Multiple mechanisms underlie rapid expansion of an invasive alien plant
Version of Record online: 21 APR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 3, pages 828–839, August 2011
How to Cite
Wang, R., Wang, J.-F., Qiu, Z.-J., Meng, B., Wan, F.-H. and Wang, Y.-Z. (2011), Multiple mechanisms underlie rapid expansion of an invasive alien plant. New Phytologist, 191: 828–839. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03720.x
- Issue online: 20 JUL 2011
- Version of Record online: 21 APR 2011
- Received: 24 October 2010, Accepted: 3 March 2011
- 1975. The autecology of Eupatorium adenophorum Sprengel in Australia. Weed Research 15: 27–31. , .
- 2008. Revealing historic invasion patterns and potential invasion sites for two non-native plant species. PLoS ONE 3: e1635. doi: 10.1371/journal. pone.0001635 , , .
- 2006. Measuring plant dispersal: an introduction to field methods and experimental design. Plant Ecology 186: 217–234. , , .
- 2001. River corridor plants (Stromtalpflanzen) in Central European lowland: a review of a poorly understood plant distribution pattern. Global Ecology of Biogeography 10: 449–468. .
- 2006. The historical spread of Ambrosia artemisiifolia L. in France from herbarium records. Journal of Biogeography 33: 665–673. , , , .
- 1981. Spatial processes – models and applications. London, UK: Pion. , .
- 1995. Plant invaders: the threat to natural ecosystems. London, UK: Chapman and Hall. , .
- 2001. Plant distribution and dispersal mechanisms at the Hassayampa River Preserve, Arizona, USA. Global Ecology and Biogeography 10: 205–217. , , .
- 1986. The susceptibility of natural communities to invasion. In: GrovesRH, BurdonJJ, eds. Ecology of biological invasions. San Francisco, CA, USA: Cambridge University Press, 57–66. , .
- 2003. Roads as conduits for exotic plant invasions in a semiarid landscape. Conservation Biology 17: 420–432. , .
- 2002. Distribution of exotic plants along roads in a peninsular nature reserve. Biological Invasions 4: 425–430. , , .
- 2001. Validation of a spatial simulation model of a spreading alien plant population. Journal of Applied Ecology 38: 571–584. , , .
- 2000. Applied logistic regression, 2nd edn. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley and Sons. , .
- 2003. Global climatic warming, the Yangtze floods and potential loss. Advances in Earth Sciences 18: 277–284 (in Chinese with an English abstract). , .
- 2002. Landscape dynamics of the spread of Sudden Oak Death. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 68: 1001–1009. , .
- 1988. River dynamics and vegetation mosaicism: a case study of the river Kamajohka, northernmost Finland. Journal of Biogeography 15: 703–719. , .
- 2007. How did common ragweed (Ambrosia artemisiifolia L.) spread in Québec? A historical analysis using herbarium records. Journal of Biogeography 34: 1751–1761. , , .
- 2010. The invasion of a large lake by the Eurasian genotype of common reed: the influence of roads and residential construction. Journal of Great Lakes Research 36: 554–560. , , .
- 2003. Geographic patterns of urban residential development. In: BootsB, OkabeA, ThomasR, eds. Modeling geographic systems: statistical and computational applications. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 13–31. .
- 2007. Expansion pathways of the exotic common reed (Phragmites australis): a historical and genetic analysis. Diversity and Distributions 13: 430–437. , , , .
- 1985. Studies on the distribution, harmfulness and control of Eupatorium adenophorium sprengel. Acta Ecological Sinica 5: 1–6.(in Chinese with an English abstract) , , .
- 1988. Photosynthetic characteristics of Ageratina adenophora and their ecological significance. Acta Botanica Yunnanica 10: 475–481. , , .
- 2000. Assessing the extent, status, and dynamism of plant invasions: current and emerging approaches. In: MooneyHA, HobbsRJ, eds. Invasive species in a changing world. Washington, DC, USA: Island press, 141–168. .
- 2005. Understanding the spatial diffusion process of SARS in Beijing. Public Health 119: 1080–1087. , , , , .
- 2006. Long-distance dispersal of plants. Science 313: 786–788. .
- 2002. Mechanisms of long-distance dispersal of seeds by wind. Nature 418: 409–413. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Plant migration rates and seed dispersal mechanisms. Journal of Biogeography 28: 795–800. .
- 2000. Role of light availability and dispersal in alien plant invasion along roads and streams in the H. J. Andrews Experimental Forest, Oregon. Conservation Biology 14: 64–75. , .
- 2001. Noxious weeds of Australia. Collingwood, Australia: CSIRO Publishing. , .
- 1995. Effects of disturbance on herbaceous exotic plant species on the floodplain of the Potomac River. American Midland Naturalist 134: 244–253. .
- 2005. Spatio-temporal dynamics of plant invasions: linking pattern to process. Ecoscience 12: 302–315. , .
- 1993. Plant invasions and the role of riparian habitats: a comparison of four species alien to central Europe. Journal of Biogeography 20: 413–420. , .
- 2000. New frontiers in the study of dispersal and spatial analysis of epidemics caused by species in the genus Phytophthora. Annual Review of Phytopathology 38: 541–576. , .
- 2005. Red brome (Bromus rubens subsp. madritensis) in North America: possible modes for early introductions, subsequent spread. Biological Invasions 7: 165–180. .
- 1984. The sequence of phased uplift of the Himalayas. In: WhyteRO, eds. The evolution of East Asian environment: geology and palaeoclimatology. Hong Kong, China: Center of Asian Studies, 56–70. .
- 2007. Dispersal patterns, dispersal mechanisms, and invasion wave speeds for invasive thistles. The American Naturalist 170: 421–430. , .
- 2004. Determinants of long-distance seed dispersal by wind in grasslands. Ecology 85: 3056–3068. , , , .
- 1998. Ecological effects of roads and traffic: a literature review. Global Ecology and Biogeography 7: 317–333. .
- 2002. Rainstorm and flood of the Yangtze River in 1998. Beijing, China: WaterPower Press (in Chinese). , .
- 2003. Modeling long-distance dispersal of plant diaspores by wind. Ecological Monographs 73: 173–189. .
- 2002. Harm of Eupatorium adenophorum to grassland and its preventing and control methods. Sichuan Animal & Veterinary Sciences 6: 25–26. (In Chinese with English abstract) , .
- 1991. Rapid invasion of Fraxinus ornus L. along the Herault River system in southern France: the importance of seed dispersal by water. Journal of Biogeography 18: 7–12. , .
- 2007. Plant invasion across space and time: factors affecting nonindigenous species success during four stages of invasion. New Phytologist 176: 256–273. , .
- 2000. Review of ecological effects of roads on terrestrial and aquatic communities. Conservation Biology 14: 18–30. , .
- 2006. The dispersal characteristics of the invasive plant Mimulus guttatus and the ecological significance of increased occurrence of high-flow events. Journal of Ecology 94: 1080–1091. , , , , .
- 1986. The role of life history processes in primary succession on an Alaskan floodplain. Ecology 67: 1243–1253. , , .
- 1994. An investigation and research report on the dissemination of Eupatorium adenophorum on rangeland areas in Liangshan district of Sichuan province. Grassland of China 1: 62–64 (in Chinese with an English abstract). , , .
- 2008. Data-driven exploration of ‘spatial pattern-time process-driving forces’ associations of SARS epidemic in Beijing, China. Journal of Public Health 30: 234–244. , , , .
- 2006. Historical reconstruction of invasion and expansion and potential spread of some threatening invasive alien species in China. PhD thesis, Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of sciences, Beijing, China (in Chinese with an English abstract). .
- 2006. Invasion dynamics and potential spread of the invasive alien plant species Ageratina adenophora (Asteraceae) in China. Diversities and Distributions 12: 397–408. , .
- 2002. Climate change and dispersal. In: BullockJM, KenwardRE, HailsRS, eds. Dispersal Ecology. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing, 410–429. , .
- 1988. Hengduan mountain flora and her significance. Journal Japanese Botany 63: 297–311. .
- 2005. Study on the biological invasion by Eupatorium adenophora. PhD thesis, Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China (in Chinese with an English abstract). .
- 1997. Physical geography of Hengduan mountains. Beijing: Science Press (in Chinese). , , , .
- 1999. The investigation report on the poisonous and injurious plant Eupatorium adenophorum Sprengel in Sichuan Province. Sichuan Grassland 2: 39–42 (in Chinese with an English abstract). , .