Regulation of jasmonate metabolism and activation of systemic signaling in Solanum nigrum: COI1 and JAR4 play overlapping yet distinct roles
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 3, pages 640–652, May 2011
How to Cite
VanDoorn, A., Bonaventure, G., Schmidt, D. D. and Baldwin, I. T. (2011), Regulation of jasmonate metabolism and activation of systemic signaling in Solanum nigrum: COI1 and JAR4 play overlapping yet distinct roles. New Phytologist, 190: 640–652. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03622.x
- Issue published online: 18 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2011
- Received: 13 October 2010, Accepted: 7 December 2010
- 1997. Quantification, correlations and manipulations of wound-induced changes in jasmonic acid and nicotine in Nicotiana sylvestris. Planta 201: 397–404. , , , , , , .
- 1995. A chloroplast lipoxygenase is required for wound-induced jasmonic acid accumulation in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 8675–8679. , , .
- 2006. Occurrence of tetraploidy in Nicotiana attenuata plants after Agrobacterium-mediated transformation is genotype specific but independent of polysomaty of explant tissue. Plant Cell Reports 25: 668–675. , , , , .
- 2007. The JAZ family of repressors is the missing link in jasmonate signalling. Nature 448: 666–671. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Jasmonate biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana– enzymes, products, regulation. Plant Biology 8: 297–306. , , , , , .
- 2010. DONGLE and DEFECTIVE IN ANTHER DEHISCENCE1 lipases are not essential for wound- and pathogen-induced jasmonate biosynthesis: redundant lipases contribute to jasmonate formation. Plant Physiology 153: 114–127. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The jasmonate pathway: the ligand, the receptor and the core signalling module. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 539–547. , , .
- 2003. Biochemical and molecular characterization of a hydroxyjasmonate sulfotransferase from Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 17895–17900. , , , , , .
- 2010. SuperSAGE analysis of the Nicotiana attenuata transcriptome after fatty acid-amino acid elicitation (FAC): identification of early mediators of insect responses. BMC Plant Biology 10: 66. , , , , , .
- 2009. Velocity estimates for signal propagation leading to systemic jasmonic acid accumulation in wounded Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 284: 34506–34513. , , , , , .
- 2008. Spatial and temporal dynamics of jasmonate synthesis and accumulation in Arabidopsis in response to wounding. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 16400–16407. , , , , , .
- 2007. Substrate specificity and products of side-reaction catalyzed by jasmonate:amino acid synthesase (JAR1). Febs Letters 581: 815–820. , , , , .
- 2008. Optimized virus-induced gene silencing in Solanum nigrum reveals the defensive function of leucine aminopeptidase against herbivores and the shortcomings of empty vector controls. New Phytologist 179: 356–365. , , , .
- 2008. Plant immunity to insect herbivores. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 41–66. , .
- 2001. The DEFECTIVE IN ANTHER DEHISCIENCE gene encodes a novel phospholipase A1 catalyzing the initial step of jasmonic acid biosynthesis, which synchronizes pollen maturation, anther dehiscence, and flower opening in Arabidopsis. The Plant cell 13: 2191–2209. , , , , .
- 1993. Quantitative determination of serine proteinase inhibitor activity using a radial diffusion assay. Analytical Biochemistry 212: 79–84. , , .
- 2010. Nicotiana attenuata SIPK, WIPK, NPR1, and fatty acid–amino acid conjugates participate in the induction of jasmonic acid biosynthesis by affecting early enzymatic steps in the pathway. Plant Physiology 152: 96–106. , , , .
- 2006. Silencing threonine deaminase and JAR4 in Nicotiana attenuata impairs jasmonic acid-isoleucine-mediated defenses against Manduca sexta. Plant Cell 18: 3303–3320. , , , .
- 1988. Detection of potato tuber-inducing activity in potato leaves and old tubers. Plant and Cell Physiology 29: 969–974. , .
- 2009. A rapid wound signal activates the systemic synthesis of bioactive jasmonates in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal 59: 974–986. , , , .
- 1988. Synthesis of n-(jasmonoyl) amino acid conjugates. Tetrahedron 44: 5791–5807. , , , , .
- 2002. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Nicotiana attenuata, a model ecological expression system. Chemoecology 12: 177–183. , , , , .
- 2005. Role of beta-oxidation in jasmonate biosynthesis and systemic wound signaling in tomato. Plant Cell 17: 971–986. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Distinct roles for jasmonate synthesis and action in the systemic wound response of tomato. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 6416–6421. , , , .
- 2004. The tomato homolog of CORONATINE-INSENSITIVE1 is required for the maternal control of seed maturation, jasmonate-signaled defense responses, and glandular trichome development. Plant Cell 16: 126–143. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Herbivory and caterpillar regurgitants amplify the wound-induced increases in jasmonic acid but not nicotine in Nicotiana sylvestris. Planta 203: 430–435. , .
- 2006. Gene expression and glucosinolate accumulation in Arabidopsis thaliana in response to generalist and specialist herbivores of different feeding guilds and the role of defense signaling pathways. Phytochemistry 67: 2450–2462. , , , , , .
- 2008. Hydroxylated jasmonates are commonly occurring metabolites of jasmonic acid and contribute to a partial switch-off in jasmonate signaling. New Phytologist 177: 114–127. , , , , .
- 2002. A knock-out mutation in allene oxide synthase results in male sterility and defective wound signal transduction in Arabidopsis due to a block in jasmonic acid biosynthesis. Plant Journal 31: 1–12. , , , , , .
- 2008. Jasmonate perception regulates jasmonate biosynthesis and JA-Ile metabolism: the case of COI1 in Nicotiana attenuata. Plant and Cell Physiology 49: 1165–1175. , , , .
- 2007. Co(i)-ordinating defenses: NaCOI1 mediates herbivore-induced resistance in Nicotiana attenuata and reveals the role of herbivore movement in avoiding defenses. Plant Journal 51: 79–91. , , .
- 2002. Relative expression software tool (REST) for group-wise comparison and statistical analysis of relative expression results in real-time PCR. Nucleic Acids Research 30: e36. , , .
- 2004. Novel chemically synthesized hydroxyl-containing jasmonates as powerful inducing signals for plant secondary metabolism. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 86: 809–816. , , , , .
- 2006a. Transcriptional responses of Solanum nigrum to methyl jasmonate and competition: a glasshouse and field study. Functional Ecology 20: 500–508. , .
- 2004. Solanum nigrum: a model ecological expression system and its tools. Molecular Ecology 13: 981–995. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Specificity in ecological interactions. Attack from the same lepidopteran herbivore results in species-specific transcriptional responses in two solanaceous host plants. Plant Physiology 138: 1763–1773. , , , , .
- 2009. Down-regulation of systemin after herbivory is associated with increased root allocation and competitive ability in Solanum nigrum. Oecologia 159: 473–482. , .
- 2006b. Systemin in Solanum nigrum. The tomato-homologous polypeptide does not mediate direct defense responses. Plant Physiology 142: 1751–1758. , .
- 2009. Purification and cDNA cloning of a wound inducible glucosyltransferase active toward 12-hydroxy jasmonic acid. Phytochemistry 70: 370–379. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The oxylipin signal jasmonic acid is activated by an enzyme that conjugates it to isoleucine in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 16: 2117–2127. , .
- 2000. The Arabidopsis male-sterile mutant, opr3, lacks the 12-oxophytodienoic acid reductase required for jasmonate synthesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 10625–10630. , .
- 2008. The role of JAR1 in jasmonoyl-L-isoleucine production during Arabidopsis wound response. Planta 227: 1221–1232. , .
- 2007. JAZ repressor proteins are targets of the SCFCO11 complex during jasmonate signalling. Nature 448: U661–U662. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1979. Distribution of a fatty acid cyclase enzyme system in plants. Plant Physiology 64: 203–205. , .
- 1998. A role for jasmonate in pathogen defense of Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 7209–7214. , , , , .
- 2008. Comparisons of LIPOXYGENASE3- and JASMONATE-RESISTANT4/6-silenced plants reveal that jasmonic acid and jasmonic acid–amino acid conjugates play different roles in herbivore resistance of Nicotiana attenuata. Plant Physiology 146: 904–915. , , , .
- 2007. Independently silencing two JAR family members impairs levels of trypsin proteinase inhibitors but not nicotine. Planta 226: 159–167. , , , , , .
- 1997. Dinor-oxo-phytodienoic acid: a new hexadecanoid signal in the jasmonate family. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 10473–10478. , , .
- 1998. COI1: an Arabidopsis gene required for jasmonate-regulated defense and fertility. Science 280: 1091–1094. , , , , .
- 2001. Herbivore-induced allene oxide synthase transcripts and jasmonic acid in Nicotiana attenuata. Phytochemistry 58: 729–738. , , .