Ethylene stimulates tracheary element differentiation in Zinnia elegans cell cultures
Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 1, pages 138–149, April 2011
How to Cite
Pesquet, E. and Tuominen, H. (2011), Ethylene stimulates tracheary element differentiation in Zinnia elegans cell cultures. New Phytologist, 190: 138–149. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03600.x
- Issue online: 25 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2011
- Received: 14 October 2010, Accepted: 15 November 2010
- 1992. Ethylene in plant biology. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. , , .
- 2009. Rootstock-mediated changes in xylem ionic and hormonal status are correlated with delayed leaf senescence, and increased leaf area and crop productivity in salinized tomato. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 928–938. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Asymmetric expression of a poplar ACC oxidase controls ethylene production during gravitational induction of tension wood. Plant Journal 34: 339–349. , , , , , .
- 1998. Expression and characterization of three tomato 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate oxidase cDNAs in yeast. European Journal of Biochemistry 253: 20–26. , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Xylem transport of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid, an ethylene precursor, in waterlogged tomato plants. Plant Physiology 65: 322–326. , .
- 2002. Subcellular localization of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid oxidase in apple fruit. Plant & Cell Physiology 43: 549–554. , , , , .
- DaviesPJ, ed. 2010. Plant hormones: biosynthesis, signal transduction, action! Dordrecht, the Netherland, Heidelberg, Germany, London, UK, New York, NY, USA: Springer.
- 1993. Molecular cloning and characterization of cDNAs associated with tracheary element differentiation in cultured Zinnia cells. Plant Physiology 103: 815–821. , .
- 2002. Visualization by comprehensive microarray analysis of gene expression programs during transdifferentiation of mesophyll cells into xylem cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 15794–15799. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Partial phenotypic reversion of ABA-deficient flacca tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) scions by a wild-type rootstock: normalizing shoot ethylene relations promotes leaf area but does not diminish whole plant transpiration rate. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 4029–4039. , , , .
- 1995. Interaction between indole-3-acetic-acid and ethylene in the control of tracheid production in detached shoots of Abies balsamea. Tree Physiology 15: 27–34. , .
- 1998. Ethylene evolution, radial growth and carbohydrate concentrations in Abies balsamea shoots ringed with Ethrel. Tree Physiology 18: 383–391. , .
- 1999. Cambial activity in ‘normal’ spruce Picea abies Karst (L.) and snake spruce Picea abies (L.) Karst f. virgata (Jacq.) Rehd in response to ethylene. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1489–1493. , .
- 1995. Export of abscisic acid, 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid, phosphate, and nitrate from roots to shoots of flooded tomato plants (accounting for effects of xylem sap flow rate on concentration and delivery). Plant Physiology 107: 377–384. , , , , .
- 1998. Transport of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid (ACC) in the transpiration stream of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) in relation to foliar ethylene production and petiole epinasty. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 453–458. , .
- 1995. Increased 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid oxidase activity in shoots of flooded tomato plants raises ethylene production to physiologically active levels. Plant Physiology 109: 1435–1440. , , , .
- 1997. Tracheary element differentiation. The Plant Cell 9: 1147–1156. .
- 1980. Establishment of an experimental system for the study of tracheary element differentiation from single cells isolated from the mesophyll of Zinnia elegans. Plant Physiology 65: 57–60. , .
- 2005. Nitric oxide production by the differentiating xylem of Zinnia elegans. New Phytologist 165: 121–130. , , , .
- 1993. Determination of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid (ACC) in leaf tissue and xylem sap using capillary column gas-chromatography and a nitrogen phosphorus detector. Plant Growth Regulation 13: 225–230. , , .
- 2006. Dodeca-CLE peptides as suppressors of plant stem cell differentiation. Science 313: 842–845. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Effect of auxin transport inhibitors and ethylene on the wood anatomy of poplar. Plant Biology 6: 22–29. , , , .
- 2009. Recent advances in ethylene research. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 3311–3336. , , .
- 1999. Ethylene in relation to compression wood formation in Abies balsamea shoots. Trees-Structure and Function 13: 173–177. , .
- 1995. Hormonal control of radial and longitudinal growth in the tree stem. In: GartnerBL, ed. Plant stems: physiology and functional morphology. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 281–319. , .
- 1979. Simple and sensitive assay for 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid. Analytical Biochemistry 100: 140–145. , .
- 2009. Ethylene is an endogenous stimulator of cell division in the cambial meristem of Populus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 5984–5989. , , , , , .
- 1999. The endogenous sulfated pentapeptide phytosulfokine-alpha stimulates tracheary element differentiation of isolated mesophyll cells of Zinnia. Plant Physiology 120: 1043–1048. , , , , .
- 2004. A proteoglycan mediates inductive interaction during plant vascular development. Nature 429: 873–878. , , .
- 2007. Ethylene modulates stem cell division in the Arabidopsis thaliana root. Science 317: 507–510. , , , .
- 1992. Localization of the ethylene-forming enzyme from tomatoes, 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate oxidase, in transgenic yeast. Journal of Plant Physiology 140: 681–686. , , , , .
- 2004. Multiple gene detection by in situ RT-PCR in isolated plant cells and tissues. Plant Journal 39: 947–959. , , , , .
- 2003. Zinnia elegans: the missing link from in vitro tracheary elements to xylem. Physiologia Plantarum 119: 463–468. , , , , , .
- 2005. Novel markers of xylogenesis in Zinnia are differentially regulated by auxin and cytokinin. Plant Physiology 139: 1821–1839. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Compression wood-responsive proteins in developing xylem of maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait.). Plant Physiology 123: 959–969. , , , , .
- 1998. 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate oxidase of apple fruit is periplasmic. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1909–1915. , , , , .
- 1994. Subcellular localization of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate oxidase in tomato cells. Planta 195: 142–146. , , .
- 1994. Immunocytolocalization of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid oxidase in tomato and apple fruit. Planta 192: 453–460. , , , , , .
- 2006. Transitions in the functioning of the shoot apical meristem in birch (Betula pendula) involve ethylene. Plant Journal 46: 628–640. , , , , , .
- 2009. Ethylene signaling and response: where different regulatory modules meet. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 548–555. , .
- 2008. TAA1-mediated auxin biosynthesis is essential for hormone crosstalk and plant development. Cell 133: 177–191. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Involvement of gibberellin in tracheary element differentiation and lignification in Zinnia elegans xylogenic culture. Protoplasma 228: 179–187. , , .
- 2004. Unique and overlapping expression patterns among the Arabidopsis 1-amino-cyclopropane-1-carboxylate synthase gene family members. Plant Physiology 136: 2982–3000. , .
- 2009. A combinatorial interplay among the 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate isoforms regulates ethylene biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 183: 979–1003. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Tracheary element differentiation. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 407–433. , , .
- 1999. 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate oxidase activity limits ethylene biosynthesis in Rumex palustris during submergence. Plant Physiology 121: 189–195. , , , .
- 2005. Ethylene and flower longevity in Alstroemeria: relationship between tepal senescence, abscission and ethylene biosynthesis. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 1007–1016. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Effects of flooding, tilting of stems, and ethrel application on growth, stem anatomy and ethylene production of Pinus densiflora seedlings. Journal of Experimental Botany 38: 293–310. , .
- 1997. Brassinosteroids induce entry into the final stage of tracheary element differentiation in cultured Zinnia cells. Plant and Cell Physiology 38: 980–983. , , .
- 1994. Expression of an auxin-regulated and cytokinin-regulated gene in cambial region in Zinnia. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 91: 6539–6543. , .