Changes in the structural composition and reactivity of Acer rubrum leaf litter tannins exposed to warming and altered precipitation: climatic stress-induced tannins are more reactive
Article first published online: 4 MAR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 1, pages 132–145, July 2011
How to Cite
Tharayil, N., Suseela, V., Triebwasser, D. J., Preston, C. M., Gerard, P. D. and Dukes, J. S. (2011), Changes in the structural composition and reactivity of Acer rubrum leaf litter tannins exposed to warming and altered precipitation: climatic stress-induced tannins are more reactive. New Phytologist, 191: 132–145. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03667.x
- Issue published online: 2 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 4 MAR 2011
- Received: 2 December 2010, Accepted: 12 January 2011
- 1982. Temperature-dependence of intracellular pH in higher-plant cells – a P-31 nuclear magnetic-resonance study on maize root-tips. Planta 156: 579–582. , , , .
- 2004. The SHINE clade of AP2 domain transcription factors activates wax biosynthesis, alters cuticle properties, and confers drought tolerance when overexpressed in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 2463–2480. , , , , , .
- 2008. FTIR spectroscopy can be used as a screening tool for organic matter quality in regenerating cutover peatlands. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 40: 515–527. , , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Astringency of leaves. 3. Systematic aspects of astringent tannins of Acer species. Phytochemistry 17: 1945–1948. .
- 2010. Interaction between grape-derived proanthocyanidins and cell wall material. 1. Effect on proanthocyanidin composition and molecular mass. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 58: 2520–2528. , , .
- 2004. Characterization of structure-dependent functional properties of lignin with infrared spectroscopy. Industrial Crops and Products 20: 205–218. , , , .
- 2000. Changes to mineral N cycling and microbial communities in black spruce humus after additions of (NH4)2SO4 and condensed tannins extracted from Kalmia angustifolia and balsam fir. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 32: 1227–1240. , , .
- 1998. Occurrence of tannins in leaves of beech trees (Fagus sylvatica) along an ecological gradient, detected by histochemical and ultrastructural analyses. New Phytologist 138: 469–479. , , , .
- 2000. Biogeochemistry – soil warming and organic carbon content. Nature 408: 789–790. , , .
- 2007. Hydrolyzable tannin structures influence relative globular and random coil protein binding strengths. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 55: 4554–4561. , , , , .
- 2009. The effects of plant defensive chemistry on nutrient availability predict reproductive success in a mammal. Ecology 90: 711–719. , , , .
- 2005. Proanthocyanidins – a final frontier in flavonoid research? New Phytologist 165: 9–28. , , .
- 2005. Use of infrared microspectroscopy in plant growth and development. Applied Spectroscopy Reviews 40: 301–326. , , .
- 1987. The adsorption of tannic-acid on hydrophilic cotton and its effect on the electrokinetic properties of this cellulose fiber in a cationic dye solution. Acta Polymerica 38: 96–100. , , , .
- 2001. Influence of balsam poplar tannin fractions on carbon and nitrogen dynamics in Alaskan taiga floodplain soils. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 33: 1827–1839. , , , .
- 1976. Hindered rotation and helical structures in natural procyanidins. Journal of the Chemical Society-Chemical Communications: 627–629. , , .
- 2006. Composition and cellular localization of tannins in Cabernet Sauvignon skins during growth. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 54: 9465–9471. , , .
- 2009. Soil moisture surpasses elevated CO2 and temperature in importance as a control on soil carbon dynamics in a multi-factor climate change experiment. Plant and Soil 319: 85–94. , , .
- 2001. Biosynthesis and subcellular distribution of hydrolyzable tannins. Phytochemistry 57: 915–927. , , , .
- 1999. Drift and transmission FT-IR spectroscopy of forest soils: an approach to determine decomposition processes of forest litter. Vibrational Spectroscopy 19: 413–417. , .
- 1987. Radial diffusion method for determining tannin in plant-extracts. Journal of Chemical Ecology 13: 437–449. .
- 1980. Condensed tannin purification and characterization of tannin-associated proteins. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 28: 947–952. , .
- 1998. Mechanisms of protein precipitation for two tannins, pentagalloyl glucose and epicatechin(16) (4 -> 8) catechin (procyanidin). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 46: 2590–2595. , , .
- 2002. Determination of hydrolyzable tannins (gallotannins and ellagitannins) after reaction with potassium iodate. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 50: 1785–1790. , , , .
- 1974. Polyphenol-Protein Interactions. Biochemical Journal 139: 285–288. .
- 1992. The dilemma of plants – to grow or defend. Quarterly Review of Biology 67: 283–335. , .
- 2010. Opinion on the possible role of flavonoids as energy escape valves: novel tools for nature’s Swiss army knife? Plant Science 179: 297–301. , .
- 2004. Tannin signatures of barks, needles, leaves, cones, and wood at the molecular level. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 68: 1293–1307. , .
- 2005. The chemistry behind antioxidant capacity assays. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 53: 1841–1856. , , .
- IPCC. 2007. In: Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, eds. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK & New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- 2010. Effect of latitude on flavonoid biosynthesis in plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 1239–1247. , .
- 2008. Characterization of globular protein solutions by dynamic light scattering, electrophoretic mobility, and viscosity measurements. Langmuir 24: 6866–6872. , , .
- 1992. The enzymatic decomposition of salicin and its derivatives obtained from Salicaceae species. Journal of Natural Products 55: 1204–1212. , .
- 2006. Response of soil C and N transformations to tannin fractions originating from Scots pine and Norway spruce needles. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 38: 1364–1374. , , , , .
- 2008. How do coniferous needle tannins influence C and N transformations in birch humus layer? European Journal of Soil Biology 44: 1–9. , .
- 2009. Determination of proanthocyanidin A2 content in phenolic polymer isolates by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A 1216: 1403–1409. , , , .
- 1996. A Fourier transform infra-red spectroscopic analysis of the character of hydrogen bonds in amorphous cellulose. Polymer 37: 393–399. , .
- 2003a. Tannins in nutrient dynamics of forest ecosystems – a review. Plant and Soil 256: 41–66. , , .
- 2003b. Linking chemical reactivity and protein precipitation to structural characteristics of foliar tannins. Journal of Chemical Ecology 29: 703–730. , , , , .
- 2004. Carbon and nitrogen dynamics in a forest soil amended with purified tannins from different plant species. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 36: 309–321. , , , , .
- 2009. FT-IR study of the changes in carbohydrate chemistry of three New Jersey pine barrens leaf litters during simulated control burning. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 41: 340–347. , , .
- 2004. Antioxidant properties of phenolic compounds: H-atom versus electron transfer mechanism. Journal of Physical Chemistry A 108: 4916–4922. , , , .
- 2010. Impacts of elevated atmospheric CO2 and O-3 on forests: phytochemistry, trophic interactions, and ecosystem dynamics. Journal of Chemical Ecology 36: 2–21. .
- 2009. Enhanced litter input rather than changes in litter chemistry drive soil carbon and nitrogen cycles under elevated CO2: a microcosm study. Global Change Biology 15: 441–453. , , , , , .
- 2005. Effects of elevated concentrations of atmospheric CO2 and tropospheric O-3 on leaf litter production and chemistry in trembling aspen and paper birch communities. Tree Physiology 25: 1511–1522. , , .
- 2003. New perspectives on proanthocyanidin biochemistry and molecular regulation. Phytochemistry 64: 367–383. , , .
- 2000. Characterization of plant carbohydrates and changes in leaf carbohydrate chemistry due to chemical and enzymatic degradation measured by microscopic ATR FT-IR spectroscopy. Applied Spectroscopy 54: 681–686. , , .
- 1986. Effects of phenolic-compounds on nitrification in soil. Soil Science Society of America Journal 50: 920–923. , .
- 1994. Characterization of flavonoid 3′,5′-hydroxylase in microsomal membrane-fraction of Petunia hybrida flowers. Plant Physiology 106: 633–642. , , .
- 2009. Applicability of diffuse reflectance Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy to the chemical analysis of decomposing foliar litter in Canadian forests. Soil Science 174: 130–142. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Linking the B ring hydroxylation pattern of condensed tannins to C, N and P mineralization. A case study using four tannins. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 38: 2794–2802. , , .
- 2001. Elevated CO2, litter quality, and decomposition: a synthesis. Oecologia 127: 153–165. , , , , .
- 2010. CO2 enhancement of forest productivity constrained by limited nitrogen availability. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 19368–19373. , , , , .
- 1986. The conversion of procyanidins and prodelphinidins to cyanidin and delphinidin. Phytochemistry 25: 223–230. , , .
- 1996. Effects of balsam poplar (Populus balsamifera) tannins and low molecular weight phenolics on microbial activity in taiga floodplain soil: implications for changes in N cycling during succession. Canadian Journal of Botany 74: 84–90. , , , , .
- 2008. From genes to ecosystems: the genetic basis of condensed tannins and their role in nutrient regulation in a Populus model system. Ecosystems 11: 1005–1020. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1988. Polyphenol complexation – some thoughts and observations. Phytochemistry 27: 2397–2409. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Evaluation of beta-glucosidase activity as a soil quality indicator for the soil management assessment framework. Soil Science Society of America Journal 74: 107–119. , , , , .
- 2004. Suppression of polyphenol oxidases increases stress tolerance in tomato. Plant Sciences 167: 693–703. , , , .
- 2002. Changes in proanthocyanidin chain length in winelike model solutions. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 50: 2261–2266. , , , , .
- 2006. Concentration and mean degree of polymerization of Rubus ellagitannins evaluated by optimized acid methanolysis. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 54: 4469–4475. , , , , , .
- 2010. Do leaves of plants on phosphorus-impoverished soils contain high concentrations of phenolic defense compounds? Functional Ecology 24: 52–61. , , , , , .
- 2008. Rapid discrimination of extracts of Chinese propolis and poplar buds by FT-IR and 2D IR correlation spectroscopy. Journal of Molecular Structure 883: 48–54. , , , , .