Plasticity and evolution in drought avoidance and escape in the annual plant Brassica rapa
Article first published online: 6 JAN 2011
© 2011 The Author. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 1, pages 249–257, April 2011
How to Cite
Franks, S. J. (2011), Plasticity and evolution in drought avoidance and escape in the annual plant Brassica rapa. New Phytologist, 190: 249–257. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03603.x
- Issue published online: 25 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 6 JAN 2011
- Received: 12 August 2010, Accepted: 22 November 2010
- 2008. Natural selection on and predicted responses of ecophysiological traits of swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata). Journal of Ecology 96: 536–542. , , .
- 2001. Pattern and process: evidence for the evolution of photosynthetic traits in natural populations. Oecologia 127: 455–467. , .
- 1965. Characteristics and modes of origin of weeds. In: BakerHG, StebbinsGL, eds. The genetics of colonizing species. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 147–169. .
- 2006. Global genetic change tracks global climate warming in Drosophila subobscura. Science 313: 1773–1775. , , , , .
- 1979. Physiological ecology of plant succession. Annual Reviews in Ecology and Systematics 10: 351–371. .
- 1992. Evolutionary adaptation to temperature. I. Fitness responses of Escherichia coli to changes in its thermal environment. Evolution 46: 16–30. , , .
- 2004. Keeping pace with fast climate change: can Arctic life count on evolution? Integrative and Comparative Biology 44: 140–151. , , , .
- 1995. Adaptations to environmental stresses. Plant Cell 7: 1099–1111. , , .
- 2008. Genetic response to rapid climate change: it’s seasonal timing that matters. Molecular Ecology 17: 157–166. , .
- 1997. Plant responses to water deficit. Trends in Plant Science 2: 48–54. .
- 2005. Ecophysiology of first and second generation hybrids in a natural plant hybrid zone. Oecologia 144: 214–225. , , .
- 2006. Plasticity of inflorescence traits in Lobelia siphilitica (Lobeliaceae) in response to soil water availability. American Journal of Botany 93: 531–538. .
- 2004. A primer of ecological genetics. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer. , .
- 1992. Contrasting water-use patterns among size and life-history classes of a semi-arid shrub. Functional Ecology 6: 482–488. , .
- 1994. Carbon isotope discrimination, water-use efficiency, growth and mortality in a natural shrub population. Oecologia 100: 347–354. , .
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 502–537. , , .
- 1990. Drought and the evolution of flowering time in desert annuals. American Journal of Botany 77: 1508–1518. .
- 2006. A steep cline in flowering time for Brassica rapa in southern California, I: population-level variation in the field and the greenhouse. International Journal of Plant Sciences 167: 83–92. , , , , , , .
- 2008. The resurrection initiative: storing ancestral genotypes to capture evolution in action. BioScience 58: 870–873. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Rapid evolution of flowering time by annual plant in response to a climate fluctuation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 1278–1282. , , .
- 2008. A change in climate causes rapid evolution of multiple life-history traits and their interactions in an annual plant. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21: 1321–1334. , .
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Functional Ecology 21: 394–407. , , , .
- 2006. The ecology of plants, 2nd edn. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer. , , .
- 2002. Population differentiation and natural selection for water-use efficiency in Impatiens capensis (Balsaminaceae). International Journal of Plant Science 163: 907–912. , , , .
- 2005. Mechanisms of selection for drought stress tolerance and avoidance in Impatiens capensis (Balsaminaceae). American Journal of Botany 92: 37–44. , .
- 2004. Population differentiation and plastic responses to drought stress in the generalist annual Polygonum persicaria. International Journal of Plant Science 165: 817–824. , , , .
- 1986. Correlation between water-use efficiency and carbon isotope discrimination in diverse peanut (Arachis) germplasm. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 13: 803–816. , , .
- IPCC. 2007. In: SolomonS, QinD, ManningM, ChenZ, MarquisM, AverytKB, TignorM, MillerHL, eds. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK & New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecology Letters 7: 1225–1241. , .
- 1996. SAS system for mixed models. Cary, NC, USA: The SAS Institute. , , , .
- 1989. Strategies of response to water stress. In: KreebKH, RichterH, MinckleyTM, eds. Structural and functional responses to environmental stress. The Hague, the Netherlands: SPB Academic, 269–281. .
- 2004. Selection on leaf ecophysiological traits in a desert hybrid Helianthus species and early-generation hybrids. Evolution 58: 2682–2692. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Phenotypic plasticity in vegetative and reproductive traits in an invasive weed Lythrum salicaria (Lythraceae), in response to soil moisture. American Journal of Botany 92: 819–825. , .
- 2003. Genetics of drought adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana: I. Pleiotropy contributes to genetic correlations among ecological traits. Molecular Ecology 12: 1137–1151. , , .
- 2007. Climate, paleoclimate and paleovegetation. In: BarbourM, Keeler-WolfT, SchoenherrAA, eds. Terrestrial vegetation of California, 3rd edn. Berkeley, CA, USA: University of California Press, 43–70. .
- 2009. Spatial and seasonal patterns in climate change, temperatures, and precipitation across the United States. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 7324–7329. , , .
- 1998. Phenotypic evolution a reaction norm perspective. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer. , .
- 1986. Carbon dioxide and water vapor exchange in response to drought in the atmosphere and in the soil. Annual Reviews in Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 37: 247–274. .
- 2006. The adaptive significance of drought escape in Avena barbata, an annual grass. Evolution 60: 2478–2489. , .
- 1952. Aridity as a stimulus to plant evolution. American Naturalist 86: 33–44. .
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity for fitness components in Polygonum species of contrasting ecological breadth. Ecology 82: 328–343. .
- 2006. Plant physiology, 4th edn. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer. , .
- 2001. Ecological and evolutionary processes at expanding range margins. Nature 411: 577–581. , , , , , , .
- 2005. A rapid shift in a classic clinal pattern in Drosophila reflecting climate change. Science 308: 691–693. , , , .
- 1995. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity: consensus and controversy. Trends in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology 10: 212–217. , , , , , .
- 2010. Natural variation for drought-response traits in the Mimulus guttatus species complex. Oecologia 162: 23–33. , , , .