The Arabidopsis ABCG13 transporter is required for flower cuticle secretion and patterning of the petal epidermis
Article first published online: 14 JAN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 1, pages 113–124, April 2011
How to Cite
Panikashvili, D., Shi, J. X., Schreiber, L. and Aharoni, A. (2011), The Arabidopsis ABCG13 transporter is required for flower cuticle secretion and patterning of the petal epidermis. New Phytologist, 190: 113–124. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03608.x
- Issue published online: 25 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 14 JAN 2011
- Received: 20 October 2010, Accepted: 23 November 2010
- 2004. The SHINE clade of AP2 domain transcription factors activates wax biosynthesis, alters cuticle properties, and confers drought tolerance when overexpressed in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 2463–2480. , , , , , .
- 2006. Endogenous and synthetic microRNAs stimulate simultaneous, efficient, and localized regulation of multiple targets in diverse species. Plant Cell 18: 1134–1151. , , , , , .
- 2007. Characterization of Arabidopsis ABCG11/WBC11, an ATP binding cassette (ABC) transporter that is required for cuticular lipid secretion. Plant Journal 52: 485–498. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Analysis of the aliphatic monomer composition of polyesters associated with Arabidopsis epidermis: occurrence of octadeca-cis-6, cis-9-diene-1,18-dioate as the major component. Plant Journal 40: 920–930. , , , .
- 2003. Cloning and characterization of the WAX2 gene of Arabidopsis involved in cuticle membrane and wax production. Plant Cell 15: 1170–1185. , , , , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2003. A gateway cloning vector set for high-throughput functional analysis of genes in planta. Plant Physiology 133: 462–469. , .
- 1988. The brown protein of Drosophila melanogaster is similar to the white protein and to components of active-transport complexes. Molecular and Cellular Biology 8: 5206–5215. , , .
- 2009. My favourite flowering image. Journal of Experimental Botany, doi:10.1093/jxb/erp049. .
- 2009. Chemical reactions in 2D: self-assembly and self-esterification of 9(10),16-dihydroxypalmitic acid on mica surface. Langmuir 25: 6869–6874. , , , , .
- 2010. Defective in cuticular ridges of Arabidopsis thaliana, a gene associated with surface cutin formation, encodes a soluble diacylglycerol acyltransferase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 285: 38337–38347. , , , , .
- 2007. The transcription factor WIN1/SHN1 regulates Cutin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 19: 1278–1294. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. GATEWAY™ vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 193–195. , , .
- 2001. Polyesters in higher plants. Advance in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology 71: 1–49. .
- 2003. Isolation and characterization of the Arabidopsis organ fusion gene HOTHEAD. Plant Journal 35: 501–511. , , , , .
- 2003. The YORE-YORE gene regulates multiple aspects of epidermal cell differentiation in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 36: 55–66. , , , , , .
- 2006a. The epidermis-specific extracellular BODYGUARD controls cuticle development and morphogenesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 18: 321–339. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006b. Genetic and biochemical evidence for involvement of HOTHEAD in the biosynthesis of long-chain alpha-,omega-dicarboxylic fatty acids and formation of extracellular matrix. Planta 224: 315–329. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Nanoridges that characterize the surface morphology of flowers require the synthesis of cutin polyester. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 22008–22013. , , , , , .
- 1997. Developmental regulation of cell interactions in the Arabidopsis fiddlehead-1 mutant: a role for the epidermal cell wall and cuticle. Development Biology 189: 311–321. , , , , , .
- 1993. Promiscuous germination and growth of wildtype pollen from Arabidopsis and related species on the shoot of the Arabidopsis mutant, fiddlehead. Development Biology 155: 250–258. , .
- 1992. Fiddlehead: an Arabidopsis mutant constitutively expressing an organ fusion program that involves interactions between epidermal cells. Development Biology 152: 383–392. , , .
- 1998. Genetic analysis of organ fusion in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 149: 607–619. , , .
- 2007. An ABC transporter gene of Arabidopsis thaliana, AtWBC11, is involved in cuticle development and prevention of organ fusion. Plant and Cell Physiology 48: 1790–1802. , , , , .
- 2010. Arabidopsis ABCG transporters, which are required for export of diverse cuticular lipids, dimerize in different combinations. Plant Cell 22: 3066–3075. , , , .
- 2008. ABC-type transporters and cuticle assembly: linking function to polarity in epidermis cells. Plant Signaling & Behavior 3: 806–809. , .
- 2007. The Arabidopsis DESPERADO/AtWBC11 transporter is required for cutin and wax secretion. Plant Physiology 145: 1345–1360. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The Arabidopsis DSO/ABCG11 transporter affects cutin metabolism in reproductive organs and suberin in roots. Molecular Plant 3: 563–575. , , , , , .
- 2009. The Arabidopsis DCR encoding a soluble BAHD acyltransferase is required for cutin polyester formation and seed hydration properties. Plant Physiology 151: 1773–1789. , , , .
- 2004. Plant cuticular lipid export requires an ABC transporter. Science 306: 702–704. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. FIDDLEHEAD, a gene required to suppress epidermal cell interactions in Arabidopsis, encodes a putative lipid biosynthetic enzyme. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 1311–1316. , , , , .
- 2001. The Arabidopsis thaliana ABC protein superfamily, a complete inventory. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276: 30231–30244. , , , .
- 2007. Cytological and biochemical analysis of COF1, an Arabidopsis mutant of an ABC transporter gene. Plant and Cell Physiology 48: 1524–1533. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. pBINPLUS – an improved plant transformation vector based on pBIN19. Transgenic Research 4: 288–290. , , , , , .
- 1975. Postgenital carpel fusion in Catharanthus roseus III. fine structure of the epidermis during and after fusion. Protoplasma 86: 43–63. .
- 2009. Floral iridescence, produced by diffractive optics, acts as a cue for animal pollinators. Science 323: 130–133. , , , , , .
- 2009. Gene expression map of the Arabidopsis shoot apical meristem stem cell niche. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 4941–4946. , , , , .
- 2010. A distinct type of glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase with sn-2 preference and phosphatase activity producing 2-monoacylglycerol. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 12040–12045. , , , , , .
- 1999. Characterization of the FIDDLEHEAD gene of Arabidopsis reveals a link between adhesion response and cell differentiation in the epidermis. Plant Cell 11: 2187–2201. , , , , , .
- 2005. Disruptions of the Arabidopsis Enoyl-CoA reductase gene reveal an essential role for very-long-chain fatty acid synthesis in cell expansion during plant morphogenesis. Plant Cell 17: 1467–1481. , , .
- 2004. GENEVESTIGATOR. Arabidopsis microarray database and analysis toolbox. Plant Physiology 136: 2621–2632. , , , .