High sensitivity of Lobelia dortmanna to sediment oxygen depletion following organic enrichment
Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2010
© 2010 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2010 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Plant anaerobiosis
Volume 190, Issue 2, pages 320–331, April 2011
How to Cite
Møller, C. L. and Sand-Jensen, K. (2011), High sensitivity of Lobelia dortmanna to sediment oxygen depletion following organic enrichment. New Phytologist, 190: 320–331. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03584.x
- Issue online: 28 MAR 2011
- Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2010
- Received: 7 October 2010, Accepted: 5 November 2010
- 2003. Oxygen distribution and movement, respiration and nutrient loading in banana roots (Musa spp. L.) subjected to aerated and oxygen-depleted environments. Plant and Soil 253: 91–102. , , , , .
- 1976. Ignition method for determination of total phosphorus in lake sediments. Water Research 10: 329–331. .
- 2000. Oxygen distribution in wetland plant roots and permeability barriers to gas-exchange with the rhizosphere: a microelectrode and modelling study with Phragmites australis. Annals of Botany 86: 687–703. , , , , .
- 1998. Precipitated iron and manganese plaques restrict root uptake of phosphorus in Lobelia dortmanna. Canadian Journal of Botany-Revue Canadienne de Botanique 76: 2158–2163. , .
- 1994. Microsensor analysis of oxygen in the rhizosphere of the aquatic macrophyte Littorella uniflora (L.) Ascherson. Plant Physiology 105: 847–852. , , .
- 1986. Gut evacuation rates and ingestion rates of Eudiaptomus-graciloides measured by means of the gut fluorescence method. Journal of Plankton Research 8: 973–983. , .
- 1987. Yield-derived and photosynthesis-derived critical concentrations of tissue phosphorus and their significance for growth of eurasian water milfoil, Myriophyllum spicatum L. Aquatic Botany 29: 111–122. , , , , .
- 2003. Long-distance transport of gases in plants: a perspective on internal aeration and radial oxygen loss from roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 17–36. .
- 2008. Flooding tolerance in halophytes. New Phytologist 179: 964–974. , .
- 2007. Tissue nutrient concentrations in freshwater aquatic macrophytes: high inter-taxon differences and low phenotypic response to nutrient supply. Freshwater Biology 52: 2073–2086. , .
- 2003. Phloem metabolism and function have to cope with low internal oxygen. Plant Physiology 131: 1529–1543. , , , .
- 1986. The growth strategies and distribution of isoetids in Scottish freshwater lochs. Aquatic Botany 26: 247–258. , .
- 1995. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. Washington, DC, USA: American Public Health Association. , , .
- 1966. Tissue analysis as a measure of nutrient availability for growth of angiosperm aquatic plants. Limnology and Oceanography 11: 529–537. , .
- 2008. Sediment Fe : PO4 ratio as a diagnostic and prognostic tool for the restoration of macrophyte biodiversity in fen waters. Freshwater Biology 53: 2101–2116. , , , , .
- 2003. Mechanisms of anoxia tolerance in plants. I. Growth, survival and anaerobic catabolism. Functional Plant Biology 30: 1–47. , .
- 2003. Mechanisms of anoxia tolerance in plants. II. Energy requirements for maintenance and energy distribution to essential processes. Functional Plant Biology 30: 999–1036. , .
- 1975. A treatise on limnology. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons Inc. .
- 2009. Alkalinity generation and sediment CO2 uptake influence establishment of Sparganium angustifolium in softwater lakes. Freshwater Biology 54: 2300–2314. , , , , .
- 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plant. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. .
- 1978. Seasonal-changes in biomass, tissue chemistry, and net production of evergreen hydrophyte, Lobelia dortmanna. Canadian Journal of Botany 56: 1425–1433. .
- 2008. Iron plaques improve the oxygen supply to root meristems of the freshwater plant, Lobelia dortmanna. New Phytologist 179: 848–856. , .
- 1991. Land plants of amphibious Littorella uniflora (L) Aschers maintain utilization of CO2 from the sediment. Oecologia 88: 258–262. , , .
- 1989. Regulation of photosynthetic rates of submerged rooted macrophytes. Oecologia 81: 364–368. , .
- 1991. Variation in growth-rates of submerged rooted macrophytes. Aquatic Botany 39: 109–120. , .
- 1992. Adaptations of submerged Lobelia dortmanna to aerial life form – morphology, carbon sources and oxygen dynamics. Oikos 65: 89–96. , .
- 1995. Diel pulses of O2 and CO2 in sandy lake-sediments inhabited by Lobelia dortmanna. Ecology 76: 1536–1545. , , .
- 2010. Influence of sediment organic enrichment and water alkalinity on growth of aquatic isoetid and elodeid plants. Freshwater Biology 55: 1891–1904. , , .
- 1972. The carbon dioxide system in freshwater. A set of tables for easy computation of total carbon dioxide and other components of the carbon dioxide system. Copenhagen, Denmark: Freshwater Biological Laboratory, University of Copenhagen. .
- 1991. Interactions among phytoplankton, periphyton, and macrophytes in temperate freshwaters and estuaries. Aquatic Botany 41: 137–175. , .
- 2005a. Oxygen stress and reduced growth of Lobelia dortmanna in sandy lake sediments subject to organic enrichment. Freshwater Biology 50: 1034–1048. , , .
- 2005b. Contrasting oxygen dynamics in the freshwater isoetid Lobelia dortmanna and the marine seagrass Zostera marina. Annals of Botany 96: 613–623. , , , .
- 1982. Oxygen exchange with the lacunae and across leaves and roots of the submerged vascular macrophyte, Lobelia dortmanna L. New Phytologist 91: 103–120. , .
- 2000. Macrophyte decline in Danish lakes and streams over the past 100 years. Journal of Ecology 88: 1030–1040. , , , .
- 1979. Distribution and quantitative development of aquatic macrophytes in relation to sediment characteristics in oligotrophic Lake Kalgaard, Denmark. Freshwater Biology 9: 1–11. , .
- 1978. Growth and production of isoetids in oligotrophic Lake Kalgaard, Denmark. Verhandlungen Internationale Vereinigung der Theoretiche Limnologie 20: 659–666. , .
- 1967. The biology of aquatic vascular plants. London, UK: Edward Arnold. .
- 1990. Root aerenchyma, oxygen leakage patterns and alcoholic fermentation ability of the roots of some nymphaeid and isoetid macrophytes in relation to the sediment type of their habitat. Aquatic Botany 38: 3–17. , , , .
- 1996. The effects of ammonium on growth, accumulation of free amino acids and nutritional status of young phosphorus deficient Stratiotes aloides plants. Aquatic Botany 53: 85–96. , , , .
- 2002. The isoetid environment: biogeochemistry and threats. Aquatic Botany 73: 325–350. , , .
- 1969. Determination of ammonia in natural waters by phenolhypochlorite method. Limnology and Oceanography 14: 799–801. .
- 1968. A practical handbook of seawater analysis. Ottawa, ON, Canada: Fishery Research Board of Canada. , .
- 1987. Survival, metabolism and growth of Ulva lactuca under winter conditions – a laboratory study of bottlenecks in the life-cycle. Marine Biology 95: 55–61. , .
- 1998. Endomycorrhizae of isoetids along a biogeochemical gradient. Limnology and Oceanography 43: 508–515. , , , , .
- 2009. Use of sediment CO2 by submersed rooted plants. Annals of Botany 103: 1015–1023. , .