Differential regulation of a MYB transcription factor is correlated with transgenerational epigenetic inheritance of trichome density in Mimulus guttatus
Article first published online: 25 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 1, pages 251–263, July 2011
How to Cite
Scoville, A. G., Barnett, L. L., Bodbyl-Roels, S., Kelly, J. K. and Hileman, L. C. (2011), Differential regulation of a MYB transcription factor is correlated with transgenerational epigenetic inheritance of trichome density in Mimulus guttatus. New Phytologist, 191: 251–263. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03656.x
- Issue published online: 2 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 25 FEB 2011
- Received: 14 November 2010, Accepted: 10 January 2011
- 1999. Transgenerational induction of defences in animals and plants. Nature 401: 60–63. , , .
- 1993. The cost of defense against herbivores: an experimental study of trichome production in Brassica rapa. American Naturalist 141: 338–350. , .
- 1997. Genetic control of flower shape in Antirrhinum majus. Development 124: 1387–1392. , , .
- 1997. Gapped Blast and Psi-Blast: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Research 25: 3389–3402. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Epigenetic transgenerational actions of endocrine disruptors and male fertility. Science 308: 1466–1469. , , , .
- 2004. Corolla morphology facilitates both autogamy and bumble bee pollination in Mimulus Guttatus. International Journal of Plant Sciences 165: 1039–1045. , .
- 2007. The true story of the HD-Zip family. Trends in Plant Science 12: 419–426. , , , .
- 2007. Control of cell and petal morphogenesis by R2R3 MYB transcription factors. Development 134: 1691–1701. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Positive feedback in eukaryotic gene networks: cell differentiation by graded to binary response conversion. EMBO Journal 20: 2528–2535. , , .
- 2006. Glucose metabolism is altered in the adequately-nourished grand-offspring (F3 generation) of rats malnourished during gestation and perinatal life. Diabetologia 49: 1117–1119. , , .
- 2009. Nongenetic inheritance and its evolutionary implications. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 40: 103–125. , .
- 2010. Experimental alteration of DNA methylation affects the phenotypic plasticity of ecologically relevant traits in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolutionary Ecology 24: 541–553. , , , .
- 2008. Epigenetics for ecologists. Ecology Letters 11: 106–115. , , .
- 2007. Paramutation: from maize to mice. Cell 128: 641–645. .
- 2000. Paramutation in maize. Plant Molecular biology 43: 121–145. , , .
- 2006. The MYB transcription factor superfamily of Arabidopsis: expression analysis and phylogenetic comparison with the rice MYB family. Plant Molecular biology 60: 107–124. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Transgenerational epigenetic imprints on mate preference. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 5942–5946. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Germ-line epigenetic modification of the murine Avy allele by nutritional supplementation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 17308–17312. , , , .
- 1999. An epigenetic mutation responsible for natural variation in floral symmetry. Nature 401: 157–161. , , .
- 2010. Transgenerational epigenetic inheritance: more questions than answers. Genome Research 20: 1623–1628. , .
- 2004a. Muscle: a multiple sequence alignment method with reduced time and space complexity. BMC Bioinformatics 5: 1–19. .
- 2004b. Muscle: multiple sequence alignment with high accuracy and high throughput. Nucleic Acids Research 32: 1792–1797. .
- 2000. No benefit of glandular trichome production in natural populations of Datura wrightii? Oecologia 123: 57–65. , .
- 1994. Heritable effects of 5-azacytidine treatments on the growth and development of flax (Linum usitatissimum) genotrophs and genotypes. Genome 37: 1–11. .
- 2005. DNA hypomethylation in 5-azacytidine-induced early-flowering lines of flax. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 111: 136–149. , , , .
- 2000. Mosaic analysis of GL2 gene expression and cell layer autonomy during the specification of Arabidopsis leaf trichomes. Genesis 28: 68–74. , , .
- 2002. Role of DIVARICATA in the control of dorsoventral asymmetry in Antirrhinum flowers. Genes and Development 16: 880–891. , .
- 2010. Analysis of purified glabra3-shapeshifter trichomes reveals a role for NOECK in regulating early trichome morpholgenic events. Plant Journal 64: 304–317. , .
- 1998. Development of several epidermal cell types can be specified by the same MYB-related plant transcription factor. Development 125: 3497–3508. , , .
- 2008. The HD-Zip IV Gene GaHOX1 from cotton is a functional homologue of the Arabidopsis GLABRA2. Physiologia Plantarum 134: 174–182. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Pleiotropic quantitative trait loci contribute to population divergence in traits associated with life-history variation in Mimulus guttatus. Genetics 172: 1829–1844. , , .
- 2006. Divergent selection on flowering time contributes to local adaptation in Mimulus guttatus populations. Evolution 60: 2466–2477. , .
- 2007. Within and between generation phenotypic plasticity in trichome density of Mimulus guttatus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20: 2092–2100. .
- 2001. MRBAYES: bayesian inference of phylogeny. Bioinformatics 17: 754–755. , .
- 2004. Plant trichomes: a model for cell differentiation. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 5: 471–480. .
- 2005. Two WD-repeat genes from cotton are functional homologues of the Arabidopsis thaliana TRANSPARENT TESTA GLABRA1 (TTG1) gene. Plant Molecular biology 57: 67–81. , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis TRANSPARENT TESTA GLABRA2 is directly regulated by R2R3 MYB transcription factors and is involved in regulation of GLABRA2 transcription in epidermal differentiation. Plant Cell 19: 2531–2543. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. A genetic regulatory network in the development of trichomes and root hairs. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 365–386. , , , .
- 2008. Soft inheritance: challenging the modern synthesis. Genetics and Molecular Biology 31: 389–395. , .
- 1995. The adaptive advantage of phenotypic memory in changing environments. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 350: 133–141. , , , , , .
- 2009. Transgenerational epigenetic inheritance: prevelence, mechanisms, and implications for the study of heredity and evolution. The Quarterly Review of Biology 84: 131–176. , .
- 1997. Hypermethylated superman epigenetic alleles in Arabidopsis. Science 277: 1100–1103. , .
- 2007. A truncated MYB transcription factor from Antirrhinum majus regulates epidermal cell outgrowth. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 1515–1524. , , .
- 2008. Transcriptional profiling of mature Arabidopsis trichomes reveals that NOECK encodes the MIXTA-like transcriptional regulator MYB106. Plant Physiology 148: 1583–1602. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Epigenome dynamics: a quantitative genetics perspective. Nature Reviews Genetics 9: 883–890. , , .
- 2009. Assessing the impact of transgenerational epigenetic variation on complex traits. PLoS Genetics 5: 1–11. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Meiotically and mitotically stable inheritance of DNA hypomethylation induced by ddm1 mutation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 151: 831–838. , , , .
- 2004. Epialleles via DNA methylation: consequences for plant evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19: 309–314. , .
- 2003. How do cells know what they want to be when they grow up? Lessons from epidermal patterning in Arabidopsis. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 403–430. , , .
- 1973. The role of trichomes in plant defense. Quarterly Review of Biology 48: 3–15. .
- 2004. Role of transposable elements in heterochromatin and epigenetic control. Nature 430: 471–476. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Distinct mechanisms determine transposon inheritance and methylation via small interfering RNA and histone modification. PLoS Biology 1: 420–428. , , , , .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , .
- 2009. The MYB transcription factor GhMYB25 regulates early fibre and trichome development. Plant Journal 59: 52–62. , , , , .
- 2003. MacClade, version 4.06. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , .
- 2006. A naturally occurring epigenetic mutation in a gene encoding an SBP-Box transcription factor inhibits tomato fruit ripening. Nature Genetics 38: 948–952. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. RNAi-mediated pathways in the nucleus. Nature Reviews Genetics 6: 24–35. , .
- 1998. Costs of resistance to natural enemies in field populations of the annual plant Arabidopsis thaliana. American Naturalist 151: 20–28. .
- 1980. Prologue: Some thoughts on the history of the evolutionary synthesis. In: Mayr E, Provine WB, eds. The evolutionary synthesis: perspectives on the unification of biology. Cambridge, MA, USA: Harvard University Press, 1–48. .
- 1982. The growth of biological thought. Cambridge, MA, USA: Harvard University Press. .
- 2006. Adverse effects of the model environmental estrogen Diethylstilbestrol are transmitted to subsequent generations. Endocrinology 147: S11–S17. , , .
- 2002. Entopically additive expression of GLABRA2 alters the frequency and spacing of trichome initiation. Plant Journal 29: 359–369. , , , , .
- 1999. Heterologous MYB genes distinct from GL1 enhance trichome production when overexpressed in Nicoliana tabacum. Development 126: 671–682. , , , .
- 2005. Development of three different cell types is associated with the activity of a specific MYB transcription factor in the ventral petal of Antirrhinum majus flowers. Development 132: 359–370. , , , , .
- 2004. Creating a two-dimensional pattern de novo during Arabidopsis trichome and root hair initiation. Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 14: 422–427. , .
- 2005. MYB-bHLH-WD40 protein complex and the evolution of cellular diversity. Trends in Plant Science 10: 63–70. , .
- 2006. Meiotically stable natural epialleles of Sadhu, a novel Arabidopsis retroposon. PLoS Genetics 2: 270–281. , , , , , .
- 2005. Epigenetics and plant evolution. New Phytologist 168: 81–91. , .
- 2000. Quantification on the lightcycler. In: Meuer S, Wittwer C, Nakagawara K, eds. Rapid cycle real-time PCR, methods and applications. Heidelberg: Springer Press, 21–34. .
- 2006. RNA-mediated non-mendelian inheritance of an epigenetic change in the mouse. Nature 441: 469–474. , , , , , .
- 1994. The GLABRA2 gene encodes a homeo domain protein required for normal trichome development in Arabidopsis. Genes & Development 8: 1388–1399. , , .
- 2006. Inherited epigenetic variation – revisiting soft inheritance. Nature Reviews Genetics 7: 395–401. .
- 2008. Population epigenetics. Current Opinion in Genetics & Development 18: 221–226. .
- 2010. What role does heritable epigenetic variation play in phenotypic evolution? BioScience 60: 232–237. , , .
- 1999. Trichomes on pigeonpea (Cajanus Cajan (L.) Millsp.) and two wild Cajanus spp. Crop Science 39: 564–569. , , .
- 1996. Incidence and consequences of inherited environmental effects. Annual Review of Ecology & Systematics 27: 451–476. .
- 1990. A single treatment of rice seedlings with 5-Azacytidine induces heritable dwarfism and undermethylation of genomic DNA. Molecular and General Genetics 220: 441–447. , , , , .
- 2003. Cell-fate specification in the epidermis: a common patterning mechanism in the root and shoot. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 74–78. .
- 2004. A network of interacting factors triggering different cell fates. Plant Cell 16: 2258–2263. .
- 2006. Trichomes: different regulatory networks lead to convergent structures. Trends in Plant Science 11: 274–280. , .
- 2007. Distinct and overlapping roles of single-repeat MYB genes in root epidermal patterning. Developmental Biology 311: 566–578. , , , , .
- 2003. Identification of GhMYB109 encoding a R2R3 MYB transcription factor that expressed specifically in fiber initials and elongating fibers of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) – Gene Structure and Expression 1630: 25–34. , , , , .
- 1998. Control of GL2 expression in Arabidopsis leaves and trichomes. Development 125: 1161–1171. , , , .
- 2000. Progress in the molecular genetic analysis of trichome initiation and morphogenesis in Arabidopsis. Trends in Plant Science 5: 214–219. , , .
- Team RDC. 2008. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 2002. Accurate normalization of real-time quantitative RT-PCR data by geometric averaging of multiple internal control genes. Genome Biology 3: 1–12. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Epigenetic natural variation in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Biology 5: 1617–1629. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Stress-induced DNA methylation changes and their heritability in asexual dandelions. New Phytologist 185: 1108–1118. , , , .
- 2008. Arabidopsis transient expression analysis reveals the activation of GLABRA2 may require concurrent binding of GLABRA1 and GLABRA3 to the promoter of GLABRA2. Plant and Cell Physiology 49: 1792–1804. , .
- 2007. TRICHOMELESS1 regulates trichome patterning by suppressing GLABRA1 in Arabidopsis. Development 134: 3873–3882. , , , , .
- 2004. Control of plant trichome development by a cotton fiber MYB gene. Plant Cell 16: 2323–2334. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The role of genes of large effect on inbreeding depression in Mimulus guttatus. Evolution 53: 1678–1691. .
- 2008. Mimulus is an emerging model system for the integration of ecological and genomic studies. Heredity 100: 220–230. , , , , , .
- 2008. The TTG1-bHLH-MYB complex controls trichome cell fate and patterning through direct targeting of regulatory loci. Development 135: 1991–1999. , , , , .
- 2006. Genetic algorithm approaches for the phylogenetic analysis of large biological sequence datasets under the maximum likelihood criterion. PhD thesis, University of Texas, Austin, TX, USA. .