Transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulation of a NAC1 transcription factor in Medicago truncatula roots
Article first published online: 19 APR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 3, pages 647–661, August 2011
How to Cite
D’haeseleer, K., Den Herder, G., Laffont, C., Plet, J., Mortier, V., Lelandais-Brière, C., De Bodt, S., De Keyser, A., Crespi, M., Holsters, M., Frugier, F. and Goormachtig, S. (2011), Transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulation of a NAC1 transcription factor in Medicago truncatula roots. New Phytologist, 191: 647–661. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03719.x
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2011
- Article first published online: 19 APR 2011
- Received: 17 December 2010, Accepted: 6 March 2011
- 2005. Antiquity of microRNAs and their targets in land plants. Plant Cell 17: 1658–1673. , .
- 1996. A protein linkage map of Escherichia coli bacteriophage T7. Nature Genetics 12: 72–77. , , , .
- 2008. A gene expression atlas of the model legume Medicago truncatula. Plant Journal 55: 504–513. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Local, efflux-dependent auxin gradients as a common module for plant organ formation. Cell 115: 591–602. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Rapidly maturing variants of the Discosoma red fluorescent protein (DsRed). Nature Biotechnology 20: 83–87. , .
- 2001. Agrobacterium rhizogenes-transformed roots of Medicago truncatula for the study of nitrogen-fixing and endomycorrhizal symbiotic associations. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 695–700. , , , , , .
- 2008. MicroRNA166 controls root and nodule development in Medicago truncatula. Plant Journal 54: 876–887. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Widespread translational inhibition by plant miRNAs and siRNAs. Science 320: 1185–1190. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Nodule morphogenesis in the absence of Rhizobium. In: PalaciosR, MoraJ, NewtonWE, eds. New horizons in nitrogen fixation, Current plant science and biotechnology in agriculture, Vol. 17. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 297–302. , , .
- 2004. A microRNA as a translational repressor of APETALA2 in Arabidopsis flower development. Science 303: 2022–2025. .
- 1998. Succinoglycan is required for the initiation and elongation of infection threads during nodulation of alfalfa by Rhizobium meliloti. Journal of Bacteriology 180: 5183–5191. , .
- 2006. MtHAP2-1 is a key transcriptional regulator of symbiotic nodule development regulated by microRNA169 in Medicago truncatula. Genes & Development 20: 3084–3088. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Post-transcriptional gene regulation of salinity and drought responses by plant microRNAs. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 481–489. , .
- 2008. De novo organ formation from differentiated cells: root nodule organogenesis. Science Signaling 1: re11[Err. Science Signaling 2, er1]. , .
- 2008. Seven in absentia proteins affect plant growth and nodulation in Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiology 148: 369–382. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Pericycle cell proliferation and lateral root initiation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 124: 1648–1657. , , , .
- 1985. Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39: 783–791. .
- 2006. The Medicago truncatula CRE1 cytokinin receptor regulates lateral root development and early symbiotic interaction with Sinorhizobium meliloti. Plant Cell 18: 2680–2693. , , .
- 2009. Legume root architecture: a peculiar root system. In: BeeckmanT, ed. Root development, Annual Plant Reviews, Vol. 37. Chichester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 239–287. , , , .
- 2005. MicroRNA directs mRNA cleavage of the transcription factor NAC1 to downregulate auxin signals for Arabidopsis lateral root development. Plant Cell 17: 1376–1386. , , , .
- 2009. Phenotypic plasticity of adventitious rooting in Arabidopsis is controlled by complex regulation of AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR transcripts and microRNA abundance. Plant Cell 21: 3119–3132. , , , , , .
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symposium Series 41: 95–98. .
- 2005. AtNAC2, a transcription factor downstream of ethylene and auxin signaling pathways, is involved in salt stress response and lateral root development. Plant Journal 44: 903–916. , , , , , .
- 1997. Is the legume nodule a modified root or stem or an organ sui generis? Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 16: 361–392. , .
- 2001. What makes the rhizobia–legume symbiosis so special? Plant Physiology 127: 1484–1492. , , .
- 1999. Siah-1 N-terminal RING domain is required for proteolysis function, and C-terminal sequences regulate oligomerization and binding to target proteins. Molecular and Cellular Biology 19: 724–732. , .
- 2010. The Arabidopsis thaliana NAC transcription factor family: structure–function relationships and determinants of ANACO19 stress signalling. Biochemical Journal 426: 183–196. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Computational identification of plant microRNAs and their targets, including a stress-induced miRNA. Molecular Cell 14: 787–799. , .
- 1994. Rhizobium meliloti Nod factors elicit cell-specific transcription of the ENOD12 gene in transgenic alfalfa. Plant Journal 6: 241–249. , , , , , .
- 2002. GATEWAY™ vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 193–195. , , .
- 2009. Trifurcate feed-forward regulation of age-dependent cell death involving miR164 in Arabidopsis. Science 323: 1053–1057. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Interaction of the Arabidopsis E2F and DP proteins confers their concomitant nuclear translocation and transactivation. Plant Physiology 128: 833–843. , .
- 2010. How many peas in a pod? Legume genes responsible for mutualistic symbioses underground. Plant Cell and Physiology 51: 1381–1397. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Biochemical evidence for translational repression by Arabidopsis microRNAs. Plant Cell 21: 1762–1768. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. MicroRNA regulation of the CUC genes is required for boundary size control in Arabidopsis meristems. Development 131: 4311–4322. , , , .
- 2009. Optimizing TILLING populations for reverse genetics in Medicago truncatula. Plant Biotechnological Journal 7: 430–441. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Genome-wide Medicago truncatula small RNA analysis revealed novel microRNAs and isoforms differentially regulated in roots and nodules. Plant Cell 21: 2780–2796. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2−ΔΔCTmethod. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2005. MicroRNA-directed regulation of Arabidopsis AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR17 is essential for proper development and modulates expression of early auxin response genes. Plant Cell 17: 1360–1375. , , .
- 2010. miR390, Arabidopsis TAS3 tasiRNAs, and their AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR targets define an autoregulatory network quantitatively regulating lateral root growth. Plant Cell 22: 1104–1117. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Evolution of root endosymbiosis with bacteria: how novel are nodules? Trends in Plant Science 14: 77–86. , .
- 2003. Extensive and specific responses of a eukaryote to bacterial quorum-sensing signals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 1444–1449. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Auxin transport inhibition precedes root nodule formation in white clover roots and is regulated by flavonoids and derivatives of chitin oligosaccharides. Plant Journal 14: 23–34. , , , , , .
- 2000. Rhizobia can induce nodules in white clover by “hijacking” mature cortical cells activated during lateral root development. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 13: 170–182. , , , .
- 2010. MicroRNA-mediated signaling involved in plant root development. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 393: 345–349. , , , , .
- 2003. A novel family in Medicago truncatula consisting of more than 300 nodule-specific genes coding for small, secreted polypeptides with conserved cysteine motifs. Plant Physiology 132: 161–173. , , , , , , .
- 2010. CLE peptides control Medicago truncatula nodulation locally and systemically. Plant Physiology 153: 222–237. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The novel symbiotic phenotype of enhanced-nodulating mutant of Lotus japonicus: astray mutant is an early nodulating mutant with wider nodulation zone. Plant Cell and Physiology 43: 853–859. , , .
- 1948. Physiological studies on nodule formation. I. The relation between nodulation and lateral root formation in red clover. Annals of Botany 12: 81–96. .
- 2005. Nod factors and a diffusible factor from arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi stimulate lateral root formation in Medicago truncatula via the DMI1/DMI2 signalling pathway. Plant Journal 44: 195–207. , , , , .
- 2008. Coordinating nodule morphogenesis with rhizobial infection in legumes. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 519–546. , .
- 2005. NAC transcription factors: structurally distinct, functionally diverse. Trends in Plant Science 10: 79–87. , , , .
- 2003. Comprehensive analysis of NAC family genes in Oryza sativa and Arabidopsis thaliana. DNA Research 10: 239–247. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Phaseolus ENOD40 is involved in symbiotic and non-symbiotic organogenetic processes: expression during nodule and lateral root development. Plant Molecular Biology 30: 403–417. , , .
- 2004. In vivo investigation of the transcription, processing, endonucleolytic activity, and functional relevance of the spatial distribution of a plant miRNA. Genes & Development 18: 2237–2242. , , , , .
- 2009. Complex regulation of the TIR1/AFB family of auxin receptors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 22540–22545. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Dual genetic pathways controlling nodule number in Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiology 131: 998–1008. , , , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis E2Fc functions in cell division and is degraded by the ubiquitin-SCFAtSKP2 pathway in response to light. Plant Cell 14: 3057–3071. , , .
- 1993. Transgenic root nodules of Vicia hirsuta: a fast and efficient system for the study of gene expression in indeterminate-type nodules. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 6: 699–706. , , .
- 2009. Roles of plant small RNAs in biotic stress responses. Annual Review of Plant Biology 60: 485–510. , .
- 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Molecular Biology and Evolution 4: 406–425. , .
- 2009. MicroRNAs in the rhizobia legume symbiosis. Plant Physiology 151: 1002–1008. , , .
- 1989. Which steps are essential for the formation of functional legume nodules? New Phytologist 111: 129–153. .
- 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Research 22: 4673–4680. , , .
- 1999. Refined analysis of early symbiotic steps of the Rhizobium–Medicago interaction in relationship with microtubular cytoskeleton rearrangements. Development 126: 3617–3628. , , .
- 1985. Identification of a Rhizobium meliloti pSym2011 region controlling the host specificity of root hair curling and nodulation. Journal of Bacteriology 164: 1200–1210. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Construction of evolutionary distance trees with TREECON for Windows: accounting for variation in nucleotide substitution rate among sites. Computer Applications in the Biosciences 13: 227–230. , .
- 1975. Characterization of different plaque-forming and defective temperate phages in Agrobacterium strains. Journal of General Virology 26: 33–48. , , , , .
- 2010. Nitrate-responsive miR393/AFB3 regulatory module controls root system architecture in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 4477–4482. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The DP-E2F-like DEL1 gene controls the endocycle in Arabidopsis thaliana. Current Biology 15: 59–63. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. Origin, biogenesis, and activity of plant microRNAs. Cell 136: 669–687. .
- 2005. Control of root cap formation by microRNA-targeted auxin response factors in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 17: 2204–2216. , , , , , .
- 2006. Expression characteristics of GFP driven by NAC1 promoter and its response to auxin and gibberellin. Progress in Natural Science 16: 701–705. , , , , , .
- 2000. Arabidopsis NAC1 transduces auxin signal downstream of TIR1 to promote lateral root development. Genes & Development 14: 3024–3036. , , , .
- 2002. SINAT5 promotes ubiquitin-related degradation of NAC1 to attenuate auxin signals. Nature 419: 167–170. , , , , , .
- 2010. An NAC transcription factor orchestrates multiple features of cell wall development in Medicago truncatula. Plant Journal 63: 100–114. , , , , , , .