Impacts of drought on leaf respiration in darkness and light in Eucalyptus saligna exposed to industrial-age atmospheric CO2 and growth temperature
Version of Record online: 22 MAR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 190, Issue 4, pages 1003–1018, June 2011
How to Cite
Ayub, G., Smith, R. A., Tissue, D. T. and Atkin, O. K. (2011), Impacts of drought on leaf respiration in darkness and light in Eucalyptus saligna exposed to industrial-age atmospheric CO2 and growth temperature. New Phytologist, 190: 1003–1018. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03673.x
- Issue online: 11 MAY 2011
- Version of Record online: 22 MAR 2011
- Received: 8 December 2010, Accepted: 4 January 2011
- 1989. Respiration and crop productivity. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1994. Plant respiratory responses to the environment and their effects on the carbon balance. In: WilkinsonRE, ed. Plant-environment interactions. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 501–554. .
- 2008. Using temperature-dependent changes in leaf scaling relationships to quantitatively account for thermal acclimation of respiration in a coupled global climate-vegetation model. Global Change Biology 14: 2709–2726. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The hot and the cold: unraveling the variable response of plant respiration to temperature. Functional Plant Biology 32: 87–105. , , , .
- 2000. Leaf respiration of snow gum in the light and dark. Interactions between temperature and irradiance. Plant Physiology 122: 915–923. , , , , .
- 1998a. Light inhibition of leaf respiration: the role of irradiance and temperature. In: MøllerIM, GardeströmP, GliminiusK, GlaserE, eds. Plant mitochondria: from gene to function. Leiden, the Netherlands: Bluckhuys Publishers, 25–32. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998b. Relationship between the inhibition of leaf respiration by light and enhancement of leaf dark respiration following light treatment. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 437–443. , , .
- 2009. The crucial role of plant mitochondria in orchestrating drought tolerance. Annals of Botany 103: 581–597. , .
- 2006. High thermal acclimation potential of both photosynthesis and respiration in two lowland Plantago species in contrast to an alpine congeneric. Global Change Biology 12: 500–515. , , .
- 2003. Thermal acclimation and the dynamic response of plant respiration to temperature. Trends in Plant Science 8: 343–351. , .
- 1980. Nitrate and nitrite reduction. In: StumpfPK, ConnEE, MiflinBJ, eds. The biochemistry of plants. A comprehensive treatise. Volume 5. Amino acids and derivatives. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 115–168. , .
- 2010. Carbon dioxide enrichment inhibits nitrate assimilation in wheat and Arabidopsis. Science 328: 899–903. , , , .
- 1995. The respiratory energy requirements involved in nocturnal carbohydrate export from starch-storing mature source leaves and their contribution to leaf dark respiration. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 1185–1194. , , , , .
- 1994. Respiratory energy requirements and rate of protein turnover in vivo determined by the use of an inhibitor of protein synthesis and a probe to assess its effect. Physiologia Plantarum 92: 585–594. , , , , , .
- 1994. Responses of respiration to increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations. Physiologia Plantarum 90: 427–430. .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 2006. Interactions between the effects of atmospheric CO2 content and P nutrition on photosynthesis in white lupin (Lupinus albus L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 844–853. , .
- 2004. Mechanisms underlying plant resilience to water deficits: prospects for water-saving agriculture. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2365–2384. , .
- 2001. Description of the “TRIFFID” dynamic global vegetation model. In: Hadley Technical Note 24. Bracknell, Berkshire, UK: Hadley Centre, Met Office, 1–16. .
- 1996. Carbon dioxide diffusion inside leaves. Plant Physiology 110: 339–346. , .
- 1982. Modelling of photosynthetic response to environmental conditions. In: LangeOL, NobelPS, OsmondCB, ZieglerH, eds. Encyclopedia of plant physiology. Volume 12B. Physiological plant ecology II. Water relations and carbon assimilation. Berlin, Germany: Springer Verlag, 551–587. ,
- 1997. Understanding the control of metabolism. London, UK: Portland Press. .
- 2006. Keeping a positive carbon balance under adverse conditions: responses of photosynthesis and respiration to water stress. Physiologia Plantarum 127: 343–352. , , , , .
- 2005. The effects of water stress on plant respiration. In: LambersH, Ribas-CarbóM, eds. Volume 18. Plant respiration: from cell to ecosystem. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 85–94. , , , .
- 2007. Response of leaf respiration to water stress in Mediterranean species with different growth forms. Journal of Arid Environments 68: 206–222. , , , .
- 2010a. Exposure to preindustrial, current and future atmospheric CO2 and temperature differentially affects growth and photosynthesis in Eucalyptus. Global Change Biology 16: 303–319. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010b. Photosynthetic responses of two eucalypts to industrial-age changes in atmospheric [CO2] and temperature. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 1671–1681. , , , , , , .
- 2001. δ13C of CO2 respired in the dark in relation to δ13C of leaf metabolites: comparison between Nicotiana sylvestris and Helianthus annuus under drought. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 505–515. , , , , , .
- 2003. Plant respiration in productivity models: conceptualisation, representation and issues for global terrestrial carbon-cycle research. Functional Plant Biology 30: 171–186. .
- 2004. Plant respiration and elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration: cellular responses and global significance. Annals of Botany 94: 647–656. , , .
- 2002. Leaf respiration is differentially affected by leaf vs. stand- level night-time warming. Global Change Biology 8: 479–485. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Photosynthetic responses to water deficit in six Mediterranean sclerophyll species: possible factors explaining the declining distribution of Rhamnus ludovici-salvatoris, an endemic Balearic species. Tree Physiology 22: 687–697. , , , .
- 2000. Influence of drought on mitochondrial activity, photosynthesis, nocturnal acid accumulation and water relations in the CAM plants Prenia sladeniana (ME-type) and Crassula lycopodioides (PEPCK-type). Annals of Botany 86: 611–620. , .
- 2005. Respiration in photosynthetic cells: gas exchange components, interactions with photorespiration and the operation of mitochondria in the light. In: LambersH, Ribas-CarbóM, eds. Volume 18. Plant respiration: from cell to ecosystem. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 43–61. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Photorespiratory flux and mitochondrial contribution to energy and redox balance of barley leaf protoplasts in the light and during light-dark transitions. Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 1325–1332. , , .
- 2006. Plant respiration in a warmer world. Science 312: 536–537. , , , , .
- 1987. Investigation of the CO2 dependence of quantum yield and respiration in Eucalyptus pauciflora. Plant Physiology 83: 1032–1036. , .
- 1948. A critical consideration of the quantum yield of Chlorella-photosynthesis. Enzymologia 13: 1–56. .
- 1994. Evidence that plants from high altitudes retain their greater photosynthetic efficiency under elevated CO2. Functional Ecology 8: 58–68. , .
- 1995. Respiration during photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology & Plant Molecular Biology 46: 45–70. .
- 1977. Kinetics of photosynthesis and photorespiration in C3-plants. Moscow, Russia: Nauka. .
- 1985. Respiration in intact plants and tissues: its regulation and dependence on environmental factors, metabolism and invaded organisms. In: DouceR, DayDA, eds. Encyclopedia of plant physiology. Volume 18. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag, 417–473. .
- 1977. Water stress induced changes in the amounts of some photosynthetic assimilation products and respiratory metabolites of sunflower leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 28: 329–337. , .
- 2003. Thermal acclimation of leaf and root respiration: an investigation comparing inherently fast- and slow-growing plant species. Global Change Biology 9: 895–910. , , , , , .
- 2000. Relationships of leaf dark respiration with light environment and tissue nitrogen content in juveniles of 11 cold-temperate tree species. Oecologia 123: 318–329. , .
- 2002. Regulation of photosynthesis of C3 plants in response to progressive drought: stomatal conductance as a reference parameter. Annals of Botany 89: 895–905. , , , , .
- 2007. Improving the representation of radiation interception and photosynthesis for climate model applications. Tellus Series B-Chemical and Physical Meteorology 59: 553–565. , , , , .
- 1976. The pathway of nitrogen assimilation in plants. Phytochemistry 15: 873–885. , .
- 2010. Seasonal variation in foliar carbon exchange in Pinus radiata and Populus deltoides: respiration acclimates fully to changes in temperature but photosynthesis does not. Global Change Biology 16: 288–302. , , , .
- 2006. The functional organization and control of plant respiration. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 25: 159–198. , .
- 1992. A quantitative analysis of dark respiration and carbon content as factors in the growth response of plants to elevated CO2. Australian Journal of Botany 40: 501–513. , , , .
- 1990. Phosphorylation of the leaf mitochondrial pyruvate dehydrogenase complex and inactivation of the complex in the light. Current Topics in Plant Biochemistry and Physiology 9: 313–328. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Scaling of respiration to nitrogen in leaves, stems and roots of higher land plants. Ecology Letters 11: 793–801. , , , , , .
- 1998. Photosynthesis and respiration rates depend on leaf and root morphology and nitrogen concentration in nine boreal tree species differing in relative growth rate. Functional Ecology 12: 395–405. , , , , .
- 2007. Reduction of ecosystem productivity and respiration during the European summer 2003 climate anomaly: a joint flux tower, remote sensing and modelling analysis. Global Change Biology 13: 634–651. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Effects of water stress on respiration in soybean leaves. Plant Physiology 139: 466–473. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Effects of climate change on plant respiration. Ecological Applications 1: 157–167. .
- 2002. Canopy processes research. Tree Physiology 22: 1035–1043. .
- 1996. Foliage, fine-root, woody-tissue and stand respiration in Pinus radiata in relation to nitrogen status. Tree Physiology 16: 333–343. , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of low atmospheric CO2 on plants: more than a thing of the past. Trends in Plant Science 6: 18–24. , .
- 1992. Photosynthetic acclimation to sub-ambient CO2 (20 Pa) in the C3 annual Phaseolus vulgaris L. Photosynthetica 27: 605–617. , .
- 2000. Leaf development in Ricinus communis during drought stress: dynamics of growth processes, of cellular structure and of sink-source transition. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1515–1529. , , , , .
- 2004. Response of Xanthium strumarium leaf respiration in the light to elevated CO2 concentration, nitrogen availability and temperature. New Phytologist 162: 377–386. , , , .
- 2008. Transient shade and drought have divergent impacts on the temperature sensitivity of dark respiration in leaves of Geum urbanum. Functional Plant Biology 35: 1135–1146. , , .
- 2002. Plant Physiology. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , .
- 2008. Respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves depends on CO2 and O2 conditions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 797–802. , , , , , .
- 2005. In vivo respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves. Plant Physiology 138: 1596–1606. , , , , .
- 1995. Effects of low and elevated CO2 on C3 and C4 annuals. II. Photosynthesis and leaf biochemistry. Oecologia 101: 21–28. , , , .
- 2002. Leaf respiration at different canopy positions in sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua) grown in ambient and elevated concentrations of carbon dioxide in the field. Tree Physiology 22: 1157–1166. , , , , , .
- 1995. Effect of seasonal water availability on phenology and the annual shoot carbohydrate cycle of tropical forest shrubs. Functional Ecology 9: 518–527. , .
- 2009. Acclimation of respiratory temperature responses in northern and southern populations of Pinus banksiana. New Phytologist 181: 218–229. , , , .
- 1999. Acclimation of respiration to temperature and CO2 in seedlings of boreal tree species in relation to plant size and relative growth rate. Global Change Biology 5: 679–691. , , .
- 2000. Respiration as the main determinant of carbon balance in European forests. Nature 6780: 861–865. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Comparison of methods to estimate dark respiration in the light in leaves of two woody species. Plant Physiology 105: 167–172. , , .
- 2001. Effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration on leaf dark respiration of Xanthium strumarium in light and in darkness. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 2479–2484. , , , , .
- 2008. Close coupling of whole-plant respiration to net photosynthesis and carbohydrates. Tree Physiology 28: 1831–1840. , .
- 2004. Response of total night-time respiration to differences in total daily photosynthesis for leaves in a Quercus rubra L. canopy: implications for modelling canopy CO2 exchange. Global Change Biology 10: 925–938. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Variations in 13C discrimination during CO2 exchange by Picea sitchensis branches in the field. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 600–616. , , , , .
- 2005. Estimation of daytime ecosystem respiration to determine gross primary production of a mountain meadow. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 130: 13–25. , , , , .
- 2007. Does growth irradiance affect temperature dependence and thermal acclimation of leaf respiration? Insights from a Mediterranean tree with long-lived leaves. Plant Cell and Environment 30: 820–833. , , , , .