Rapid changes in δ13C of ecosystem-respired CO2 after sunset are consistent with transient 13C enrichment of leaf respired CO2
Article first published online: 7 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 4, pages 990–1002, June 2011
How to Cite
Barbour, M. M., Hunt, J. E., Kodama, N., Laubach, J., McSeveny, T. M., Rogers, G. N.D., Tcherkez, G. and Wingate, L. (2011), Rapid changes in δ13C of ecosystem-respired CO2 after sunset are consistent with transient 13C enrichment of leaf respired CO2. New Phytologist, 190: 990–1002. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03635.x
- Issue published online: 11 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 7 FEB 2011
- Received: 30 July 2010, Accepted: 16 December 2010
- 2001. The carbon budget in soils. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 29: 535–562. .
- 2008. Using temperature dependent changes in leaf scaling relationships to quantitatively account for thermal acclimation of respiration in a coupled global climate–vegetation model. Global Change Biology 14: 2709–2726. , , , , , , , .
- 1998a. Light inhibition of leaf respiration: the role of irradiance and temper-ature. In: MøllerIM, GardeströmP, GlimeliusK, GlaserE, eds. Plant mitochondria: from gene to function. Leiden, the Netherlands: Bluckhuys Publishers, 567–574. , , , , , .
- 1998b. Relationship between the inhibition of leaf respiration by light and enhancement of leaf dark respiration following light treatment. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 437–443. , , .
- 2010. Plant respiration in a changing world. New Phytologist 187: 268–272. , , .
- 2005. Post-photosynthetic fractionation of stable carbon isotopes between plant organs – a widespread phenomenon. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 19: 1381–1391. , , , , .
- 2009. Does photosynthesis affect grassland soil-respired CO2 and its carbon isotope composition on a diurnal timescale? New Phytologist 182: 451–460. , , , , .
- 1997. Measuring and modeling carbon dioxide and water vapor exchange over a temperate broad-leaved forest during the 1995 summer drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1108–1122. .
- 2007. A new measurement technique reveals rapid post-illumination changes in the carbon isotope composition of leaf-respired CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 469–482. , , , , .
- 2009. Metabolic origin of the δ13C of respired CO2 in roots of Phaseolus vulgaris. New Phytologist 181: 387–399. , , , , , .
- 2007. No diurnal variation in rate or carbon isotope composition of soil respiration in a boreal forest. Tree Physiology 27: 749–756. , , , , , .
- 1999. Dynamics of isotopic exchange of carbon dioxide in a Tennessee deciduous forest. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 13: 903–922. , , .
- 2002. 13C content of ecosystem respiration is linked to precipitation and vapor pressure deficit. Oecologia 131: 113–124. , , , , .
- 2003. Tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy for stable isotope studies of ecosystem–atmosphere CO2 exchange. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 118: 1–19. , , , .
- 1973. Etude de l’inhibition de la respiration par la lumière chez la moutarde blanche Sinapis alba L. Physiologie Vegetale 11: 663–679. .
- 2000. Acceleration of global warming due to carbon-cycle feedbacks in a coupled climate model. Nature, 408: 184–187. , , , , .
- 1999. d13C of CO2 respired in the dark in relation to d13C of leaf carbohydrates in Phaseolus vulgaris L. under progressive drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 515–523. , , , , .
- 1980. A biochemical model of photosynthetic assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78–90. , , .
- 2006. Climate–carbon cycle feedback analysis: Results from the (CMIP)-M-4 model inter-comparison. Journal of Climate 19: 3337–3353. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. On the metabolic origin of the carbon isotope composition of CO2 evolved from darkened light-acclimated leaves in Ricinus communis. New Phytologist 181: 374–386. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Carbon isotope fractionation during dark respiration and photorespiration in C3 plants. Phytochemistry Reviews 2: 145–161. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. δ13C of CO2 respired in the dark in relation to δ13C of leaf metabolites: comparison between Nicotiana sylvestris and Helianthus annuus under drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 505–515. , , , , , .
- 2009. Accurate quantitative isotopic C-13 NMR spectroscopy for the determination of the intramolecular distribution of C-13 in glucose at natural abundance. Analytical Chemistry 81: 8978–8985. , , , .
- 2004. Measuring field-scale isotopic CO2 fluxes with tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy and micrometeorological techniques. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 124: 15–29. , , , , .
- 2008. Direct measurement of biosphere–atmosphere isotopic CO2 exchange using the eddy covariance technique. Journal of Geophysical Research, 113: D08304. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Determining carbon isotope signatures from micrometeorological measurements: implications for studying biosphere–atmosphere exchange processes. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 123: 295–316. , , , , .
- 1961. The concentration and isotopic abundances of carbon dioxide in rural and marine air. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 24: 277–298. .
- 2005. C-isotope composition of CO2 respired by shoots and roots: fractionation during dark respiration? Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 241–250. , , , , , .
- 2008. Temporal dynamics of the carbon isotope composition in a Pinus sylvestris stand: from newly assimilated organic carbon to respired carbon dioxide. Oecologia 156: 737–750. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Short-term dynamics of the carbon isotope composition of CO2 emitted from a wheat agroecosystem – physiological and environmental controls. Plant Biology 13: 115–125. , , , .
- 2005. A dynamic global vegetation model for studies of the coupled atmosphere–biosphere system. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 19: GB1015. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The turn-over of respiratory carbon pools in grass plants. PhD thesis, Technische Universität München, München, Germany. .
- 1994. On the temperature dependence of soil respiration. Functional Ecology 8: 315–323. , .
- 2009. Seasonal and daily time course of the 13C composition in soil CO2 efflux recorded with a tunable diode laser spectrophotometer (TDLS). Plant and Soil 318: 137–151. , , , .
- 2009. Biotic and abiotic factors affecting the δ13C of soil respired CO2 in a Mediterranean oak woodland. Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies 45: 343–359. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Response of the carbon isotopic content of ecosystem, leaf, and soil respiration to meteorological and physiological driving factors in a Pinus ponderosa ecosystem. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 18: GB1013. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Modelling basin-wide variation in Amazon forest productivity – Part 1: model calibration, evaluation and upscaling functions for canopy photosynthesis. Biosciences 6: 1247–1272. , , , , .
- 2008. Measuring the 13C content of soil respired CO2 using a novel open chamber system. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 22: 2073–2081. , , .
- 2010. Quantifying the contribution of soil organic matter turnover to forest soil respiration, using natural abundance δ13C. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 42: 935–943. , , , , .
- 2010. Diffusive fractionation complicates isotopic partitioning of autotrophic and heterotrophic sources of soil respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 1804–1819. , , , .
- 1991. Organic acid content of permanent pasture grasses. Irish Journal of Agricultural Research 30: 143–152. , , .
- 2004. Respiratory carbon metabolism following illumination in intact French bean leaves using 13C/12C isotope labelling. Plant Physiology 136: 3245–3254. , , , .
- 2003. MuSICA, a CO2, water and energy multilayer, multileaf pine forest model: evaluation from hourly to yearly time scales and sensitivity analysis. Global Change Biology 9: 697–717. , , , , .
- 2009. Pronounced differences in diurnal variation of carbon isotope composition of leaf respired CO2 among functional groups. New Phytologist 181: 400–412. , , .
- 2002. Interannual variability in global soil respiration, 1980–94. Global Change Biology 8: 800–812. , , .
- 1991. Light-enhanced dark respiration in meosphyll protoplasts from leaves of Pea. Plant Physiology 96: 1368–1371. , , .
- 1991. Evidence for a nonstatistical carbon isotope distribution in natural glucose. Plant Physiology 96: 609–614. , , .
- 2008. Canopy structure and atmospheric flows in relation to the δ13C of respired CO2 in a subalpine coniferous forest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 148: 592–605. , , , , , .
- 2003. Fundamentals and systematics of the non-statistical distributions of isotopes in natural compounds. Naturwissenschaften 90: 537–552. .
- 1990. Footprint prediction of scalar fluxes from analytical solutions of the diffusion equation. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 50: 353–373. , , , .
- 1998. The validity of similarity theory in the roughness sublayer above forests. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 87: 69–99. , , , , .
- 2005. In vivo respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves. Plant Physiology 138: 1596–1606. , , , , .
- 2004. Theoretical considerations about carbon isotope distribution in glucose of C3 plants. Functional Plant Biology 31: 857–877. , , , .
- 2003. Metabolic origin of carbon isotope composition of leaf dark-respired CO2 in French bean. Plant Physiology 131: 237–244. , , , , , .
- 2003. Scaling foliar respiration in two contrasting ecosystems. Functional Ecology 17: 101–114. , , , , , .
- 2009. Short-term dynamics of isotopic composition of leaf-respired CO2 upon darkening: measurements and implications. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23: 2428–2438. , , , , .
- 2010a. Strong seasonal disequilibrium measured between the oxygen isotope signals of leaf and soil CO2 exchange. Global Change Biology 26: 3048–3064. , , , .
- 2010b. Photosynthetic carbon isotope discrimination and its relationship to the carbon isotope signals of stem, soil and ecosystem respiration. New Phytologist 188: 576–589. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Interactions between photosynthesis and respiration in the green algae Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Plant Physiology 112: 1005–1014. , , , .
- 2006. Sensitivity analysis and quantification of uncertainty for isotopic mixing relationships in carbon cycle research. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 136: 56–75. , , , .