Carbon and nitrogen dynamics during forest stand development: a global synthesis
Article first published online: 17 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 4, pages 977–989, June 2011
How to Cite
Yang, Y., Luo, Y. and Finzi, A. C. (2011), Carbon and nitrogen dynamics during forest stand development: a global synthesis. New Phytologist, 190: 977–989. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03645.x
- Issue published online: 11 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 17 FEB 2011
- Received: 25 October 2010, Accepted: 3 January 2011
- 2005. Carbon losses from all soils across England and Wales 1978–2003. Nature 437: 245–248. , , , , .
- 2009. A global meta-analysis of soil exchangeable cations, pH, carbon, and nitrogen with afforestation. Ecological Applications 19: 2228–2241. , , .
- 2000. Do forests receive occult inputs of nitrogen? Ecosystems 3: 321–331. , , .
- 2008. Forests and climate change: forcings, feedbacks, and the climate benefits of forests. Science 320: 1444–1449. .
- 1993. Rapid N2 fixation in pines, alder, and locust: evidence from the sandbox ecosystem study. Ecology 74: 583–598. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Accelerate synthesis in ecology and environmental sciences. BioScience 59: 699–701. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Principles of terrestrial ecosystem ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , .
- 1981. Changes in forest floor organic matter and nutrient content following clear cutting in northern hardwoods. Ecology 62: 41–48. .
- 2007. Recuperation of nitrogen cycling in Amazonian forests following agricultural abandonment. Nature 447: 995–998. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Temperature sensitivity of soil carbon decomposition and feedbacks to climate change. Nature 440: 165–173. , .
- 2010. Impact of tropical land-use change on soil organic carbon stocks – a meta-analysis. Global Change Biology. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2010.02336.x. , , .
- 2001. Forest litter production, chemistry, and decomposition following two years of free-air CO2 enrichment. Ecology 82: 470–484. , , , , .
- 2006. Progressive nitrogen limitation of ecosystem processes under elevated CO2 in a warm-temperate forest. Ecology 87: 15–25. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Plant rhizospheric N processes: what we don’t know and why we should care. Ecology 90: 1512–1519. , .
- 2007. The legacy of harvest and fire on ecosystem carbon storage in a north temperate forest. Global Change Biology 13: 1935–1949. , , , , .
- 1996. Aboveground net primary production decline with stand age: potential causes. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 11: 378–382. , , .
- 2005. Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1965–1978. , , , , .
- 2009. Importance of biomass in the global carbon cycle. Journal of Geophysical Research 114: G00E03, doi: 10.1029/2009JG000935. , , .
- 2003. Nitrogen and climate change. Science 302: 1512–1513. , , , , .
- 2006. Nitrogen cycling during seven years of atmospheric CO2 enrichment in a scrub oak woodland. Ecology 87: 26–40. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Net mineralization of N at deeper soil depths as a potential mechanism for sustained forest production under elevated [CO2]. Global Change Biology 17: 1130–1139. , , , .
- 2000. The vertical distribution of soil organic carbon and its relation to climate and vegetation. Ecological Applications 10: 423–436. , .
- 2001. The distribution of soil nutrients with depth: global patterns and the imprint of plants. Biogeochemistry 53: 51–77. , .
- 2000. Post-disturbance aboveground biomass accumulation in global secondary forests. Ecology 81: 1395–1401. , , .
- 2006. Progressive N limitation in forests: review and implications for long-term responses to elevated CO2. Ecology 87: 64–75. .
- 2006. Returning forests analyzed with the forest identity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 17574–17579. , , , , , .
- 2000. Dynamics of soil nitrogen and carbon accumulation for 61 years after agricultural abandonment. Ecology 81: 88–98. , .
- 2001. Carbon storage and fluxes in ponderosa pine forests at different developmental stages. Global Change Biology 7: 755–777. , , , , .
- 2010. Responses of ecosystem nitrogen cycle to nitrogen addition: a meta-analysis. New Phytologist 189: 1040–1050. , , , , , , , .
- 2006a. Do nitrogen constrain carbon cycling, or does carbon input stimulate nitrogen cycling? Ecology 87: 3–4. , , .
- 2006b. Elevated CO2 stimulates net accumulations of carbon and nitrogen in land ecosystems: a meta-analysis. Ecology 87: 53–63. , , .
- 2004. Progressive nitrogen limitation of ecosystem responses to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide. BioScience 54: 731–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Dynamic disequilibrium of the terrestrial carbon cycle under global change. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 2: 96–104. , .
- 2007. CO2 balance of boreal, temperate, and tropical forests derived from a global database. Global Change Biology 13: 2509–2537. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Old-growth forests as global carbon sinks. Nature 455: 213–215. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Critical analysis of root: shoot ratios in terrestrial biomes. Global Change Biology 11: 1–13. , , .
- 2006. Nitrogen uptake, distribution, turnover, and efficiency of use in a CO2-enriched sweetgum forest. Ecology 87: 5–14. , .
- 1969. The strategy of ecosystem development. Science 164: 262–270. .
- 2006. Succession-driven changes in soil respiration following fire in black spruce stands of interior Alaska. Biogeochemistry 80: 1–20. , , .
- 2007. Concentrations and fluxes of dissolved organic carbon in an age-sequence of white pine forests in Southern Ontario, Canada. Biogeochemistry 86: 1–17. , , , , , .
- 2004. Changes in soil carbon with stand age – an evaluation of a modeling method with empirical data. Global Change Biology 10: 2078–2091. , , , .
- 2004. Successional changes in soil nitrogen availability, non-symbiotic nitrogen fixation and carbon/nitrogen ratios in southern Chilean forest ecosystems. Oecologia 140: 617–625. , , , .
- 2007. Towards a rhizo-centric view of plant–microbial feedbacks under elevated atmospheric CO2. New Phytologist 173: 664–667. .
- 2000. Soil carbon sequestration and land-use change: processes and potential. Global Change Biology 6: 317–327. , .
- 2004. Carbon cycling and storage in world forests: biome patterns related to forest age. Global Change Biology 10: 2052–2077. , .
- R Development Core Team. 2007. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 1992. The global carbon dioxide flux in soil respiration and its relationship to vegetation and climate. Tellus (Series B) 44: 81–99. , .
- 1997. Responses of N-limited ecosystems to increased CO2: a balanced-nutrition, coupled-element-cycle model. Ecological Applications 7: 444–460. , , .
- 2006. Carbon-nitrogen interactions in terrestrial ecosystems in response to rising atmospheric carbon dioxide. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37: 611–636. , , .
- 2004. Loss and recovery of ecosystem carbon pools following stand-replacing wildfire in Michigan jack pine forests. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 34: 1908–1918. , , .
- 2008. Ecosystem disturbance, carbon, and climate. Science 321: 652–653. .
- 1997. Age-related decline in forest productivity: pattern and process. Advances in Ecological Research 27: 213–262. , , .
- 2009. Wood CO2 efflux and foliar respiration for Eucalyptus in Hawaii and Brazil. Tree Physiology 29: 1213–1222. , , , , , .
- 1997. Equilibration of the terrestrial water, nitrogen, and carbon cycles. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 8280–8283. , , .
- 2000. The potential for carbon sequestration through reforestation of abandoned tropical agricultural and pasture lands. Restoration Ecology 4: 394–407. , , .
- 1984. Density, biomass, productivity, and nutrient-cycling changes during stand development in Wave-regenerated Balsam Fir forests. Ecological Monographs 54: 165–186. .
- 1983. Terrestrial plant communities. In: LemonER, ed. CO2 and Plants. American Association for the Advancement of Science selected symposium. Boulder, CO, USA: Westview Press, 177–222. , .
- 2008. Temporal changes in soil carbon and nitrogen storage in a hybrid poplar chronosequence in northern Alberta. Geoderma 144: 613–619. , .
- 2004. Biomass accumulation and soil nitrogen availability in an 87-yr-old Populus grandidentata chronosequence. Forest Ecology and Management 191: 121–127. , , .
- 2006. The vertical and horizontal distribution of roots in northern hardwood stands of varying age. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 36: 450–459. , , .
- 2006. The importance of age-related decline in forest NPP for modeling regional carbon balances. Ecological Applications 16: 1555–1574. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Carbon and nitrogen cycling during old-field succession: constraints on plant and microbial biomass. Biogeochemistry 11: 111–129. , , , .
- 2006. Old-growth forests can accumulate carbon in soils. Science 314: 1417. , , , , , , , .