Modelling photo-modulated internode elongation in growing glasshouse cucumber canopies
Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 3, pages 697–708, May 2011
How to Cite
Kahlen, K. and Stützel, H. (2011), Modelling photo-modulated internode elongation in growing glasshouse cucumber canopies. New Phytologist, 190: 697–708. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03617.x
- Issue online: 18 APR 2011
- Version of Record online: 19 JAN 2011
- Received: 30 August 2010, Accepted: 30 November 2010
- 2005. Using L-systems for modeling source-sink interactions, architecture; and physiology of growing trees: the L-PEACH model. New Phytologist 166: 869–880. , , .
- 1999. Plant–plant signaling, the shade-avoidance response and competition. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1629–1634. , , .
- 2009. Illuminated behavior: phytochrome as a key regulator of light foraging and plant anti-herbivore defence. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 713–725. .
- 1991a. Responses of light-grown wild-type and long-hypocotyl mutant cucumber seedlings to natural and simulated shade light. Photochemistry and Photobiology 54: 819–826. , , .
- 1987. Early detection of neighbor plants by phytochrome perception of spectral changes in reflected sunlight. Plant, Cell & Environment 10: 551–557. , , , , .
- 1989. Photomodulation of axis extension in sparse canopies. Plant Physiology 89: 1324–1330. , , .
- 1990. Far-red radiation reflected from adjacent leaves: an early signal of competition in plant canopies. Science 247: 329–332. , , .
- 1991b. Photocontrol of stem elongation in plant neighbourhoods: effects of photon fluence rate under natural conditions of radiation. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 57–65. , , .
- 2005. Search for a better cucumber system. Fruit and Veg Tech 5.2: 10–11. .
- 2008. A rule-based model of barley morphogenesis, with special respect to shading and gibberellic acid signal transduction. Annals of Botany 101: 1109–1123. , , , , .
- 2005. Barley morphology, genetics and hormonal regulation of internode elongation modelled by a relational growth grammar. New Phytologist 166: 859–867. , , .
- 2007. Simulation of the three-dimensional distribution of the red:far-red ratio within crop canopies. New Phytologist 176: 223–234. , , , , , .
- 2006. Quantitative contributions of blue light and PAR to the photocontrol of plant morphogenesis in Trifolium repens (L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 2379–2390. , , .
- CIE 110. 1994. Spatial distribution of day light – luminance distributions of various reference skies. Vienna, Austria: CIE publication 110, Commission Internationale de L’Eclairage.
- 2009. QuasiMC user’s manual. Calgary, AB, Canada: University of Calgary. .
- 2008. Quasi-Monte Carlo simulation of the light environment of plants. Functional Plant Biology 35: 837–849. , , , .
- 2006. A dynamic analysis of the shade-induced plasticity in Arabidopsis thaliana rosette leaf development reveals new components of the shade-adaptive response. Annals of Botany 97: 443–452. , .
- 2008. Effects of elevated CO2 on intra-specific competition in Sinapis alba: an examination of the role of growth responses to red:far-red ratio. Plant Biology 10: 202–210. , .
- 2008. Using virtual plants to analyse the light-foraging efficiency of a low-density cotton crop. Annals of Botany 101: 1153–1166. , , , .
- 2007. Simulating the effects of localized red:far-red ratio on tillering in spring wheat (Triticum aestivum) using a three-dimensional virtual plant model. New Phytologist 176: 325–336. , , , , , .
- 2007. Green light: a signal to slow down or stop. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 3099–3111. , .
- 2008. Plant growth modelling and applications: the increasing importance of plant architecture in growth models. Annals of Botany 101: 1053–1063. , , , , .
- 1999. ADEL-maize: an L-system based model for the integration of growth processes from the organ to the canopy. Application to regulation of morphogenesis by light availability. Agronomie 19: 313–327. , .
- 2005. A functional–structural model of elongation of the grass leaf and its relationships with the phyllochron. New Phytologist 166: 881–894. , , , , , .
- 2008. Shade avoidance. New Phytologist 179: 930–944. .
- 2005. Phytochromes and shade-avoidance responses in plants. Annals of Botany 96: 169–175. , .
- 2000. 3D architectural modelling of aerial photomorphogenesis in white clover (Trifolium repens L.) using L-systems. Annals of Botany 85: 359–370. , , , .
- 2009. Multi-scale phenotyping of leaf expansion in response to environmental changes: the whole is more than the sum of parts. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1175–1184. , .
- 2010. The mechanics behind plant development. New Phytologist 185: 369–385. , .
- 2008. Foreword: studying plants with functional–structural models. Functional Plant Biology 35: I–III. , .
- 1999. Effects of supplemental lighting and cover materials on growth, photosynthesis, biomass partitioning, early yield and quality of greenhouse cucumber. Scientia Horticulturae 80: 1–18. , .
- 2006. 3D architectural modelling of greenhouse cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.). Acta Horticulturae 718: 51–59. .
- 2007. Towards functional–structural modelling of greenhouse cucumber. In: Vos J, Marcelis LFM, de Visser PHB, Struik PC, Evers JB, eds. Functional–structural plant modelling in crop production. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 209–217. .
- 2007. Estimation of geometric attributes and masses of individual cucumber organs using three-dimensional digitizing and allometric relationships. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 132: 439–446. , .
- 2008. Modeling leaf phototropism in a cucumber canopy. Functional Plant Biology 35: 876–884. , , .
- 2008. LPFG user’s manual. Calgary, AB, Canada: University of Calgary. , .
- 1992. Effect of temperature on development rate and length increase of tomato, cucumber and sweet pepper. Acta Horticulturae 305: 51–55. .
- 2007. Uncoupling light quality from light irradiance effects in Helianthus annuus shoots: putative roles for plant hormones in leaf and internode growth. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2145–2157. , , , .
- 1968. Mathematical models for cellular interactions in development I. Filaments with one-sided inputs. Journal of Theoretical Biology 18: 280–299. .
- 1975. Developmental algorithms for multicellular organisms: a survey of L-systems. Journal of Theoretical Biology 54: 3–22. .
- 2008. Integrating simulation of architectural development and source-sink behaviour of peach trees by incorporating Markov chains and physiological organ function submodels into L-PEACH. Functional Plant Biology 35: 761–771. , , , , , .
- 2008. Metabolic responses to red/far-red ratio and ontogeny show poor correlation with the growth rate of sunflower stems. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 2469–2477. , , , .
- 2006. Developmental and physiological responses of tomato and cucumber to additional blue light. Acta Horticulturae 711: 291–296. , , , .
- 1980. Rapid photomodulation of stem extension in light-grown Sinapis alba L. Planta 150: 95–101. , , .
- 2001. Photocontrol of stem growth. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 436–440. , , .
- 2009. Involvement of phytochrome B in DIF mediated growth in cucumber. Scientia Horticulturae 122: 164–170. , .
- 2005. Crown architecture in sun and shade environments: assessing function and trade-offs with a three-dimensional simulation model. New Phytologist 166: 791–800. , , .
- 1998. Modeling of spatial structure and development of plants: a review. Scientia Horticulturae 74: 113–149. .
- 1999. A look at the visual modeling of plants using L-systems. Agronomie 19: 211–224. .
- 1990. The algorithmic beauty of plants. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag, 1–228. , .
- 2006. Modeling plant morphogenesis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 83–88. , .
- 2000. Assessing the geometric structure of a white clover (Trifolium repens L.) canopy using 3-D digitizing. Annals of Botany 86: 519–526. , , , .
- 1996. Virtual plants: new perspectives for ecologists, pathologists and agricultural scientists. Trends in Plant Science 1: 33–38. , , .
- 2003. The adaptive evolution of plasticity: phytochrome-mediated shade avoidance responses. Integrative and Comparative Biology 43: 459–469. , , , .
- 2002. Modelling of temperature-controlled internode elongation applied to Chrysanthemum. Annals of Botany 90: 353–359. , , , .
- 2004. Growth and morphological responses to different UV wavebands in cucumber (Cucumis sativus) and other dicotyledonous seedlings. Physiologia Plantarum 120: 240–248. , , , , , .
- 2005. Comparative photobiology of growth responses to two UV-B wavebands and UV-C in dim-red-light- and white-light-grown cucumber (Cucumis sativus) seedlings: physiological evidence for photoreactivation. Photochemistry and Photobiology 81: 1069–1074. , , .
- 2008. Analysis of maize canopy development under water stress and incorporation into the ADEL-Maize model. Functional Plant Biology 35: 925–935. , , .
- 1982. Light quality, photoperception, and plant strategy. Annual Review of Plant Biology 33: 481–518. .
- 2000. Spatial distributions of expansion rate, cell division rate and cell size in maize leaves: a synthesis of the effects of soil water status, evaporative demand and temperature. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1505–1514. , , , , .
- 1995. Sites of photoperception in white clover. Grass and Forage Science 50: 259–262. .
- 2010. The responses of light interception, photosynthesis and fruit yield of cucumber to LED-lighting within the canopy. Physiologia Plantarum 138: 289–300. , , , , .
- 2005. Reaching out of the shade. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 462–468. , , , , .
- 2007. Functional–structural plant models in crop production. In: Vos J, Marcelis LFM, de Visser PHB, Struik PC, Evers JB, eds. Functional–structural plant modelling in crop production. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 1–12. , , , , , .
- 2010. Functional–structural plant modelling: a new versatile tool in crop science. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 2101–2115. , , , , , .
- 2006. Evaluating crop models. In: Wallach D, Makowski D, Jones JW, eds. Working with dynamic crop models. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier, 11–53. .
- 1966. Studies on the expansion of the leaf surface: V. Cell division and expansion in a developing leaf as influenced by light and upper leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 17: 440–451. .
- 2002. Effect of DIF and end-of-day light quality on stem elongation in Cucumis sativus. Scientia Horticulturae 94: 219–229. , , .