Comparative analysis between plant species of transcriptional and metabolic responses to hypoxia
Article first published online: 18 JAN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Plant anaerobiosis
Volume 190, Issue 2, pages 472–487, April 2011
How to Cite
Narsai, R., Rocha, M., Geigenberger, P., Whelan, J. and van Dongen, J. T. (2011), Comparative analysis between plant species of transcriptional and metabolic responses to hypoxia. New Phytologist, 190: 472–487. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03589.x
- Issue published online: 28 MAR 2011
- Article first published online: 18 JAN 2011
- Received: 20 October 2010, Accepted: 11 November 2010
- 2009. Record rates of pressurized gas-flow in the great horsetail, Equisetum telmateia. Were Carboniferous Calamites similarly aerated? New Phytologist 184: 202–215. , .
- 2002. Root growth and metabolism under oxygen deficiency. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant roots: the hidden half, 3rd edn. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 729–761. , .
- 1994. Microelectrode and modelling study of oxygen distribution in roots. Annals of Botany (London) 74: 287–299. , , , .
- 2009. Measuring and interpreting respiratory critical oxygen pressures in roots. Annals of Botany (London) 103: 281–293. , , , .
- 2008. Flooding stress: acclimations and genetic diversity. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 313–339. , .
- 2001. A Bayesian framework for the analysis of microarray expression data: regularized t-test and statistical inferences of gene changes. Bioinformatics 17: 509–519. , .
- 2010. The heat-inducible transcription factor HsfA2 enhances anoxia tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 152: 1471–1483. , , , , .
- 2008. Nitrite–nitric oxide control of mitochondrial respiration at the frontier of anoxia. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1777: 1268–1275. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A bypass of sucrose synthase leads to low internal oxygen and impaired metabolic performance in growing potato tubers. Plant Physiology 132: 2058–2072. , , , , .
- 2009. The oxygen status of the developing seed. New Phytologist 182: 17–30. , .
- 2008. Selective mRNA translation coordinates energetic and metabolic adjustments to cellular oxygen deprivation and reoxygenation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 56: 743–755. , , , , .
- 1998. Structure/function of oxygen-regulated isoforms in cytochrome c oxidase. Journal of Experimental Biology 201: 1163–1175. , .
- 1994. Ammonium assimilation and the role of [gamma]-aminobutyric acid in pH homeostasis in carrot cell suspensions. Plant Physiology 106: 513–520. , , , , , .
- 2010a. Global gene expression responses to waterlogging in roots and leaves of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Plant Cell Physiology 51: 21–37. , , , .
- 2010b. Comparisons of early transcriptome responses to low-oxygen environments in three dicotyledonous plant species. Plant Signalling and Behaviour 30: 1006–1009. , , , .
- 2009. Flooding tolerance: suites of plant traits in variable environments. Functional Plant Biology 36: 665–681. , .
- 1994. The synthesis of [gamma]-aminobutyric acid in response to treatments reducing cytosolic pH. Plant Physiology 104: 865–871. , , , .
- 2009. Transcript and metabolite profiling of the adaptive response to mild decreases in oxygen concentration in the roots of arabidopsis plants. Annals of Botany (London) 103: 269–280. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Phloem metabolism and function have to cope with low internal oxygen. Plant Physiology 131: 1529–1543. , , , .
- 1971. Intact tissue assay for nitrite reductase in barley aleurone layers. Plant Physiology 47: 790–794. , .
- 2006. A variable cluster of ethylene response factor-like genes regulates metabolic and developmental acclimation responses to submergence in rice. Plant Cell 18: 2021–2034. , , , .
- 2007. Plant hemoglobins: what we know six decades after their discovery. Gene 398: 78–85. , , .
- 2003. Response of plant metabolism to too little oxygen. Current Opinions in Plant Biology 6: 247–256. .
- 2000. Metabolic activity decreases as an adaptive response to low internal oxygen in growing potato tubers. Biological Chemistry 381: 723–740. , , , , .
- 2002. Sensitive and high throughput metabolite assays for inorganic pyrophosphate, ADPGlc, nucleotide phosphates, and glycolytic intermediates based on a novel enzymic cycling system. Plant Journal 30: 221–235. , , , , .
- 2001. Carbohydrate–ethanol transition in cereal grains under anoxia. New Phytologist 151: 607–612. , , , .
- 2010. Production and scavenging of nitric oxide by barley root mitochondria. Plant Cell Physiology 51: 576–584. , .
- 2009. Regulation of respiration when the oxygen availability changes. Physiologia Plantarum 137: 383–391. , , .
- 2009. The ethylene response factors SNORKEL1 and SNORKEL2 allow rice to adapt to deep water. Nature 460: 1026–1030. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Arabidopsis RAP2.2: an ethylene response transcription factor that is important for hypoxia survival. Plant Physiology 153: 757–772. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Nitric oxide induces transcriptional activation of the nitric oxide-tolerant alternative oxidase in Arabidopsis suspension cells. Planta 215: 914–923. , , .
- 2010. Anoxic nitric oxide cycling in plants: participating reactions and possible mechanisms. Physiologia Plantarum 138: 393–404. , , , .
- 2009. Plant mitochondrial function during anaerobiosis. Annals of Botany (London) 103: 259–268. , .
- 2005. MAFFT version 5: improvement in accuracy of multiple sequence alignment. Nucleic Acids Research 33: 511–518. , , , .
- 2009. Differential response of gray poplar leaves and roots underpins stress adaptation during hypoxia. Plant Physiology 149: 461–473. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Coordinated responses to oxygen and sugar deficiency allow rice seedlings to tolerate flooding. Science Signalling 2: ra61. , , , , , .
- 2001. Supply of O2 regulates demand for O2 and uptake of malate by N2-fixing bacteroids from soybean nodules. Microbiology 147: 663–670. , , , , .
- 2010. HRE1 and HRE2, two hypoxia-inducible ethylene response factors, affect anaerobic responses in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 62: 302–315. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Hypoxia responsive gene expression is mediated by various subsets of transcription factors and miRNAs that are determined by the actual oxygen availability. New Phytologist 190: 442–456. , , , , , .
- 2009. The metabolome of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii following induction of anaerobic H2 production by sulfur depletion. Journal Biological Chemistry 284: 23415–23425. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Cross-kingdom comparison of transcriptomic adjustments to low-oxygen stress highlights conserved and plant-specific responses. Plant Physiology 152: 1484–1500. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Profiling translatomes of discrete cell populations resolves altered cellular priorities during hypoxia in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 18843–18848. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Stunt or elongate? Two opposite strategies by which rice adapts to floods. Journal Plant Research 123: 303–309. , , .
- 2009. Defining core metabolic and transcriptomic responses to oxygen availability in rice embryos and young seedlings. Plant Physiology 151: 306–322. , , , , , .
- 2010. Insights from the comparison of plant genome sequences. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61: 49–372. , , , .
- 2007. Submergence tolerance in rice requires Sub1A, an ethylene-response-factor-like gene. Trends in Plant Science 12: 43–46. , .
- 2005. New perspectives in flooding research: the use of shade avoidance and Arabidopsis thaliana. Annals of Botany 96: 533–540. , , , .
- 2001. Automatic clustering of orthologs and in-paralogs from pairwise species comparisons. Journal of Molecular Biology 314: 1041–1052. , , .
- 2010a. Glycolysis and the tricarboxylic acid cycle are linked by alanine aminotransferase during hypoxia induced by waterlogging of Lotus japonicus. Plant Physiology 152: 1501–1513. , , , , , , .
- 2010b. Analysis of alanine aminotransferase in various organs of soybean (Glycine max) and in dependence of different nitrogen fertilisers during hypoxic stress. Amino Acids 39: 1043–1053. , , , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of nitric oxide (NO) production by plant nitrate reductase in vivo and in vitro. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 103–110. , , , , .
- 2007. Oxygen-dependent regulation of mitochondrial respiration by hypoxia-inducible factor 1. Biochemical Journal 405: 1–9. .
- 2009. Correlations between oxygen affinity and sequence classifications of plant hemoglobins. Biopolymers 91: 1083–1096. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Anoxia tolerance in the aquatic monocot Potamogeton pectinatus absence of oxygen stimulates elongation in association with an unusually large pasteur effect. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1413–1422. , , .
- 2010. Not just a circle: flux modes in the plant TCA cycle. Trends in Plant Science 15: 462–470. , , , , .
- 2004. MAPMAN: a user-driven tool to display genomics data sets onto diagrams of metabolic pathways and other biological processes. Plant Journal 37: 914–939. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Arabidopsis NAD-malic enzyme functions as a homodimer and heterodimer and has a major impact on nocturnal metabolism. Plant Physiology 146: 1540–1552. , , , , , , .
- 2006. PageMan: an interactive ontology tool to generate, display, and annotate overview graphs for profiling experiments. BMC Bioinformatics 7: 535. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Extension of the visualization tool MapMan to allow statistical analysis of arrays, display of corresponding genes, and comparison with known responses. Plant Physiology 138: 1195–1204. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Anaerobic carbon metabolism by the tricarboxylic acid cycle: evidence for partial oxidative and reductive pathways during dark ammonium assimilation. Plant Physiology 91: 1551–1557. , , , .
- 2004. IQPNNI: moving fast through tree space and stopping in time. Molecular Biology and Evolution 21: 1565–1571. , .
- 2004. Nitric oxide: a new player in plant signalling and defence responses. Current Opinions in Plant Biology 7: 449–455. , , .
- 2001. A general empirical model of protein evolution derived from multiple protein families using a maximum-likelihood approach. Molecular Biology and Evolution 18: 691–699. , .
- 2006. Sub1A is an ethylene-response-factor-like gene that confers submergence tolerance to rice. Nature 442: 705–708. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Regulation of respiration and fermentation to control the plant internal oxygen concentration. Plant Physiology 149: 1087–1098. , , , , , , , , , .