Interpreting tree responses to thinning and fertilization using tree-ring stable isotopes
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2011
No claim to original US government works. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 3, pages 770–782, May 2011
How to Cite
Brooks, J. R. and Mitchell, A. K. (2011), Interpreting tree responses to thinning and fertilization using tree-ring stable isotopes. New Phytologist, 190: 770–782. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03627.x
- Issue published online: 18 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2011
- Received: 28 October 2010, Accepted: 8 December 2010
- 1990. Manipulations of water and nutrients-practice and opportunity in southern US pine forests. Forest Ecology and Management 30: 437–453. , , .
- 2000. Eight-year responses of light interception, effective leaf area index, and stemwood production in fertilized stands of interior Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca). Canadian Journal of Forest Research 30: 733–743. , .
- 2009. Coupling tree-ring δ13C and δ15N to test the effect of fertilization on mature Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca) stands across the interior northwest, USA. Tree Physiology 29: 1491–1501. , , .
- 2007. Stable oxygen isotope composition of plant tissue: a review. Functional Plant Biology 34: 83–94. .
- 2000. Relative humidity- and ABA-induced variation in carbon and oxygen isotope ratios of cotton leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 473–485. , .
- 1999. Stomatal behavior of four wood species in relation to leaf-specific hydraulic conductance and threshold water potential. Tree Physiology 19: 503–510. , .
- 1981. Effects of nitrogen fertilizer source and application rates on foliar nitrogen concentration, photosynthesis, and growth of Douglas fir. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 11: 775–780. .
- 1983. Effects of thinning and nitrogen fertilization on growth of Douglas-fir: relative contribution of foliage quantity and efficiency. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 13: 167–175. .
- 1993. Fertlization and thinning effects on a Douglas-fir ecosystem at Shawnigan Lake: a synthesis of project results. In: FRDA Report, ISSN 0835-0752: 196. Victoria: Government of Canada, 40. .
- 1983. Thinning and nitrogen fertilization effects on sapwood development and relationships of foliage quantity to sapwood area and basal area in Douglas-fir. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 13: 384–389. , .
- 1986. Thinning and nitrogen fertilization effects on soil and tree water stress in a Douglas-fir stand. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 16: 1334–1338. , .
- 2009. Physiological responses to fertilization recorded in tree rings: isotopic lessons from a long-term fertilization trial. Ecological Applications 19: 1044–1060. , .
- 2002. Predicting carbon isotope ratios of atmospheric CO2 within canopies. Functional Ecology 16: 49–57. , , .
- 1965. Deuterium and oxygen-18 variation in the ocean and the marine atmosphere. In: Tongiorgi E, ed. Proceedings of a conference on stable isotopes in oceanographic studies and paleotemperatures. Spoleto, Italy: 9–130. , .
- 1975. Fertilization and thinning effects on a Douglas-fir ecosystem at Shawnigan lake: an establishment report. In Pacific Forest Research Centre Report BC-X-110. Victoria, BC: Canadian Forest Service, 45. , .
- 1998. Interpretation of oxygen isotope composition of leaf material. In: Griffiths H, ed. Stable isotopes: integration of biological, ecological and geochemical processes. Oxford: BIOS Scientific Publishers, 27–61. , , .
- 1989a. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology 40: 503–537. , , .
- 1989b. Carbon isotope fractionation and plant water-use efficiency. In: Rundel PW, Ehleringer JR, Nagy KA, eds. Stable isotopes in ecological research. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 21–40. , , , .
- 1993. Carbon and oxygen isotope effects in the exchange of carbon dioxide between terrestrial plants and the atmosphere. In: Ehleringer JR, Hall AE, Farquhar GD, eds. Stable isotopes and plant carbon-water relations. San Diego: Academic Press, 47–70. , .
- 1982. On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the intercellular carbon dioxide concentration in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 121–137. , , .
- 2009. Effect of water availability on leaf water isotopic enrichment in beech seedlings shows limitations of current fractionation models. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1285–1296. , , , , , .
- 1986. The photosynthesis-nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: Givnish TJ, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 25–55. , .
- 2008. Mesophyll conductance to CO2: current knowledge and future prospects. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 602–621. , , , , .
- 2007. Combining δ13C and δ18O analysis to unravel competition, CO2 and O3 effects on the physiological performance of different-aged trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1023–1034. , , , , .
- 1992. Response at the foliar, tree and stand levels to nitrogen fertilization: a physiological perspective. In: Chappell HN, Weetman GF, Miller RE, eds. Forest fertilization: sustaining and improving nutriton and growth of western forests. Seattle, WA, USA: University of Washington, Institute of Forest Resources Contrib. 73, 82–89. , , .
- 2004. Production dynamics of intensively managed loblolly pine stands in the southern United States: a synthesis of seven long-term experiments. Forest Ecology and Management 192: 117–130. , , .
- 2009. The influence of species and growing conditions on the 18-O enrichment of leaf water and its impact on ‘effective path length’. New Phytologist 184: 619–630. , , , , .
- 1993. Methods for batch processing small wood samples to holocellulose for stable-carbon isotope analysis. Analytical Chemistry 65: 87–89. , .
- 2010. Spatial variability in microclimate in a mixed-conifer forest before and after thinning and burning treatments. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 904–915. , , , , .
- 2010. Response of climate-growth relationships and water use efficiency to thinning in a Pinus nigra afforestation. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 967–975. , , , , .
- 2004. Stable isotopes in tree rings. Quaternary Science Reviews 23: 771–801. , .
- 2006. Homeostatic maintenance of Ponderosa pine gas exchange in response to stand density changes. Ecological Applications 16: 1164–1182. , , , , .
- 2003. Carbon isotope discrimination and growth response of old Pinus ponderosa trees to stand density reductions. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 631–644. , , , .
- 1996. Biomass and nutrient element dynamics in Douglas-fir: effects of thinning and nitrogen fertilization over 18 years. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 26: 376–388. , , , , , .
- 1993. Effects of foliar nitrogen concentration on photosynthesis and water use efficiency in Douglas-fir. Tree Physiology 12: 403–410. , .
- 2010. Wood δ13C, δ18O and radial growth responses of residual red pine to variable retention harvesting. Tree Physiology 30: 326–334. , , , .
- 1992. Competition for resources between understory vegetation and overstory Pinus ponderosa in Northeastern Oregon. Ecological Applications 2: 71–85. , , .
- 1999. Observations of hydrogen and oxygen isotopes in leaf water confirm the Craig-Gordon Model under wide-ranging environmental conditions. Plant Physiology 120: 1165–1173. , .
- 2000. A mechanistic model for interpretation of hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios in tree-ring cellulose. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 64: 21–35. , , .
- 2000. Linking stable oxygen and carbon isotopes with stomatal conductance and photosynthetic capacity: a conceptual model. Oecologia 125: 350–357. , , , .
- 2008. Carbon isotopes and water use efficiency: sense and sensitivity. Oecologia 155: 441–454. , , , .
- 1990. Growth response of unthinned and thinned Douglas-fir stands to single and multiple applications of nitrogen. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 343–349. , .
- 1989. Oxygen and hydrogen isotope measurements in plant cellulose analysis. In: Linskens HF, Jackson JF, eds. Modern methods of plant analysis vol 10: plant fibers. Berlin: Springer Verlag, 89–99. .
- 2009. Oxygen stable isotope ratios of tree-ring cellulose: the next phase of understanding. New Phytologist 181: 553–562. .
- 1998. Non-climatic variation in the oxygen isotope composition of plants. Global Change Biology 4: 835–849. , , .
- 2001. Water availability and carbon isotope discrimination in conifers. Oecologia 127: 476–486. , , .
- 1990. Oxygen and hydrogen isotope fractionation during cellulose metabolism in Lemna gibba L. Plant Physiology 93: 325–332. , .