Vacuolar two-pore K+ channels act as vacuolar osmosensors
Article first published online: 3 MAR 2011
© 2011 The Author. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 1, pages 84–91, July 2011
How to Cite
Maathuis, F. J. M. (2011), Vacuolar two-pore K+ channels act as vacuolar osmosensors. New Phytologist, 191: 84–91. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03664.x
- Issue published online: 2 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 3 MAR 2011
- Received: 1 December 2010, Accepted: 16 January 2011
- 1991. Hydrostatic and osmotic pressure activated channel in plant vacuole. Biophysical Journal 60: 1326–1336. , .
- 2005. TPK1 is a vacuolar ion channel different from the Slow-Vacuolar cation channel. Plant Physiology 139: 417–424. , , , , , .
- 2009. Potassium channels in barley: cloning, functional characterization and expression analyses in relation to leaf growth and development. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1761–1777. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Structure and function of two-pore-domain K+ channels: contributions from genetic model organisms. Trends in Pharmacological Sciences 26: 361–367. , , , , .
- 2005. A phospholipid sensor controls mechanogating of the K+ channel TREK-1. EMBO Journal 24: 44–53. , , , , , .
- 1991. Stretch-activated chloride, potassium, and calcium channels coexisting in plasma membranes of guard cells of Vicia faba L. Planta 186: 143–153. , .
- 2008. Periplasmic loops of osmosensory transporter ProP in Escherichia coli are sensitive to osmolality. Biochemistry 47: 13584–13593. , , , , , .
- 2004. Identification and characterization of stretch-activated ion channels in pollen protoplasts. Plant Physiology 135: 1398–1406. , .
- 2007. The two-pore channel TPK1 gene encodes the vacuolar K+ conductance and plays a role in K+ homeostasis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 10726–10731. , , , , .
- 2008. Effect of water content components on desiccation and recovery in Sphagnum mosses. Annals of Botany 101: 165–173. , .
- 2008. Characterization of a tobacco TPK-type K+ channel as a novel tonoplast K+ channel using yeast tonoplasts. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 1911–1920. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Two MscS homologs provide mechanosensitive channel activities in the Arabidopsis root. Current Biology 18: 730–734. , , , , .
- 2010. Rice two pore K+ channels express in different types of vacuole. Plant Cell. doi: 1-.1105/tpc.110.081463. , , .
- 2008. TPK1, a Ca2+-regulated Arabidopsis vacuole two-pore K+ channel is activated by 14-3-3 proteins. Plant Journal 54: 963–970. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Osmotic effects on the electrical properties of Arabidopsis root hair vacuoles in situ. Plant Physiology 134: 352–360. .
- 2000. The tonoplast functioning as the master switch for circadian regulation of crassulacean acid metabolism. Planta 211: 761–769. .
- 2009. Physiological functions of mineral macronutrients. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 250–258. .
- 1998. Cell marking in Arabidopsis thaliana and its application to patch-clamp studies. Plant Journal 15: 843–851. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Osmotic effects on vacuolar ion release in guard cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 1135–1140. .
- 2005. The vacuolar Ca2+-activated channel TPC1 regulates germination and stomatal movement. Nature 434: 404–408. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The barley two-pore K+-channel HvKCO1 interacts with 14-3-3 proteins in an isoform specific manner. Plant Science 169: 612–619. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Activation of K+ channels in the plasma-membrane of Arabidopsis by ATP produced photosynthetically. Plant Cell 5: 477–484. , .
- 2003. Osmotic stress tolerance of transgenic tobacco expressing a gene encoding a membrane-located receptor-like protein from tobacco plants. Plant Physiology 131: 454–462. , , , , .
- 2008. Analysis of the Arabidopsis histidine kinase ATHK1 reveals a connection between vegetative osmotic stress sensing and seed maturation. Plant Cell 20: 1101–1117. , , .
- 2003. Influence of erythrocyte shape on the rate of Ca2+-induced scrambling of phosphatidylserine. Molecular Membrane Biology 20: 83–91. , , , .
- 1999. Osmosensing by bacteria: signals and membrane-based sensors. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews 63: 230–262. .
- 2007. Osmo-sensitive and stretch-activated calcium-permeable channels in Vicia faba guard cells are regulated by actin dynamics. Plant Physiology 143: 1140–1151. , , .
- 2003. The transient receptor potential channel on the yeast vacuole is mechanosensitive. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 7105–7110. , , , , , .