How do bryophytes govern generative recruitment of vascular plants?
Version of Record online: 22 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 4, pages 1019–1031, June 2011
How to Cite
Soudzilovskaia, N. A., Graae, B. J., Douma, J. C., Grau, O., Milbau, A., Shevtsova, A., Wolters, L. and Cornelissen, J. H. C. (2011), How do bryophytes govern generative recruitment of vascular plants?. New Phytologist, 190: 1019–1031. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03644.x
- Issue online: 11 MAY 2011
- Version of Record online: 22 FEB 2011
- Received: 14 October 2010, Accepted: 20 December 2010
- 2007. Frequent long-distance plant colonization in the changing Arctic. Science 316: 1606–1609. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Organic matter accumulation and community change at the peatland–upland interface: inferences from C-14 and Pb-210 dated profiles. Ecosystems 12: 636–653. , , , , .
- 1980. Plant reproduction in a High Arctic environment. Arctic and Alpine Research 12: 1–10. , .
- 2006. Post-fire bryophyte establishment in a continental bog. Journal of Vegetation Science 17: 647–652. .
- 2008. Spatial patterns and temporal trajectories of the bog ground layer along a post-fire chronosequence. Ecosystems 11: 1054–1064. , .
- 1994. Positive interactions in communities. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9: 191–193. , .
- 2006. Microbial community utilization of added carbon substrates in response to long-term carbon input manipulation. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 38: 2219–2232. , , .
- 1991. Tree seedling emergence on interactive temperature and moisture gradients and in patches of old-field vegetation. American Journal of Botany 78: 131–149. , .
- 1997. Competition and facilitation: a synthetic approach to interactions in plant communities. Ecology 78: 1958–1965. , .
- 1987. The role of mosses in the phosphorus cycling of an Alaskan black spruce forest. Oecologia 74: 310–315. , , , .
- 2007. Comparative cryptogam ecology: a review of bryophyte and lichen traits that drive biogeochemistry. Annals of Botany 99: 987–1001. , , , .
- 1981. The establishment of Rhododendron ponticum in the Killarney oakwoods, SW Ireland. Journal of Ecology 69: 807–824. .
- 2010. Effects of bryophytes and grass litter on seedling emergence vary by vertical seed position and seed size. Plant Ecology 207: 257–268. , .
- 2004. Summer warming and increased winter snow cover affect Sphagnum fuscum growth, structure and production in a sub-arctic bog. Global Change Biology 10: 93–104. , , , , .
- 2007. Population dynamics of annuals in perennial grassland controlled by ants and environmental stochasticity. Journal of Vegetation Science 18: 91–102. .
- 2011. The importance of colony structure versus shoot morphology for the water balance of 22 subarctic bryophyte species. Journal of Vegetation Science 22: 152–164. , , , .
- 1993. Impact of carpets of the invasive moss Campylopus introflexus on Calluna vulgaris regeneration. Journal of Ecology 81: 359–365. , .
- 1992. Seed and microsite limitation of recruitment in plant-populations. Oecologia 91: 360–364. , .
- 1996. Regeneration of four boreal bryophytes: colonization of experimental gaps by naturally occurring propagules. Canadian Journal of Botany-Revue Canadienne de Botanique 74: 1937–1942. .
- 2007. Arctic mosses govern below-ground environment and ecosystem processes. Oecologia 153: 931–941. , , , .
- 2009. Herbivore impacts to the moss layer determine tundra ecosystem response to grazing and warming. Oecologia 161: 747–758. , , , .
- 1998. Benefits of plant diversity to ecosystems: immediate, filter and founder effects. Journal of Ecology 86: 902–910. .
- 2007. Polytrichum strictum as a nurse-plant in peatland restoration. Restoration Ecology 15: 709–719. , , .
- 1993. Effect of the light environment on seed germination of red alder (Alnus rubra). Canadian Journal of Forest Research-Revue Canadienne de Recherche Forestiere 23: 1487–1491. , .
- 2002. Effects of seedbed substrates on regeneration of Picea abies from seeds. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 17: 511–521. .
- 2008. Effects of a dense moss layer on germination and establishment of vascular plants in newly created calcareous grasslands. Flora 203: 557–566. , .
- 2010. Allelopathy and allelopathic substance in the moss Rhynchostegium pallidifolium. Journal of Plant Physiology 167: 468–471. , , .
- 2009. Determinants of cryptogam composition and diversity in Sphagnum-dominated peatlands: the importance of temporal, spatial and functional scales. Journal of Ecology 97: 299–310. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The vegetational ecology of black spruce swamps, fens, and bogs in southern boreal Manitoba, Canada. Wetlands 25: 564–582. , , .
- 1988. The biology of polar bryophytes and lichens. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1997. The role of bryophytes and lichens in polar ecosystems. In: WoodinSJM, ed. Ecology of arctic environment. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science Ltd, 69–96.
- 2003. Large-scale changes in abundance of terricolous bryophytes and macrolichens in Finland. Journal of Vegetation Science 14: 497–508. , .
- 1980. Supply and transport of mineral nutrients in a sub-arctic mire. In: SonessonM., ed. Ecology of a subarctic mire. Stockholm, Sweden: Swedish National Science Research Council, 63–95. ,
- 1942. Grass seedling establishment, and productivity: overgrazed vs. protected range soils. Ecology 23: 228–231. .
- 2009. Effects of a warmer climate on seed germination in the Subarctic. Annals of Botany 104: 287–296. , , , .
- 2008. Are traits measured on pot grown plants representative of those in natural communities? Journal of Vegetation Science 19: 119–126. , .
- 1998. Responses of subarctic-alpine plant communities to simulated environmental change: biodiversity of bryophytes, lichens, and vascular plants. Ambio 27: 322–329. , .
- 2006. Bryophyte mats inhibit germination of non-native species in burnt temperate native grassland remnants. Biological Invasions 8: 159–168. .
- 2000. Characterisation of the differential interference effects of two boreal dwarf shrub species. Oecologia 123: 122–128. , , , .
- 1999. Sixty years of vegetation dynamics in a south boreal coniferous forest in southern Norway. Journal of Vegetation Science 10: 5–16. , .
- 1992. Tree establishment and microhabitat relationships in north Swedish peatlands. Canadian Journal of Forest Research-Revue Canadienne de Recherche Forestiere 22: 1869–1877. , .
- 2004. Moisture conditions and the presence of bryophytes determine fescue species abundance in a dry calcareous grassland. Oecologia 138: 293–299. , .
- 1995. Growth responses of Polytrichum commune and Hylocomium splendens to simulated environmental change in the Sub-arctic. New Phytologist 131: 533–541. , , , .
- 1996. A cross-continental comparison of phenology, leaf dynamics and dry matter allocation in arctic and temperate zone herbaceous plants from contrasting altitudes. Ecological Bulletin 45: 93–103. , .
- 1992. Bryophyte distribution patterns. In: BatesJW, FarmerAM, eds. Bryophytes and lichens in a changing environment. Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press, 103–130.
- 2003. Lichens and mosses promote alternate stable plant communities in the New Jersey Pinelands. Oikos 100: 447–458. , .
- 2006. Germination and seed water status of four grasses on moss-dominated biological soil crusts from arid lands. Plant Ecology 185: 163–178. , , , .
- 2009. Critical periods for impact of climate warming on early seedling establishment in subarctic tundra. Global Change Biology 15: 2662–2680. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Microscale pattern of vascular plant distribution in 2 High Arctic plant communities. Canadian Journal of Botany-Revue Canadienne de Botanique 62: 2033–2042. , .
- 2010. Similar cation exchange capacities among bryophyte species refute a presumed mechanism of peatland acidification. Ecology 91: 2716–2726. , , , , , .
- 1998. Sensitivity of seedling recruitment to moss, litter and dominant removal in an oligotrophic wet meadow. Folia Geobotanica 33: 17–30. , , .
- 2004. Variability of seedling recruitment under dominant, moss, and litter removal over four years. Folia Geobotanica 39: 41–55. , .
- 1995. Seed regeneration of Scots pine in boreal forest stands dominated by land feather moss. Canadian Journal of Forest Research-Revue Canadienne de Recherche Forestiere 25: 713–723. , , .
- 1995. Conifer seedling distribution in relation to microsite conditions in a Central New-York forested minerotrophic peatland. Canadian Journal of Forest Research-Revue Canadienne de Recherche Forestiere 25: 261–269. , .
- 2000. Bryogeography and conservation of bryophytes. In: ShawAJ, GoffinetB, eds. Bryophyte biology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 403–448. , .
- 1977. Seed germination in response to diurnal fluctuations of temperature. Nature 267: 147–149. , , .
- 1990. Bryophytes interactions with other plants. Botanical Journal of Linnean Society 104: 79–98. , .
- 2006. Preliminary study on allelopathic activity of bryophytes under laboratory conditions using the sandwich method. Journal of the Hattori Botanical Laboratory 100: 517–525. , , , , .
- 2004. Mosses mediate grazer impacts on grass abundance in arctic ecosystems. Functional Ecology 18: 77–86. , .
- 1994. Analysis of phenolic plant metabolites. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications. , .
- 2002. Regeneration by seeds in alpine meadow and heath vegetation in sub-arctic Finland. Journal of Vegetation Science 13: 217–226. , .
- 2001. Production and microtopography of bog bryophytes: response to warming and water-table manipulations. Oecologia 128: 557–565. , , , , .
- 2000. Response of bog and fen plant communities to warming and water-table manipulations. Ecology 81: 3464–3478. , , , , , .
- 2000. Effects of bryophytes and lichens on seedling emergence of alvar plants: evidence from greenhouse experiments. Oikos 88: 603–611. .
- 1999. Bryophytes, lichens and phanerogams in an alvar grassland: relationships at different scales and contributions to plant community pattern. Ecography 22: 40–52. , , .
- 2009. Mixed effect models and extensions in ecology with R. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , , , .