These authors contributed equally to this work.
Arabidopsis VILLIN4 is involved in root hair growth through regulating actin organization in a Ca2+-dependent manner
Article first published online: 28 JAN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 3, pages 667–682, May 2011
How to Cite
Zhang, Y., Xiao, Y., Du, F., Cao, L., Dong, H. and Ren, H. (2011), Arabidopsis VILLIN4 is involved in root hair growth through regulating actin organization in a Ca2+-dependent manner. New Phytologist, 190: 667–682. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03632.x
These authors contributed equally to this work.
- Issue published online: 18 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 28 JAN 2011
- Received: 18 October 2010, Accepted: 12 December 2010
- 2006. Mechanism of actin filament turnover by severing and nucleation at different concentrations of ADF/cofilin. Molecular Cell 24: 13–23. , .
- 2000. Root hair formation: F-actin-dependent tip growth is initiated by local assembly of profilin-supported F-actin meshworks accumulated within expansin-enriched bulges. Developmental Biology 227: 618–632. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. A gene expression map of the Arabidopsis root. Science 302: 1956–1960. , , , , , , .
- 2007. A high-resolution root spatiotemporal map reveals dominant expression patterns. Science 318: 801–806. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The crystal structure of plasma gelsolin: implications for actin severing, capping, and nucleation. Cell 90: 661–670. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Reconstructing spatiotemporal gene expression data from partial observations. Bioinformatics 25: 2581–2587. , , , , .
- 2004. Overexpression of an Arabidopsis formin stimulates supernumerary actin cable formation from pollen tube cell membrane. Plant Cell 16: 257–269. , .
- 2002. The calcium activation of gelsolin: insights from the 3A structure of the G4–G6/actin complex. Journal of Molecular Biology 324: 691–702. , , , , , .
- 2003. Actin binding proteins: regulation of cytoskeletal microfilaments. Physiological Reviews 83: 433–473. , , , , , , .
- 1999. In vivo, villin is required for Ca2+-dependent F-actin disruption in intestinal brush borders. Journal of Cell Biology 146: 819–830. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. From the structure to the function of villin, an actin-binding protein of the brush border. Bioessays 12: 403–408. , , , .
- 1999. Villin function in the organization of the actin cytoskeleton. Correlation of in vivo effects to its biochemical activities in vitro. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 26751–26760. , , , .
- 2001. Rop GTPase-dependent dynamics of tip-localized F-Actin controls tip growth in pollen tubes. Journal of Cell Biology 152: 1019–1032. , , .
- 1991. Actin-binding proteins. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 3: 87–97. , .
- 1983. Demonstration of three distinct calcium-binding sites in villin, a modulator of actin assembly. Journal of Biological Chemistry 258: 365–369. , .
- 2010. Quantification and cluster analysis of actin cytoskeletal structures in plant cells: role of actin bundling in stomatal movement during diurnal cycles in Arabidopsis guard cells. Plant Journal 61: 156–165. , , , , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis VILLIN1 generates actin filament cables that are resistant to depolymerization. Plant Cell 17: 486–501. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Functional comparison of villin and gelsolin. Effects of Ca2+, KCl, and polyphosphoinositides. Journal of Biological Chemistry 263: 16738–16743. , .
- 2003. Unstable F-actin specifies the area and microtubule direction of cell expansion in Arabidopsis root hairs. Plant Cell 15: 285–292. , , .
- 2002. Positioning of nuclei in Arabidopsis root hairs: an actin-regulated process of tip growth. Plant Cell 14: 2941–2955. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Arabidopsis VILLIN1 and VILLIN3 have overlapping and distinct activities in actin bundle formation and turnover. Plant Cell 22: 2727–2748. , , , , , .
- 2000. Villin-like actin-binding proteins are expressed ubiquitously in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 122: 35–48. , , , , .
- 2000. AtFim1 is an actin filament crosslinking protein from Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 24: 625–636. , , , .
- 2005. Real-time measurements of actin filament polymerization by total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy. Biophysical Journal 88: 1387–1402. , .
- 2004. Identification of a functional switch for actin severing by cytoskeletal proteins. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 24915–24918. , .
- 2004. Functional dissection and molecular characterization of calcium-sensitive actin-capping and actin-depolymerizing sites in villin. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 45036–45046. , , , .
- 2006. PINOID positively regulates auxin efflux in Arabidopsis root hair cells and tobacco cells. Plant Cell 18: 1604–1616. , .
- 2008. Roles of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase in root hair growth. Plant Physiology 147: 624–635. , , , , , .
- 2005. Enhanced fixation reveals the apical cortical fringe of actin filaments as a consistent feature of the pollen tube. Planta 221: 95–104. , , , .
- 2007. Regulation of the formin for3p by cdc42p and bud6p. Molecular Biology of the Cell 18: 4155–4167. , , , , .
- 1999. The role of actin in root hair morphogenesis: studies with lipochito-oligo-saccharide as a growth stimulator and cytochalasin as an actin perturbing drug. Plant Journal 17: 141–154. , , , .
- 2000. Latrunculin alters the actin-monomer subunit interface to prevent polymerization. Nature Cell Biology 2: 376–378. , , .
- 1998. Purification of an actin-binding protein composed of 115-kDa polypeptide from pollen tubes of lily. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 249: 61–65. , , .
- 1986. Different calcium dependence of the capping and cutting activities of villin. Journal of Biological Chemistry 261: 9274–9281. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Actin-bundling proteins. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 6: 105–109. .
- 2010. Arabidopsis LIM Proteins: a family of actin bundlers with distinct expression patterns and modes of regulation. Plant Cell 22: 3034–3052. , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Purification of muscle actin. Methods in Cell Biology 24: 271–289. , .
- 1983. Measurement of rate constants for actin filament elongation in solution. Analytical Biochemistry 134: 406–412. .
- 1997. Actin purified from maize pollen functions in living plant cells. Plant Cell 9: 1445–1457. , , , , , .
- 2007. The function of actin-binding proteins in pollen tube growth. Protoplasma 230: 171–182. , .
- 2004. A green fluorescent protein fusion to actin-binding domain 2 of Arabidopsis fimbrin highlights new features of a dynamic actin cytoskeleton in live plant cells. Plant Physiology 136: 3968–3978. , , , .
- 1995. Roles of actin filaments in cytoplasmic streaming and organization of transvacuolar strands in root hair cells of Hydrocharis. Protoplasma 185: 188–193. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Regulation of actin dynamics by actin-binding proteins in pollen. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 1969–1986. , , , , .
- 2009. Actin filament dynamics are dominated by rapid growth and severing activity in the Arabidopsis cortical array. Journal of Cell Biology 184: 269–280. , , , , , .
- 2007. The villin/gelsolin/fragmin superfamily proteins in plants. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 49: 1183–1191. , , , .
- 2007. MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 1596–1599. , , , .
- 2006. Tobacco WLIM1 is a novel F-actin binding protein involved in actin cytoskeleton remodeling. Plant Cell 18: 2194–2206. , , , , , .
- 2009. Actin bundling in plants. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 66: 940–957. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The role of plant villin in the organization of the actin cytoskeleton, cytoplasmic streaming and the architecture of the transvacuolar strand in root hair cells of Hydrocharis. Planta 210: 836–843. , , , , , .
- 1990. Actin-binding proteins. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 2: 41–50. .
- 2005. GFP-FABD2 fusion construct allows in vivo visualization of the dynamic actin cytoskeleton in all cells of Arabidopsis seedlings. European Journal of Cell Biology 84: 595–608. , , , , , .
- 1984. Effect of villin on the kinetics of actin polymerization. Biochemistry 23: 2613–2621. , , , , .
- 2004. Green fluorescent protein fusions to Arabidopsis fimbrin 1 for spatio-temporal imaging of F-actin dynamics in roots. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 59: 79–93. , , , .
- 2007. ACTIN BINDING PROTEIN 29 from Lilium pollen plays an important role in dynamic actin remodeling. Plant Cell 19: 1930–1946. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Arabidopsis formin3 directs the formation of actin cables and polarized growth in pollen tubes. Plant Cell 21: 3868–3884. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Calcium-calmodulin suppresses the filamentous actin-binding activity of a 135-kilodalton actin-bundling protein isolated from lily pollen tubes. Plant Physiology 123: 645–654. , , .
- 1999. The 135-kDa actin-bundling protein from lily pollen tubes arranges F-actin into bundles with uniform polarity. Planta 209: 264–266. , .
- 1998. Actin-bundling protein isolated from pollen tubes of lily. Biochemical and immunocytochemical characterization. Plant Physiology 116: 1421–1429. , , .
- 2005. Plant villin, lily P-135-ABP, possesses G-actin binding activity and accelerates the polymerization and depolymerization of actin in a Ca2+-sensitive manner. Plant Cell Physiology 46: 1690–1703. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Plant 115-kDa actin-filament bundling protein, P-115-ABP, is a homologue of plant villin and is widely distributed in cells. Plant Cell Physiology 44: 1088–1099. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Arabidopsis VILLIN5, an actin filament bundling and severing protein, is necessary for normal pollen tube growth. Plant Cell 22: 2749–2767. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2005. Single microspore reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction: dynamic change of gene expression during microsporogenesis. Bioscience Biotechnology and Biochemistry 69: 2240–2243. , , .
- 2004. GENEVESTIGATOR. Arabidopsis microarray database and analysis toolbox. Plant Physiology 136: 2621–2632. , , , .