Onset of summer flowering in a ‘Sky Island’ is driven by monsoon moisture
Version of Record online: 30 MAR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 2, pages 468–479, July 2011
How to Cite
Crimmins, T. M., Crimmins, M. A. and Bertelsen, C. D. (2011), Onset of summer flowering in a ‘Sky Island’ is driven by monsoon moisture. New Phytologist, 191: 468–479. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03705.x
- Issue online: 29 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 30 MAR 2011
- Received: 17 January 2011, Accepted: 21 February 2011
- 1997. Phenology of ten common plant species in western Saudi Arabia. Journal of Arid Environments 35: 673–683. .
- 1997. The North American monsoon. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2197–2213. , .
- 2009. Temperature sensitivity of drought-induced tree mortality portends increased regional die-off under global-change-type drought. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 7063–7066. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Responses of spring phenology to climate change. New Phytologist 162: 295–309. , , , , , , .
- 1974. Phenological events and their environmental triggers in Mojave desert ecosystems. Ecology 55: 856–863. .
- 2005. El Niño and displays of spring-flowering annuals in the Mojave and Sonoran deserts. Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 132: 38–49. .
- 1994. Flowering phenology of six woody plants in the northern Sonoran Desert. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club 121: 215–229. , .
- 1987. Precipitation and the relative abundances of desert winter annuals: a 6-year study in the northern Mojave Desert. Journal of Arid Environments 12: 141–149. .
- 1998. Competition intensity as a function of resource availability in a semiarid ecosystem. Oecologia 116: 365–372. , , .
- 1994. Biotic communities: southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico. Salt Lake City, USA: University of Utah Press. .
- 1995. Desert grassland, mixed shrub savanna, shrub steppe, or semidesert scrub? The dilemma of coexisting growth forms. In: McClaran MP, Van Devender TR, eds. The desert grassland. Tucson, AZ, USA: University of Arizona Press, 31–67. .
- 2010. Complex responses to climate drivers in onset of spring flowering across a semi-arid elevation gradient. Journal of Ecology 98: 1042–1051. , , .
- 2008. Relationships between alpha diversity of plant species in bloom and climatic variables across an elevation gradient. International Journal of Biometeorology 52: 353–366. , , , .
- 2008. Physiographically sensitive mapping of climatological temperature and precipitation across the conterminous United States. International Journal of Climatology 28: 2031–2064. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Phytophenological trends in Switzerland. International Journal of Biometeorology 45: 203–207. , .
- 1991. Differential utilization of summer rains by desert plants. Oecologia 88: 430–434. , , , .
- 2004. A method for defining monsoon onset and demise in the southwestern USA. International Journal of Climatology 24: 247–265. , , .
- 2005. Drought effects on seedling survival in a tropical moist forest. Trees 19: 312–321. , , .
- 2004. Geomorphic response to seasonal variations in rainfall in the Southwest United States. Geological Society of America Bulletin 116: 606–618. , , .
- 2002. Rapid changes in flowering time in British plants. Science 296: 1689–1691. , .
- 1995. Relationships between first flowering date and temperature in the flora of a locality in central England. Functional Ecology 9: 55–60. , , , .
- 1994. Flowering and fruiting of arid zone species of Acacia in central Australia. Journal of Arid Environments 27: 221–239. , , , , .
- 1997. The phenology of desert plants: a 3 year study in a gravel desert wadi in northern Oman. Journal of Arid Environments 35: 407–417. .
- 2009. Long-term temporal changes of plant phenology in the western Mediterranean. Global Change Biology 15: 1930–1948. , .
- 2007. Seasonal shifts in the North American monsoon. Journal of Climate 20: 1923–1935. , , , .
- 2003. Geostatistical analysis of Arizona summertime precipitation. Journal of the Arizona-Nevada Academy of Science 36: 9–17. .
- 2009. How does climate warming affect plant–pollinator interactions? Ecology Letters 12: 184–195. , , , , .
- 2000. Dominant factors responsible for interannual variability of the summer monsoon in the southwestern United States. Journal of Climate 13: 759–776. , .
- 1989. Competition between adult and seedling shrubs of Ambrosia dumosa in the Mojave Desert Great Basin. Nature 49: 79–84. .
- 2009. Global climate change impacts in the United States. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , .
- 2010. Is the onset of the English summer advancing? Climatic Change 100: 419–431. , .
- 1987. Root dynamics of Bouteloua gracilis during short-term recovery from drought. Functional Ecology 1: 117–124. , , , .
- 2008. Do CGCMs simulate the North American monsoon precipitation seasonal–interannual variability? Journal of Climate 21: 4424–4448. , , , , .
- 2008. Characteristics of North American summertime rainfall with emphasis on the monsoon. Journal of Climate 21: 1277–1294. , , , , , .
- 2005. Experimental evidence of future drier and warmer conditions affecting flowering of two co-occurring Mediterranean shrubs. International Journal of Plant Science 166: 235–245. , .
- 2004. A multi-scale perspective of water pulses in dryland ecosystems: climatology and ecohydrology of the western USA. Oecologia 141: 269–281. , , , .
- 1985. The Mojave, Sonoran, and Chihuahuan deserts of North America. In: Evanari M, Noy-Meir I, Goodall DW, eds. Hot deserts and arid shrublands. Ecosystems of the world. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier, 105–202. , .
- Mathworks, Inc. 2008. Matlab v. R2007b. Natick, MA, USA: Mathworks, Inc.
- 1995. The desert grassland. Tucson, AZ, USA: University of Arizona Press. , .
- 2006. European phenological response to climate change matches the warming pattern. Global Change Biology 12: 1969–1976. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1894. Laws of temperature control of the geographic distribution of terrestrial animals and plants. National Geographic 6: 229–238. .
- 2008. How well do first flowering dates measure plant responses to climate change? The effects of population size and sampling frequency. Journal of Ecology 96: 1289–1296. , , .
- 2007. Impact of global warming on a group of related species and their hybrids: cherry tree (Rosaceae) flowering at Mt. Takao, Japan. American Journal of Botany 94: 1470–1478. , , , , , .
- 2008. Global warming and flowering times in Thoreau’s Concord: a community perspective. Ecology 89: 332–341. , .
- 1997. Photosynthetic responses of three codominant species from the northwestern Sonoran Desert – a C3 deciduous sub-shrub, a C4 deciduous bunchgrass, and a CAM evergreen leaf succulent. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 24: 787–796. , .
- 1973. Desert ecosystems: environment and producers. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 4: 25–51. .
- 2003. Experimental drought in a holm oak forest: different photosynthetic response of the two dominant species, Quercus ilex and Phillyrea latifolia. Environmental and Experimental Botany 50: 137–148. , .
- Oregon State University. 2010. PRISM Climate Group [WWW document]. URL http://www.prism.oregonstate.edu/ (accessed 1 July 2010).
- 2007. Influences of species, latitudes and methodologies on estimates of phenological response to global warming. Global Change Biology 13: 1860–1872. .
- 2004. Complex spatiotemporal phenological shifts as a response to rainfall changes. New Phytologist 161: 837–846. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Spatial and seasonal patterns in climate change, temperatures, and precipitation across the United States. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 7324–7329. , , .
- 2004. Modifying the ‘pulse-reserve’ paradigm for deserts of North America: precipitation pulses, soil water, and plant responses. Oecologia 141: 194–210. , , .
- 2000. Effects of long-term rainfall variability on evapotranspiration and soil water distribution in the Chihuahuan Desert: a modeling analysis. Plant Ecology 150: 145–159. , , .
- 1982. Small rainfall events: an ecological role in semiarid regions. Oecologia 53: 301–304. , .
- 1985. Root profiles and the ecological effect of light rainshowers in arid and semiarid regions. American Midland Naturalist 114: 406–408. , .
- 1982. Plant recovery following prolonged drought in a shortgrass steppe. Agricultural Meteorology 27: 49–58. , , .
- 2002. Interannual variability of NDVI in northwest Mexico. Associated climatic mechanisms and ecological implications. Remote Sensing of Environment 82: 417–430. , , .
- SAS Institute, Inc. 2008. JMP statistical software. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute, Inc.
- 2002. Deuterium enriched irrigation indicates different forms of rain use in shrub/grass species of the Colorado Plateau. Oecologia 130: 345–355. , , , .
- 2003. Dominant cold desert plants do not partition warm season precipitation by event size. Oecologica 136: 252–260. , , .
- 2002. The climate of the U.S. Southwest. Climate Research 21: 219–238. , , , , .
- 1995. The responses of species to climate over two centuries: an analysis of the Marsham phonological record, 1736–1947. Journal of Ecology 83: 321–329. , .
- 2000. An examination of the relationship between flowering times and temperature at the national scale using long-term phonological records from the UK. International Journal of Biometeorology 44: 82–87. , , .
- StataCorp. 2006. Stata v.9.2. College Station, TX, USA: StataCorp.
- 2002. Climate, changing phenology, and other life history traits: nonlinearity and match–mismatch to the environment. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 13379–13381. , .
- 2010. Trophic level asynchrony in rates of phenological change for marine, freshwater and terrestrial environments. Global Change Biology 16: 3304–3313. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Summertime convective storm environments in Central Arizona: local observations. Weather and Forecasting 14: 994–1006. , , .
- 1994. Diurnal cloud-to-ground lightning patterns in Arizona during the Southwest Monsoon. Monthly Weather Review 122: 1716–1725. , , .
- 2004. Seasonal and inter-annual relationships between vegetation and climate in central New Mexico, USA. Journal of Arid Environments 57: 507–534. , , , .
- 1968. A soil and vegetation pattern in the Santa Catalina Mountains, Arizona. Soil Science 105: 440–450. , , , .
- 1965. Vegetation of the Santa Catalina Mountains, Arizona: a gradient analysis of the south slope. Ecology 46: 429–452. , .