A zinc finger protein Tsip1 controls Cucumber mosaic virus infection by interacting with the replication complex on vacuolar membranes of the tobacco plant
Article first published online: 8 APR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 3, pages 746–762, August 2011
How to Cite
Huh, S. U., Kim, M. J., Ham, B.-K. and Paek, K.-H. (2011), A zinc finger protein Tsip1 controls Cucumber mosaic virus infection by interacting with the replication complex on vacuolar membranes of the tobacco plant. New Phytologist, 191: 746–762. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03717.x
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2011
- Article first published online: 8 APR 2011
- Received: 4 January 2011, Accepted: 4 March 2011
- 1995. Short protocols in molecular biology. New York, NY, USA: Wiley. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Stress management – heat shock protein-70 and the regulation of apoptosis. Trends in Cell Biology 11: 6–10. , .
- 1998. The movement protein of cucumber mosaic virus traffics into sieve elements in minor veins of Nicotiana clevelandii. Plant Cell 10: 525–538. , , , , .
- 2008. Chloroplastic protein NRIP1 mediates innate immune receptor recognition of a viral effector. Cell 132: 449–462. , , , , .
- 1998. Structure, function and evolution of Dnaj: conservation and adaptation of chaperone function. Cell Stress Chaperones 3: 28–36. , .
- 2005. Cucumber mosaic virus 2a polymerase and 3a movement proteins independently affect both virus movement and the timing of symptom development in zucchini squash. Journal of General Virology 86: 1213–1222. , , , , , .
- 2002. In situ localization and tissue distribution of the replication-associated proteins of cucumber mosaic virus in tobacco and cucumber. Journal of Virology 76: 10654–10664. , , .
- 1982. Newcastle disease virus stimulates the cellular accumulation of stress (heat shock) mrnas and proteins. Journal of Virology 44: 703–707. , .
- 2002. Tobacco mosaic virus assembly and disassembly: determinants in pathogenicity and resistance. Annual Review of Phytopathology 40: 287–308. .
- 2008. Heat shock 70 protein interaction with Turnip mosaic virus RNA-dependent RNA polymerase within virus-induced membrane vesicles. Virology 374: 217–227. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Formation of the poliovirus replication complex requires coupled viral translation, vesicle production, and viral RNA synthesis. Journal of Virology 74: 6570–6580. , , , .
- 2009. In vivo imaging of the tonoplast intrinsic protein family in Arabidopsis roots. BMC Plant Biology 9: 133. , , , , .
- 2005. Actively replicating West Nile virus is resistant to cytoplasmic delivery of siRNA. Virology Journal 2: 53. , , .
- 2000. Activation of heat-shock response by an adenovirus is essential for virus replication. Nature 407: 207–211. , , , , , .
- 2003. Subcellular localization of host and viral proteins associated with tobamovirus RNA replication. EMBO Journal 22: 344–353. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Tobacco Tsip1, a DnaJ-type Zn finger protein, is recruited to and potentiates Tsi1-mediated transcriptional activation. Plant Cell 18: 2005–2020. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Molecular chaperones in the cytosol: from nascent chain to folded protein. Science 295: 1852–1858. , .
- 1990. Complete replication of a eukaryotic virus RNA in vitro by a purified RNA-dependent RNA polymerase. Cell 63: 363–368. , .
- 2008. SARS-coronavirus replication/transcription complexes are membrane-protected and need a host factor for activity in vitro. PLoS Pathogens 4: e1000054. , , , , , .
- 2007. Capsid protein-mediated recruitment of host DnaJ-like proteins is required for potato virus y infection in tobacco plants. Journal of Virology 81: 11870–11880. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Requirement of heat shock protein 90 for human Hepatitis b virus reverse transcriptase function. Journal of Virology 78: 13122–13131. , , , , .
- 2005. Evidence for interaction between the 2a polymerase protein and the 3a movement protein of Cucumber mosaic virus. Journal of General Virology 86: 3171–3177. , , , , , .
- 2007. Identification of amino acid sequences determining interaction between the Cucumber mosaic virus-encoded 2a polymerase and 3a movement proteins. Journal of General Virology 88: 3445–3451. , , , .
- 2001. A new dynamin-like protein, ADL6, is involved in trafficking from the trans-golgi network to the central vacuole in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 13: 1511–1526. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The plant immune system. Nature 444: 323–329. , .
- 2005. The cellular chaperone heat shock protein 90 facilitates Flock house virus RNA replication in Drosophila cells. Journal of Virology 79: 6827–6837. , .
- 2008. CRT1, an Arabidopsis ATPase that interacts with diverse resistance proteins and modulates disease resistance to Turnip crinkle virus. Cell Host & Microbe 3: 48–57. , , , .
- 1990. Gene-for-gene complementarity in plant-pathogen interactions. Annual Review of Genetics 24: 447–463. .
- 2008. A novel methyltransferase methylates Cucumber mosaic virus 1a protein and promotes systemic spread. Journal of Virology 82: 4823–4833. , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis tonoplast proteins TIP1 and TIP2 interact with the Cucumber mosaic virus 1a replication protein. Journal of General Virology 87: 3425–3431. , , .
- 2002. Phosphorylation of Cucumber mosaic virus RNA polymerase 2a protein inhibits formation of replicase complex. EMBO Journal 21: 2292–2300. , , .
- 1996. Complete nucleotide sequence and phylogenetic classfication of the RNA 3 from Cucumber mosaic virus (CMV) strain. Molecular Cells 6: 190–196. , , , , , .
- 1999. Mechanism of regulation of Hsp70 chaperones by DnaJ cochaperones. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 5452–5457. , , , , , , .
- 2009. A protein kinase-phosphatase pair interacts with an ion channel to regulate ABA signaling in plant guard cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 21419–21424. , , , .
- 2003. Membrane synthesis, specific lipid requirements, and localized lipid composition changes associated with a positive-strand RNA virus RNA replication protein. Journal of Virology 77: 12819–12828. , .
- 2001. Cucumber mosaic virus-plant interactions: identification of 3a protein sequences affecting infectivity, cell-to-cell movement, and long-distance movement. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 14: 378–385. , , .
- 2000. Suppression of post-transcriptional gene silencing by a plant viral protein localized in the nucleus. EMBO Journal 19: 1672–1680. , , , .
- 1999. Heat shock protein expression in target cells infected with low levels of replication-competent virus contributes to the immunogenicity of adenoviral vectors. Human Gene Therapy 10: 1431–1442. , , .
- 2008. Modification of intracellular membrane structures for virus replication. Nature Reviews. Microbiology 6: 363–374. , .
- 2002. Identification of Hsp90 as a stimulatory host factor involved in influenza virus RNA synthesis. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 45306–45314. , , , , , .
- 1992. The translation machinery and 70 kd heat shock protein cooperate in protein synthesis. Cell 71: 97–105. , , , , .
- 2005. Plant viruses. Invaders of cells and pirates of cellular pathways. Plant Physiology 138: 1809–1814. , .
- 1998. Interactions between the structural domains of the RNA replication proteins of plant-infecting RNA viruses. Journal of Virology 72: 7160–7169. , , , .
- 2007. The relationship of within-host multiplication and virulence in a plant-virus system. PLoS ONE 2: e786. , , .
- 2003. Cucumoviruses. Advances in Virus Research 62: 241–323. , .
- 1992. Cucumber mosaic virus. Advances in Virus Research 41: 281–348. , , , .
- 2006. The diversity of the DnaJ/Hsp40 family, the crucial partners for Hsp70 chaperones. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 63: 2560–2570. , , , .
- 2000. HRT gene function requires interaction between a NAC protein and viral capsid protein to confer resistance to Turnip crinkle virus. Plant Cell 12: 1917–1926. , , .
- 1996. Brome mosaic virus helicase- and polymerase-like proteins colocalize on the endoplasmic reticulum at sites of viral RNA synthesis. Journal of Virology 70: 8908–8916. , .
- 2001. Cellular COPII proteins are involved in production of the vesicles that form the poliovirus replication complex. Journal of Virology 75: 9808–9818. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A positive-strand RNA virus replication complex parallels form and function of retrovirus capsids. Molecular Cell 9: 505–514. , , , , , .
- 2006. Proteomics analysis of the Tombusvirus replicase: Hsp70 molecular chaperone is associated with the replicase and enhances viral RNA replication. Journal of Virology 80: 2162–2169. , .
- 2009. The cytosolic protein response as a subcomponent of the wider heat shock response in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 642–654. , , , .
- 1996. A zinc finger-like domain of the molecular chaperone DnaJ is involved in binding to denatured protein substrates. EMBO Journal 15: 408–417. , , , .
- 2001. Double-stranded RNA-mediated interference with plant virus infection. Journal of Virology 75: 12288–12297. , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis gp91phox homologues AtrbohD and AtrbohF are required for accumulation of reactive oxygen intermediates in the plant defense response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 517–522. , , .
- 2009. Organelle identification and characterization in plant cells: using a combinational approach of confocal immunofluorescence and electron microscope. Journal of Plant Biology 52: 1–9. , , .
- 2008. Functional divergence between co-chaperones of hsc70. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 27100–27109. , , , , .
- 2001. Ara6, a plant-unique novel type RAB GTPase, functions in the endocytic pathway of Arabidopsis thaliana. EMBO Journal 20: 4730–4741. , , , .
- 2004. Visualization of protein interactions in living plant cells using bimolecular fluorescence complementation. Plant Journal 40: 428–438. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Interaction of the tobacco mosaic virus replicase protein with a NAC domain transcription factor is associated with the suppression of systemic host defenses. Journal of Virology 83: 9720–9730. , , .
- 2008. The heat shock protein 70 cochaperone YDJ1 is required for efficient membrane-specific flock house virus RNA replication complex assembly and function in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Journal of Virology 82: 2004–2012. , .
- 2004. Roles for host factors in plant viral pathogenicity. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 365–371. , .
- 1999. GRAB proteins, novel members of the NAC domain family, isolated by their interaction with a geminivirus protein. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 647–656. , , , , .
- 2000. TOM1, an Arabidopsis gene required for efficient multiplication of a Tobamovirus, encodes a putative transmembrane protein. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 10107–10112. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Cucumber mosaic virus-encoded 2b suppressor inhibits Arabidopsis argonaute1 cleavage activity to counter plant defense. Genes and Development 20: 3255–3268. , , , , , , .