These two authors contributed equally to this work.
Transporters in Arabidopsis roots mediating uptake of amino acids at naturally occurring concentrations
Article first published online: 31 MAR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 2, pages 459–467, July 2011
How to Cite
Svennerstam, H., Jämtgård, S., Ahmad, I., Huss-Danell, K., Näsholm, T. and Ganeteg, U. (2011), Transporters in Arabidopsis roots mediating uptake of amino acids at naturally occurring concentrations. New Phytologist, 191: 459–467. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03699.x
- Issue published online: 29 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 31 MAR 2011
- Received: 19 January 2011, Accepted: 16 February 2011
- 1996. Strong, constitutive expression of the Arabidopsis ACT2/ACT8 actin subclass in vegetative tissues. Plant Journal 10: 107–121. , , , , , .
- 1997. Specificity and stoichiometry of the Arabidopsis H+/amino acid transporter AAP5. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 13040–13046. , .
- 1996. Kinetics and specificity of a H+/amino acid transporter from Arabidopsis haliana. Journal of Biological Chemistry 271: 2213–2220. , , , , , .
- 1986. Kinetics and specificity of amino acid uptake by the duckweed Spirodela polyrhiza (L.) Schleiden. Journal of Experimental Botany 37: 1020–1035. , , , .
- 1917. Assimilation of organic nitrogen by Zea mays and the influence of Bacillus subtilis on such assimilation. Soil Science 3: 155–195. .
- 1997. LHT1, a lysine- and histidine-specific amino acid transporter in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 115: 1127–1134. , .
- 1985. Uptake of amino acids and other organic compounds by Lemna paucicostata Hegelm 6746. Plant Physiology 77: 770–778. , .
- 1961. The essential role of calcium in selective cation transport by plant cells. Plant Physiology 36: 437–444. .
- 1995. Substrate specificity and expression profile of amino acid transporters (AAPs) in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 270: 16315–16320. , , , .
- 2002. Low and high affinity amino acid H+-cotransporters for cellular import of neutral and charged amino acids. Plant Journal 29: 717–731. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Capacities and constraints of amino acid utilization in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 179: 1058–1069. , , , .
- 2002. Free amino acid, ammonium and nitrate concentrations in soil solutions of a grazed coastal marsh in relation to plant growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 665–675. , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis LHT1 is a high-affinity transporter for cellular amino acid uptake in both root epidermis and leaf mesophyll. Plant Cell 18: 1931–1946. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Developmental control of H+/amino acid permease gene expression during seed development of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 14: 535–544. , , , , .
- 1993. Cloning a plant amino-acid transporter by functional complementation of a yeast amino acid transport mutant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 90: 7441–7445. , , , .
- 1911. The direct assimilation of inorganic and organic forms of nitrogen by higher plants. Centralblatt für Bakteriologie, Parasitenkunde und Infektionskrankenheit. Zweite Abteilung 30: 513–547. , .
- 2008. Characteristics of amino acid uptake in barley. Plant and Soil 302: 221–231. , , .
- 2010. Nitrogen compounds in soil solution of agricultural land. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 42: 2325–2330. , , .
- 2002. Simple method to enable the high resolution determination of total free amino acids in soil solutions and soil extracts. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 34: 1893–1902. , , .
- 2005. Plant capture of free amino acids is maximized under high soil amino acid concentrations. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 37: 179–181. , , , .
- 1994. Amino acid absorption by arctic plants – implications for plant nutrition and nitrogen cycling. Ecology 75: 2373–2383. .
- 1981. Interamino acid inhibition of transport in higher plants – evidence for 2 transport channels with ascertainable affinities for amino acids. Plant Physiology 68: 1327–1333. .
- 2007. AAP1 transports uncharged amino acids into roots of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 50: 305–319. , , , , , .
- 2001. The unexpected versatility of plants: organic nitrogen use and availability in terrestrial ecosystems. Oecologia 128: 305–316. , .
- 2006. Expression and transcriptional regulation of amino acid transporters in plants. Amino Acids 30: 113–120. , .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassay with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiologia Plantarum 15: 310–313. , .
- 2009. Uptake of organic nitrogen by plants. New Phytologist 182: 31–48. , , .
- 2001. Plant acquisition of organic nitrogen in boreal forests. Physiologia Plantarum 111: 419–426. , .
- 2004. Organic and inorganic nitrogen sources for conifer seedlings. Doctoral dissertation, Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology, SLU, Umeå, Sweden. Acta Universitatis Agriculturae Sueciae. Silvestra vol. 312 . .
- 2004. Root phloem-specific expression of the plasma membrane amino acid proton co-transporter AAP3. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2155–2168. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Non-mycorrhizal uptake of amino acids by roots of the alpine sedge Kobresia myosuroides: implications for the alpine nitrogen cycle. Oecologia 108: 488–494. , , .
- 1999. Soil amino acid utilization among species of the Cyperaceae: plant and soil processes. Ecology 80: 2408–2419. , , .
- 2007. Transporters for uptake and allocation of organic nitrogen compounds in plants. FEBS Letters 581: 2281–2289. , , .
- 2003. An Arabidopsis thaliana T-DNA mutagenized population (GABI-Kat) for flanking sequence tag-based reverse genetics. Plant Molecular Biology 53: 247–259. , , , , , .
- 2004. Nitrogen mineralization: challenges of a changing paradigm. Ecology 85: 591–602. , .
- 1987. Amino acid uptake by Ricinus communis roots – characterization and physiological significance. Plant, Cell & Environment 10: 493–500. , .
- 1978. Multiphasic uptake of amino acids by barley roots. Physiologia Plantarum 43: 181–188. , .
- 2007. Comprehensive screening of Arabidopsis mutants suggests the lysine histidine transporter 1 to be involved in plant uptake of amino acids. Plant Physiology 143: 1853–1860. , , , .
- 2008. Root uptake of cationic amino acids by Arabidopsis depends on functional expression of amino acid permease 5. New Phytologist 180: 620–630. , , .
- 1999. Kinetics of amino acid uptake by ectomycorrhizal roots. Plant, Cell and Environment 22: 179–187. , .
- 2002. Conservation of amino acid transporters in fungi, plants and animals. TIBS 27: 139–147. , , , , , .
- 2002. Contribution of amino compounds to dissolved organic nitrogen in forest soils. Biogeochemistry 61: 173–198. , , , , , .