Differential contributions to the transcriptome of duplicated genes in response to abiotic stresses in natural and synthetic polyploids
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 4, pages 1045–1057, June 2011
How to Cite
Dong, S. and Adams, K. L. (2011), Differential contributions to the transcriptome of duplicated genes in response to abiotic stresses in natural and synthetic polyploids. New Phytologist, 190: 1045–1057. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03650.x
- Issue online: 11 MAY 2011
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2011
- Received: 31 October 2010, Accepted: 3 January 2011
- 2003. Genes duplicated by polyploidy show unequal contributions to the transcriptome and organ-specific reciprocal silencing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 4649–4654. , , , .
- 2007. Evolution of duplicate gene expression in polyploid and hybrid plants. Journal of Heredity. 98: 136–141. .
- 2004. Organ-specific silencing of duplicated genes in a newly synthesized cotton allotetraploid. Genetics 168: 2217–2226. , , .
- 2005. Allele-specific, bidirectional silencing of an alcohol dehydrogenase gene in different organs of interspecific diploid cotton hybrids. Genetics 171: 2139–2142. , .
- 2006. Numerous and rapid nonstochastic modifications of gene products in newly synthesized Brassica napus allotetraploids. Genetics 173: 1101–1113. , , , , , , .
- 2009. The allotetraploid Arabidopsis thaliana–Arabidopsis lyrata subsp. petraea as an alternative model system for the study of polyploidy in plants. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 281: 421–435. , , .
- 2006. Homoeologous gene silencing in hexaploid wheat. Plant Journal 47: 897–906. , , .
- 2010. Non-additive gene regulation in a Citrus allotetraploid somatic hybrid between C. reticulata Blanco and C. limon (L.) Burm. Heredity 105: 299–308. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Expression and inheritance of sporophytic self-incompatibility in synthetic allohexaploid Senecio cambrensis (Asteraceae). New Phytologist 186: 251–261. , .
- 2010a. Characterization of duplicate gene evolution in the recent natural allopolyploid Tragopogon miscellus by next-generation sequencing and Sequenom iPLEX MassARRAY genotyping. Molecular Ecology 19(Suppl. 1): 132–146. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Gene loss and silencing in Tragopogon miscellus (Asteraceae): comparison of natural and synthetic allotetraploids. Heredity 103: 73–81. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010b. Tissue-specific silencing of homoeologs in natural populations of the recent allopolyploid Tragopogon mirus. New Phytologist 186: 175–183. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Reciprocal silencing, transcriptional bias and functional divergence of homeologs in polyploid cotton (Gossypium). Genetics 182: 503–517. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Transcriptomic changes following recent natural hybridization and allopolyploidy in the salt marsh species Spartina × townsendii and Spartina anglica (Poaceae). New Phytologist 186: 161–174. , , .
- 2006. Mechanisms of genomic rearrangements and gene expression changes in plant polyploids. Bioessays 28: 240–252. , .
- 2000. Phenotypic instability and rapid gene silencing in newly formed Arabidopsis allotetraploids. Plant Cell 12: 1551–1567. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Quantitative analysis of transcript accumulation from genes duplicated by polyploidy using cDNA-SSCP. BioTechniques 34: 726–734. , .
- 2006. Expression pattern shifts following duplication indicative of subfunctionalization and neofunctionalization in regulatory genes of Arabidopsis. Molecular Biology and Evolution 23: 469–478. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Heat shock protein expression in thermotolerant and thermosensitive lines of cotton. Plant Cell Reports 8: 37–40. , .
- 2010. Evolutionary rate variation, genomic dominance and duplicate gene expression evolution during allotetraploid cotton speciation. New Phytologist 186: 184–193. , .
- 1999. Preservation of duplicate genes by complementary, degenerative mutations. Genetics 151: 1531–1545. , , , , , .
- 2007. Genomic changes in resynthesized Brassica napus and their effect on gene expression and phenotype. Plant Cell 19: 3403–3417. , , , , .
- 2007. Divergence in expression between duplicated genes in Arabidopsis. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 2298–2309. , , .
- 2004. Allelic variation of gene expression in maize hybrids. Plant Cell 16: 1707–1716. , , , , .
- 2009. GhZFP1, a novel CCCH-type zinc finger protein from cotton, enhances salt stress tolerance and fungal disease resistance in transgenic tobacco by interacting with GZIRD21A and GZIPR5. New Phytologist 183: 62–75. , , , , , , .
- 2007. External factors accelerate expression divergence between duplicate genes. Trends in Genetics 23: 162–166. , , .
- 2009. Small RNAs serve as a genetic buffer against genomic shock in Arabidopsis interspecific hybrids and allopolyploids. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 17835–17840. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Transcriptome shock after interspecific hybridization in Senecio is ameliorated by genome duplication. Current Biology 16: 1652–1659. , , , , , .
- 2005. Development of anonymous cDNA microarrays to study changes to the Senecio floral transcriptome during hybrid speciation. Molecular Ecology 14: 2493–2510. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Partitioned expression of duplicated genes during development and evolution of a single cell in a polyploid plant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 6191–6195. , , , , , .
- 2008. Molecular cloning, expression profile and promoter analysis of a novel ethylene responsive transcription factor gene GhERF4 from cotton (Gossypium hirsutum). Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 46: 46–53. , .
- 2002. Gene loss, silencing and activation in a newly synthesized wheat allotetraploid. Genetics 160: 1651–1659. , , .
- 2007. The AtGenExpress global stress expression data set: protocols, evaluation and model data analysis of UV-B light, drought and cold stress responses. Plant Journal 50: 347–363. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Transcriptional divergence of the duplicated oxidative stress-responsive genes in the Arabidopsis genome. Plant Journal 41: 212–220. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Chromatin regulation functions in plant abiotic stress responses. Plant Cell and Environment 33: 604–611. , , , .
- 2001. Heat stress induces the synthesis of a new form of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase activase in cotton leaves. Planta 214: 117–125. , , .
- 2001. Protein-coding genes are epigenetically regulated in Arabidopsis polyploids. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 6753–6758. , .
- 2008. Rapid chromosome evolution in recently formed polyploids in Tragopogon (Asteraceae). PLoS ONE 3: e3353. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Polyploid formation in cotton is not accompanied by rapid genomic changes. Genome 44: 321–330. , , , , .
- 1998. Rapid genomic changes in newly synthesized amphiploids of Triticum and Aegilops. II. Changes in low-copy coding DNA sequences. Genome 41: 535–542. , , .
- 2010. Histone methylation in higher plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61: 395–420. , , , .
- 2007. Expression partitioning between genes duplicated by polyploidy under abiotic stress and during organ development. Current Biology 17: 1669–1674. , .
- 2006. Patterns of sequence loss and cytosine methylation within a population of newly resynthesized Brassica napus allopolyploids. Plant Physiology 140: 336–348. , , , , , .
- 2002. Remodeling of DNA methylation and phenotypic and transcriptional changes in synthetic Arabidopsis allotetraploids. Plant Physiology 129: 733–746. , , , , , .
- 2010. Newly synthesized wheat allohexaploids display progenitor-dependent meiotic stability and aneuploidy but structural genomic additivity. New Phytologist 186: 86–101. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. The expression and anaerobic induction of alcohol dehydrogenase in cotton. Biochemical Genetics 32: 279–300. , , .
- 2008. Novel cotton homeobox gene and its expression profiling in root development and in response to stresses and phytohormones. Acta Biochimica et Biophysica Sinica 40: 78–84. , , , , , .
- 2009. Altered circadian rhythms regulate growth vigour in hybrids and allopolyploids. Nature 457: 327–331. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Understanding mechanisms of novel gene expression in polyploids. Trends in Genetics 19: 141–147. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Rapid structural and epigenetic reorganization near transposable elements in hybrid and allopolyploid genomes in Spartina. New Phytologist 184: 1003–1015. , , , , , .
- 2004. Flowering time divergence and genomic rearrangements in resynthesized Brassica polyploids (Brassicaceae). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 82: 675–688. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Nonadditive expression of homoeologous genes is established upon polyploidization in hexaploid wheat. Genetics 181: 1147–1157. , , , , .
- 2004. Isolation and characterization of an ERF-like gene from Gossypium barbadense. Plant Science 167: 1383–1389. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Genomic expression dominance in allopolyploids. BMC Biology 7: 18. , , .
- 2003. Effects of reunited diverged regulatory hierarchies in allopolyploids and species hybrids. Trends in Genetics 19: 597–600. , .
- 2000. Novel flowering time variation in the resynthesized polyploid Brassica napus. Journal of Heredity 91: 242–246. , .
- 2003. Rate variation among nuclear genes and the age of polyploidy in Gossypium. Molecular Biology Evolution 20: 633–643. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Sequence elimination and cytosine methylation are rapid and reproducible responses of the genome to wide hybridization and allopolyploidy in wheat. Plant Cell 13: 1749–1759. , , , , .
- 2007. Small RNAs as big players in plant abiotic stress responses and nutrient deprivation. Trends in Plant Science 12: 301–309. , , , .
- 2006. Evolution and expression of homeologous loci in Tragopogon miscellus (Asteraceae), a recent and reciprocally formed allopolyploid. Genetics 173: 1599–1611. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. ‘Omics’ analyses of regulatory networks in plant abiotic stress responses. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 132–138. , , , .
- 2006a. Nonadditive regulation of FRI and FLC loci mediates flowering-time variation in Arabidopsis allopolyploids. Genetics 173: 965–974. , , , .
- 2006b. Genomewide nonadditive gene regulation in Arabidopsis allotetraploids. Genetics 172: 507–517. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Stochastic and epigenetic changes of gene expression in Arabidopsis polyploids. Genetics 167: 1961–1973. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006c. A novel MAP kinase gene in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.), GhMAPK, is involved in response to diverse environmental stresses. Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 40: 325–332. , , , , .
- 2000. Genome evolution in polyploids. Plant Molecular Biology 42: 225–249. .
- 2003. Polyploidy and the evolutionary history of cotton. Advances in Agronomy 78: 139–186. , .
- 2009. The frequency of polyploid speciation in vascular plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 13875–13879. , , , , , .
- 2009. Differential expression of duplicated peroxidase genes in the allotetraploid Brassica napus. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 47: 653–656. , , , , , .
- 2003. cDNA cloning and characterization of a cotton peptide methionine sulfoxide reductase (cMsrA). Mitochondrial DNA 14: 303–310. , , , , , .
- 2009. Evolution of stress-regulated gene expression in duplicate genes of Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genetics 5: e1000581. , , , .