated carbon dioxide and temperature. Annals of Botany 87: 669–682. , .
- 2000. Controlled environment chambers for investigating tree response to elevated CO2 and temperature under boreal conditions. Photosynthetica 38: 69–81. , , .
- 2005. Phenolic compounds in seedlings of Betula pubescens and B. pendula are affected by enhanced UVB radiation and different nitrogen regimens during early ontogeny. Global Change Biology 11: 1180–1194. , , .
- 1995. Phenolic glucosides as feeding cues for willow-feeding leaf beetles. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 74: 235–243. , , , .
- 2007. Effect of carbon dioxide, temperature and ultraviolet-B radiation and their interactions on soybean (Glycine max L.) growth and development. Environmental and Experimental Botany 60: 1–10. , , , , .
- 2005. Interactive effects of carbon dioxide, temperature, and ultraviolet-B radiation on soybean (Glycine max L.) flower and pollen morphology, pollen production, germination, and tube lengths. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 725–736. , , , , .
- 1997. The effect of UV-B radiation on UV-absorbing secondary metabolites in birch seedlings grown under simulated forest soil conditions. New Phytologist 137: 617–621. , , , , .
- 1997. Effects of solar ultraviolet-B radiation, temperature and CO2 on growth and physiology of sunflower and maize seedlings. Plant Ecology 128: 225–234. , .
- 1992. Willows: the genus Salix. London, UK: BT Batsford Ltd. .
- 2004. Evaluating ecosystem responses to rising atmospheric CO2 and global warming in a multi-factor world. New Phytologist 162: 281–293. , .
- 2009. Salicylate and biomass yield, and leaf phenolics of dark-leaved willow (Salix myrsinifolia Salisb.) clones under different cultivation methods after the second cultivation cycle. Industrial Crops Production 29: 261–268. , , , , .
- 2005. Growth and physiological responses of canola (Brassica napus) to UV-B and CO2 under controlled environment conditions. Physiologia Plantarum 125: 247–259. , .
- 2001. Differences in host use efficiency of larvae of a generalist moth, Operophtera brumata on three chemically divergent Salix species. Journal of Chemical Ecology 27: 1595–1615. , , .
- 2004. Biochemical and ultrastructural changes in leaves of potato plants grown under suplementary UV-B radiation. Plant Science 167: 925–935. , , , .
- 2001. A meta-analysis of plant field studies simulating straspheric ozone depletion. Oecologia 127: 1–10. , , .
- 2005. Possible impacts of changes in UV-B radiation on North American trees and forest. Environmental Pollution 137: 380–389. .
- 1992. The effects of ultraviolet-B radiation on loblolly pine. 2. Growth of field-grown seedlings. Trees 6: 115–120. , .
- 2000. The impact of greenhouse gases and halogenated species on the future solar UV radiation doses. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 1127–1130. , , .
- 2001. Quantitative changes in secondary metabolites of dark-leaved willow (Salix myrsinifolia) exposed to enhanced ultraviolet-B radiation. Physiologia Plantarum 113: 541–547. , .
- 2001. The effects of long-term elevated UV-B on the growth and phenolics of field-grown silver birch (Betula pendula). Global Change Biology 7: 839–848. , , .
- 2008. Exposures to elevated CO2, elevated temperature and enhanced UV-B radiation modify activities of polyphenol oxidase and guaiacol peroxidase and concentrations of chlorophylls, polyamines and soluble proteins in the leaves of Betula pendula seedlings. Environmental and Experimental Botany 62: 308–315. , , , , , .
- 2003. Clonal differences in growth and phenolics of willows exposed to elevated ultraviolet-B radiation. Basic and Applied Ecology 4: 219–228. , , , .
- 1998. Temperature and ontogeny mediate growth response to elevated CO2 in seedlings of five boreal tree species. New Phytologist 140: 197–210. , , .
- 2005. Clone-specific responses in leaf phenolics of willows exposed to enhanced UVB radiation and drought stress. Global Change Biology 11: 1655–1663. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Genotypic variation in drought response of willows grown under ambient and enhanced UVB radiation. Environmental and Experimental Botany 56: 80–86. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Effects of elevated CO2 and temperature on plant growth and herbivore defensive chemistry. Global Change Biology 8: 1240–1252. , , , , .