Introducing short roots in a desert perennial: anatomy and spatiotemporal foraging responses to increased precipitation
Article first published online: 17 MAR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 1, pages 173–183, July 2011
How to Cite
Salguero-Gómez, R. and Casper, B. B. (2011), Introducing short roots in a desert perennial: anatomy and spatiotemporal foraging responses to increased precipitation. New Phytologist, 191: 173–183. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03679.x
- Issue published online: 2 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 17 MAR 2011
- Received: 3 December 2010, Accepted: 23 January 2011
- 2004. Functional strategies of chaparral shrubs in relation to seasonal water deficit and disturbance. Ecological Monographs 74: 25–44. .
- 2000. The north American monsoon system in the Hadley Centre coupled ocean-atmosphere GCM. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 565–568. , , .
- 1999. Short-term patterns in water and nitrogen acquisition by two desert shrubs following a simulated summer rain. Plant Ecology 145: 27–36. , , , , , .
- 2008. Importance of internal hydraulic redistribution for prolonging the lifespan of roots in dry soil. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 177–186. , , , .
- 1974. Belowground production of two cool desert communities. Oecologia 17: 123–130. , .
- 1996. Maximum rooting depth of vegetation types at the global scale. Oecologia 108: 583–595. , , , , , .
- 1911. The root habits of desert plants. Washington, DC, USA: Carnegie Institution of Washington. .
- 1996. Demographic consequences of drought in the herbaceous perennial Cryptantha flava: effects of density, associations with shrubs, and plant size. Oecologia 106: 144–152. .
- 2001. Drought prolongs leaf life span in the herbaceous desert perennial Cryptantha flava. Functional Ecology 15: 740–747. , , , , .
- 2005. Variation in carbon isotope discrimination in relation to plant performance in a natural population of Cryptantha flava. Oecologia 145: 541–548. , , .
- 2000. Assessing root death and root system dynamics in a study of grape canopy pruning. New Phytologist 147: 171–178. , , .
- 2002. Shoot dieback during prolonged drought in Ceanothus (Rhamnaceae) chaparral of California: a possible case of hydraulic failure. American Journal of Botany 89: 820–828. , , , , , .
- 1990. Basin hydrology and plant root system. In: Osmond CB, Pitelka LF, Hidy GM, eds. Plant biology of the basin and range. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 243–292. , , .
- 1996. Response of a grassland cactus to frequency and size of rainfall events in a North American shortgrass steppe. Journal of Ecology 84: 177–183. , , .
- 2000. Climate extremes: observations, modeling, and impacts. Science 289: 2068–2074. , , , , , .
- 2006. Ecological physiology of Pereskia guamacho, a cactus with leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 247–256. , .
- 1997. The ecology of root lifespan. In: Advances in ecological research, vol 27. London, UK: Academic Press Ltd, 1–60. , .
- 2002. Root Lifespan, efficiency, and turnover. In: Waisel Y, Eshel A, Kafkafi U, eds. Plant roots: the hidden half. 3rd edition. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, Inc., 221–238. , .
- 1975. Phenology and dynamics of root growth of three cool semi-desert shrubs under field conditions. Journal of Ecology 63: 703–714. , .
- 1999. Confronting climate change: impacts on the golden state. Washington, DC, USA: Union of Concerned Scientists and Ecological Society of America. , , , , , .
- 2001. Shading by shrubs in a desert system reduces the physiological and demographic performance of an associated herbaceous perennial. Journal of Ecology 89: 670–680. , , .
- 2000. Water and nitrogen uptake patterns following moisture pulses in a cold desert community. Ecology 81: 1415–1424. , .
- 1990. The cactus primer. Boston, MA, USA: Harvard University Press. , .
- 1999. Root water uptake, leaf water storage and gas exchange of a desert succulent: implications for root system redundancy. Annals of Botany 84: 213–223. , .
- 1999. Changes in the probability of heavy precipitation: important indicators of climatic change. Climatic Change 42: 243–283. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1946. Studies of development in long shoots and short shoots of Ginkgo biloba L. 1. The origin and pattern of development of the cortex, pith and procambium. American Journal of Botany 33: 285–295. , .
- 2008. Anatomical traits associated with absorption and mycorrhizal colonization are linked to root branch order in twenty-three Chinese temperate tree species. New Phytologist 180: 573–584. , , , , , .
- 2001. The arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis: a molecular review of the fungal dimension. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 469–478. .
- 2000. The SHORT-ROOT gene controls radial patterning of the Arabidopsis root through radial signaling. Cell 101: 555–567. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Vascular transport in plants. Burlington, MA, USA: Elsevier Inc. , .
- 2004. Precipitation pulses and carbon fluxes in semiarid and arid ecosystems. Oecologia 141: 254–268. , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. The timing and degree of root proliferation in fertile-soil microsites for three cold desert perennials. Oecologia 81: 149–153. , .
- 1993. The scale of nutrient heterogeneity around individual plants and its quantification with geostatistics. Ecology 74: 612–614. , .
- 1996. Monosoonal precipitation responses of shrubs in a cold desert community on the Colorado Plateau. Oecologia 106: 8–17. , , .
- 2008. Using rainout shelters to evaluate climate change effects on the demography of Cryptantha flava. Journal of Ecology 96: 514–522. , , .
- 2005. Does spatial pattern matter to ecosystem functioning? Insights from biological soil crusts. Functional Ecology 19: 566–673. , , , , .
- 1986. Floristic analysis of the southwestern United States. Great Basin Naturalist 46: 46–65. .
- 1980. Further observations on the relations of Prosopis tamarugo of the northern Atacama desert. Oecologia 44: 177–180. , , , .
- 1984. Rectifier-like activities of roots of two desert succulents. Journal of Experimental Botany 35: 727–737. , .
- 1993. Changes in structure and hydraulic conductivity for root junction of desert succulents as soil-water status varies. Botanica Acta 106: 126–135. , , .
- 1973. Desert ecosystems: environment and producers. Annual Review Systematics 4: 25–51. .
- 2004. Plant responses to precipitation in desert ecosystems: integrating functional types, pulses, thresholds, and delays. Oecologia 141: 282–294. , .
- 2005. Vascular constraints and long distance transport in dicots. In: Holbrook NM, Zwieniecki MA, eds. Vascular transport in plants. Burlington, MA, USA: Elsevier Inc, 355–374. , , .
- 1989. Plant physiological ecology: field methods and instrumentation. London, UK: Chapman and Hall. , , , .
- 2005. Non-destructive estimation of lateral root distribution in an aridland perennial. Plant and Soil 273: 211–217. , .
- 1934. The life forms of plants and statistical plant geography. Oxford, UK: Clarendon. .
- 2004. Modifying the ‘pulse-reserve’ paradigm for deserts of North America: precipitation pulses, soil water, and plant responses. Oecologia 141: 194–210. , , , .
- 1982. Small rainfall events: an ecological role in semiarid regions. Oecologia 53: 301–304. , .
- 2011. A hydraulic explanation for size-specific plant shrinkage: developmental hydraulic sectoriality. New Phytologist 189: 229–240. , .
- 1999. Clonal splitting in desert shrubs. Plant Ecology 141: 41–52. .
- 1987. Climate model simulations of the equilibrium climatic response to increased carbon dioxide. Reviews of Geophysics 25: 760–798. , .
- 2004. Thresholds, memory, and seasonality: understanding pulse dynamics in arid/semi-arid ecosystems. Oecologia 141: 191–193. , , , .
- 2003. Dominant cold desert plants do not partition warm season precipitation by event size. Oecologia 136: 252–260. , , .
- 2007. Determinate root growth and meristem maintenance in angiosperms. Annals of Botany 101: 319–340. , , .
- 2006. A greenhouse study on root dynamics of cactus pears, Opuntia ficus-indica and O. robusta. Journal of Arid Environments 65: 529–542. .
- 1995. Biometry: the principles and practices of statistics in biological research. New York, NY, USA: WH Freeman. , .
- 1995. Decomposition of root litter and related microbial population dynamics of a Negev desert shrub, Zygophyllum dumosum. Journal of Arid Environments 31: 383–399. , , .
- TNAS. 2000. Climate changes impacts on the United States: the potential consequences of climate variability and change. New York, NY, USA: US Global Change Research Program. Cambridge University Press.
- 1990. Modeling potassium uptake by slash pine seedlings from low potassium supplying soils of the southeastern coastal plain. Soil Science Society of America Journal 54: 1413–1421. , , .
- 1999. Plants and water in drylands. In: Baird AJ, Wilby RL, eds. Eco-hydrology: plants and water in terrestrial and aquatic environments. London, UK: Routledge, 78–126. , , .
- 1999. Proteoid roots. Physiology and development. Plant Physiology 121: 317–323. , .