Drought alters carbon fluxes in alpine snowbed ecosystems through contrasting impacts on graminoids and forbs
Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 3, pages 740–749, May 2011
How to Cite
Johnson, D., Vachon, J., Britton, A. J. and Helliwell, R. C. (2011), Drought alters carbon fluxes in alpine snowbed ecosystems through contrasting impacts on graminoids and forbs. New Phytologist, 190: 740–749. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03613.x
- Issue online: 18 APR 2011
- Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2011
- Received: 8 October 2010, Accepted: 23 November 2010
- 2006. The freezer defrosting: global warming and litter decomposition rates in cold biomes. Journal of Ecology 94: 713–724. .
- 2007. Rapid turnover of DOC in temperate forests accounts for increased CO2 production at elevated temperatures. Ecology Letters 10: 783–790. , .
- 2008. A climatic threshold triggers the die-off of peat mosses during an extreme heat wave. Global Change Biology 14: 2688–2695. .
- 2008. Plant functional traits and soil carbon sequestration in contrasting biomes. Ecology Letters 11: 516–531. , , .
- 2010. Plant species richness regulates soil respiration through changes in productivity. Oecologia 163: 805–813. , , .
- 2009. Effect of manipulated rainfall on root production and plant belowground dry mass of different grassland ecosystems. Ecosystems 12: 906–914. , , .
- 2007. Stability of organic carbon in deep soil layers controlled by fresh carbon supply. Nature 450: 277–281. , , , , , .
- 2004a. Export of dissolved organic carbon from peatlands under elevated carbon dioxide levels. Nature 430: 195–198. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Microbial activity and enzymic decomposition processes following peatland water table drawdown. Plant and Soil 180: 121–127. , , , , , .
- 2004b. A regulatory role for phenol oxidase during decomposition in peatlands. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 36: 1663–1667. , , , .
- 2001. Arbuscular mycorrhizal colonization increases with host density in a heathland community. New Phytologist 152: 355–363. , , .
- 1938. The rooting systems of heath plants. Journal of Ecology 26: 331–352. , , .
- 2005. Peatland hydrology and carbon release: why small-scale process matters. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences 363: 2891–2913. .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change 2007. In: Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, eds. The physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment. Report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge, UK and New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press, 996.
- 2009. The influence of summer seasonal extremes on dissolved organic carbon export from a boreal peatland catchment: evidence from one dry and one wet growing season. Science of the Total Environment 407: 1373–1382. , , .
- 2003. Effects of experimental drought on microbial processes in two temperate heathlands at contrasting water conditions. Applied Soil Ecology 24: 165–176. , , , .
- 2002a. In situ13CO2 pulse-labelling of upland grassland demonstrates a rapid pathway of carbon flux from arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelium to the soil. New Phytologist 153: 327–334. , , , , .
- 2002b. Transfer of recent photosynthate into mycorrhizal mycelium of an upland grassland: short-term respiratory losses and accumulation of 14C. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 34: 1521–1524. , , .
- 2004. Plant and mycorrhizal regulation of rhizodeposition. New Phytologist 163: 459–480. , , .
- 1991. Water-quality issues in the British uplands. Applied Geography 11: 201–214. .
- 2010. Nitrogen deposition, vegetation burning and climate warming act independently on microbial community structure and enzyme activity associated with decomposing litter in low-alpine heath. Global Change Biology 16: 3120–3132. , , , .
- 1973. Biology of mycorrhiza in Ericaceae 2. Transport of carbon and phosphorus by endophyte and mycorrhiza. New Phytologist 72: 1325–1331. , .
- 2003. The determination of delta C-13 in soil microbial biomass using fumigation-extraction. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 35: 947–954. , , , , , , .
- 1976. Vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhiza in natural vegetation systems. New Phytologist 77: 641–653. , , .
- 2000. Global warming and terrestrial ecosystems: a conceptual framework for analysis. BioScience 50: 871–882. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1974. Biology of mycorrhiza in Ericaceae. III. Movement of carbon-14 from host to fungus. New Phytologist 73: 731–741. , .
- 1992. Biodiversity in montane Britain: habitat variation, vegetation diversity and some objectives for conservation. Biodiversity and Conservation 1: 179–208. , .
- 2005. Rapid responses of high-mountain vegetation to early Holocene environmental changes in the Swiss Alps. Journal of Ecology 93: 936–947. , .
- 2008. Summer drought effects upon soil and litter extracellular phenol oxidase activity and soluble carbon release in an upland Calluna heathland. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 40: 1519–1532. , , , , , , .
- UK Review Group on Acid Rain. 1997. Acid deposition in the United Kingdom: 1992–1994, 4th Report. AEA Technology & Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions, London, UK.
- 2009. A multimodel assessment of future climatological droughts in the United Kingdom. International Journal of Climatology 29: 2056–2071. , .
- 2009. Low impact of climate change on subalpine grasslands in the Swiss Northern Alps. Global Change Biology 15: 209–220. , , , , .
- 2004. Ecological linkages between aboveground and belowground biota. Science 304: 1629–1633. , , , , , .
- 2009. Differential allocation of carbon in mosses and grasses governs ecosystem sequestration: a 13C tracer study in the high Arctic. New Phytologist 184: 944–949. , , , .