Carbon reserves and canopy defoliation determine the recovery of Scots pine 4 yr after a drought episode
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 3, pages 750–759, May 2011
How to Cite
Galiano, L., Martínez-Vilalta, J. and Lloret, F. (2011), Carbon reserves and canopy defoliation determine the recovery of Scots pine 4 yr after a drought episode. New Phytologist, 190: 750–759. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03628.x
- Issue published online: 18 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2011
- Received: 22 October 2010, Accepted: 13 December 2010
- 2009. Temperature sensitivity of drought-induced tree mortality portends increased regional die-off under global-change-type drought. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 7063–7066. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. A global overview of drought and heat-induced tree mortality reveals emerging climate change risks for forests. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 660–684. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Amos 18 User’s Guide. Chicago, IL, USA: SPSS Inc. .
- 1989. The role of climate on present and past vitality of silver fir forests in the Vosges mountains of northeastern France. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 19: 1110–1117. .
- 2006. Drought as an inciting mortality factor in Scots pine stands of the Valais, Switzerland. Ecosystems 9: 330–343. , , , , .
- 2007. Drought induces lagged tree mortality in a subalpine forest in the Rocky Mountains. Oikos 116: 1983–1994. , , , .
- 1998. Impact of long-term drought on xylem embolism and growth in Pinus halepensis Mill. Trees – Structure and Function 12: 187–195. , , , .
- 2006. Temperate forest trees and stands under severe drought: a review of ecophysiological responses, adaptation processes and long-term consequences. Annals of Forest Science 63: 625–644. , , , .
- 2005. Regional vegetation die-off in response to global-change-type drought. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 15144–15148. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Tree die-off in response to global change-type drought: mortality insights from a decade of plant water potential measurements. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 7: 185–189. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Hydraulic failure defines the recovery and point of death in water-stressed conifers. Plant Physiology 149: 575–584. , .
- 1990. The ecology and economics of storage in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 423–447. , , .
- 1988. Effect of phosphorus deficiency on source–sink interactions between the flag leaf and developing grain in barley. Journal of Experimental Botany 39: 165–177. , .
- 2002. Shoot dieback during prolonged drought in Ceanothus (Rhamnaceae) chaparral of California: a possible case of hydraulic failure. American Journal of Botany 89: 820–828. , , , , , .
- 2006. Interactive effects of drought and pathogens in forest trees. Annals of Forest Science 63: 597–612. , , , , .
- 2005. Tree growth as indicator of tree vitality and of tree reaction to environmental stress: a review. European Journal of Forest Research 124: 319–333. .
- 2006. Pine mistletoe (Viscum album ssp. austriacum) contributes to Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) mortality in the Rhone valley of Switzerland. Forest Pathology 36: 309–322. , .
- 2007. Linking increasing drought stress to Scots Pine mortality and bark beetle infestations. The Scientific World Journal 7: 231–239. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Comparative water use and nitrogen relationships in a mistletoe and its host. Oecologia 68: 279–284. , , .
- 1995. Water relations. In: Press MC, Graves JD, eds. Parasitic plants. London, UK: Chapman & Hall, 125–140. , .
- 2004. Seasonal and spatial variation of carbohydrates in mistletoes (Viscum album) and the xylem sap of its hosts (Populus × euamericana and Abies alba). Physiologia Plantarum 120: 212–219. , , , .
- European Environment Agency (EEA). 2008. Impacts of Europe’s changing climate – 2008 indicator-based assessment. European Environment Agency summary, report No. 4. Copenhagen, Denmark: European Environment Agency.
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 503–537. , , .
- 1986. The photosynthesis–nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: Givnish TJ, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 25–55. , .
- 1993. Influence of dwarf mistletoe and western spruce budworm on growth and mortality of Douglas-fir in unmanaged stands. Forest Science 39: 465–477. , , , , .
- 1983. Water relations of mistletoes and their hosts. In: Calder M, Bernhard T, eds. The biology of mistletoes. Sydney, Australia: Academic Press, 163–184. .
- 2010. Drought-induced multifactor decline of Scots pine in the Pyrenees and potential vegetation change by the expansion of co-occurring oak species. Ecosystems 13: 978–991. , , .
- 1983. Mineral nutrition and water relations of hemiparasitic mistletoes: a question of partitioning. Experiments with Loranthus europaeus on Quercus petraea and Quercus robur. Oecologia 56: 193–201. .
- 2005. Conserving biodiversity under climate change: the rear edge matters. Ecology Letters 8: 461–467. , .
- 2002. Altitudinal increase of mobile carbon pools in Pinus cembra suggests sink limitation of growth at the Swiss treeline. Oikos 98: 361–374. , , .
- 2003. Non-structural carbon compounds in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1067–1081. , , .
- 2003. Pine processionary caterpillar Thaumetopoea pityocampa as a new threat for relict Mediterranean Scots pine forests under climatic warming. Biological Conservation 110: 123–129. , , .
- 1983. Computer-assisted quality control in tree-ring dating and measurement. Tree-Ring Bulletin 43: 69–78. .
- 2003. Structural equation modelling: an alternative for assessing causal relationships in threatened plant populations. Biological Conservation 113: 367–377. , , .
- 1998. The response of Pinus sylvestris to drought: stomatal control of transpiration and hydraulic conductance. Tree Physiology 18: 393–402. , , , .
- 2003. Carbon limitation in trees. Journal of Ecology 91: 4–17. .
- 2001. Repeated insect defoliation effects on growth, nitrogen acquisition, carbohydrates, and root demography of poplars. Oecologia 129: 65–74. , , , .
- 1990. Effects of shoot pruning on stem growth, needle biomass, and dynamics of carbohydrates and nitrogen in Scots pine as related to season and tree age. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 514–523. , , , , .
- 2009. Poor methodology for predicting large-scale tree die-off. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: E106. , , , .
- 2002. Source/sink removal affects mobile carbohydrates in Pinus cembra at the Swiss treeline. Trees 16: 331–337. , , .
- 2009. Interacting effects of changes in climate and forest cover on mortality and growth of the southernmost European fir forests. Global Ecology and Biogeography 18: 485–497. , , .
- 2010. Competition modulates the adaptation capacity of forests to climatic stress: insights from recent growth decline and death in relict stands of the Mediterranean fir Abies pinsapo. Journal of Ecology 98: 592–603. , , .
- 2004. Canopy recovery after drought dieback in holm-oak Mediterranean forests of Catalonia (NE Spain). Global Change Biology 10: 2092–2099. , , .
- 1991. Tree disease concepts. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall. .
- 1994. Integrated nitrogen, carbon, and water relations of a xylem-tapping mistletoe following nitrogen fertilization of the host. Oecologia 100: 430–438. , , .
- 1990. Are xylem-tapping mistletoes partially heterotrophic? Oecologia 84: 244–248. , .
- 1999. Los bosques de Pinus sylvestris L. del Sistema Central español. Distribución, història, composición florística y tipología. PhD thesis, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain. .
- 2009. Hydraulic adjustment of Scots pine across Europe. New Phytologist 184: 353–364. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Drought-induced mortality and hydraulic architecture in pine populations of the NE Iberian Peninsula. Forest Ecology and Management 161: 247–256. , .
- 2002. A hydraulic model to predict drought-induced mortality in woody plants: an application to climate change in the Mediterranean. Ecological Modelling 155: 127–147. , , .
- 2008. Mechanisms of plant survival and mortality during drought: why do some plants survive while others succumb to drought? New Phytologist 178: 719–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The mechanisms of carbon starvation: how, when, or does it even occur at all? New Phytologist 186: 264–266. , .
- 2004. Integrated responses of hydraulic architecture, water and carbon relations of western hemlock to dwarf mistletoe infection. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 937–946. , , .
- 1972. The carbon balance of plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 3: 315–346. .
- 2000. A methodological approach of climatological modelling of air temperature and precipitation through GIS techniques. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1823–1841. , , .
- 2003. Impact of population dynamics of white mistletoe (Viscum album ssp. abietis) on European silver fir (Abies alba). Annals of Forest Science 60: 773–779. , , .
- 1975. Effects of drought and defoliation on some metabolites in roots of black oak seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 5: 457–463. , .
- 2007. Radial growth response of coniferous forest trees in an inner Alpine environment to heat-wave in 2003. Forest Ecology and Management 242: 688–699. , .
- 1996. Estimación de la radiación solar a partir de modelos digitales de elevaciones. Propuesta metodológica. In: Juaristi J, Moro I, eds. VII Coloquio de Geografía Cuantitativa, Sistemas de Información Geográfica y Teledetección. Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain, 87–97. .
- 1994. Temporal trends in twig growth of Fagus sylvatica L. and their relationships with environmental factors. Forestry 67: 13–30. .
- 2003. Land use and land cover change after agricultural abandonment. The case of a Mediterranean Mountain area (Catalan Pre-Pyrenees). Mountain Research and Development 23: 362–368. , , .
- 1988. Transpiration and carbon acquisition in root hemiparasitic angiosperms. Journal of Experimental Botany 39: 1009–1014. , , .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. URL http://www.r-project.org/
- 2010. Mistletoe-induced crown degradation in Scots pine in a xeric environment. Tree Physiology 30: 845–852. , , , .
- 2009. Lack of direct evidence for the carbon-starvation hypothesis to explain drought-induced mortality in trees. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: E68. .
- 2001. Dwarf mistletoe affects whole-tree water relations of Douglas fir and western larch primarily through changes in leaf to sapwood ratios. Oecologia 126: 42–52. , , .
- 2010. Physiological mechanisms of drought-induced tree mortality are far from being resolved. New Phytologist 186: 274–281. , , .
- 1984. The effect of nitrogen supply on growth and water use efficiency of xylem tapping mistletoes. Planta 162: 268–275. , .
- 1991. Carbon and nitrogen isotope ratios of mistletoes growing on nitrogen and non-nitrogen fixing hosts and on CAM plants in the Namib desert confirm partial heterotrophy. Oecologia 88: 457–462. , , , .
- 2007. Effects of dwarf mistletoe on climate response of mature ponderosa pine trees. Tree-Ring Research 63: 69–80. .
- 1990. The physiology and biochemistry of parasitic angiosperms. Annual Review Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 41: 127–151. , .
- 2002. Quantitative changes in twig growth pattern of young woodland beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) in relation to climate and ozone pollution over 10 years. Forest Ecology and Management 157: 191–204. , .
- 2002. Water relations of temperate mistletoes on various hosts. Functional Plant Biology 29: 89–96. , .
- 1993. Drought-induced leaf-shedding in walnut: evidence for vulnerability segmentation. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 879–882. , , , , .
- 1989. Vulnerability of xylem to cavitation and embolism. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 19–38. , .
- 1999. The effect of defoliation intensity and history on photosynthesis, growth and carbon reserves of two conifers with contrasting leaf lifespans and growth habits. New Phytologist 144: 121–132. , .
- 2001. Mistletoe – a keystone resource in forests and woodlands worldwide. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 32: 219–249. .
- Worldwide Bioclimatic Classification System. 19962009. Rivas-Martínez S & Rivas-Saenz S, Phytosociological Research Center, Spain. [WWW document]. URL http://www.globalbioclimatics.org [accessed on 24 May 2010].
- 2004. Biological flora of Central Europe: Viscum album L. Flora 199: 181–203. .